Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whalley (Queen Mary's Hospital) Military Cemetery

CROONAERT

Does anyone have any original registers (2 actually - inter-war and post WW2) for this cemetery? If so, would it be possible for you to let me know how many graves it contained in circa 1930 and , again, circa 1950?

Thanks.

Dave.

(Incidentally, I visited this cemetery this morning and have photographed each grave individually. If anyone needs a photo of a particular grave here, just yell.)

Some nice views of (the "wrong" end of :P ) Pendle Hill from this (rather strange) little cemetery...

post-357-1172876483.jpg

I have a small modern book of this hospital , sort of an autograph book. Its a modern printing (last 10 years) Do you know or are you interested in details ?"MO"

"Words from the Wounded" by any chance, Mo?

I've got this one, thanks anyway. (If it's not the book I mention, then, yes please - please give me the details)

Got a few other bits and pieces about the hospital too (My Gt.Grandad was an orderly (civilian) there during the Great War (apart from a few months of 1917 when he was conscripted into a RCR - bit daft really seeing as he lost part of his hand courtesy of Kruger's boys 17 years earlier! :D ) ).

Dave

Hi,

I would be very interested in the infomation on thoes books. Also I would love to find out any info that anyone knows about the place in 1919.

My gt grandfather was a POW and on returning to England he was put into this hospital to restore his health.

Any info anyone can give me on the hospital or specifically ex-POWs in the hospital in 1919 would be very welcome.

Many Thanks

Oli

I would be very interested in the infomation on thoes books. Also I would love to find out any info that anyone knows about the place in 1919.

Oli.

"Words from the Wounded" was edited bt David Boderke and is ISBN 0861572483 . It's basically a collection of writings by wounded soldiers who stayed at Q.Mary's Hospital during the Great war, but also contains some information and a good number of very interesting photographs regarding it's wartime use.

Many of the buildings still exist today. If you want any photos on any particular sites , just say (I only live 6 miles away and will be going back in a few days to photograph some of the other plaques and memorials)

dave

(Incidentally, I visited this cemetery this morning and have photographed each grave individually. If anyone needs a photo of a particular grave here, just yell.)

Dave

If its ok to yell, I would love copies of the headstones for

Major J R Foster

Lieut H F Ransome

339535 Pte E Armstrong

34547 Pte E C Macphee

All RAMC men for my database and website.

Thanks

Barbara

Major J R Foster

post-357-1172881368.jpg

Lieut H F Ransome

post-357-1172881431.jpg

339535 Pte E Armstrong

post-357-1172881609.jpg

34547 Pte E C Macphee

post-357-1172881678.jpg

Dave

If its ok to yell, I would love copies of the headstones for

Major J R Foster

Lieut H F Ransome

339535 Pte E Armstrong

34547 Pte E C Macphee

All RAMC men for my database and website.

Do you need Pte. Corby too?

post-357-1172881765.jpg

...and their names on the memorial ...

post-357-1172881866.jpg

...and their names on the memorial ...

post-357-1172881962.jpg

Ooh, I missed Pte Corby.

Thank you so much Dave, I am in the process of setting up various photo galleries and then linking personel information to a photo of either them or their headstone.

I really appreciate this and will of course credit the photos to you.

Barbara

Interesting, I've just looked up Pte Corby's details to add to my spreadsheet but he is not listed in Soldiers Died, RAMC and he is on the CWGC website as being in the Labour Corps.

Strange!!

Barbara

Dave

Is it OK if I use the RAMC photos on the Roll of Honour Medical Database please

A few details with regard to the officers

JOHN ROWLAND FOSTER

Born 9/5/1880 Dundalk, Co Louth, Ireland

Lt 30/07/1906 Capt 30/01/1910 Maj 30/07/1918. Served India 1909-13 BEF 1914-1917 & 1918-19 N Russia Mar-Jul 1919

MID & Bar

Chris

Is it OK if I use the RAMC photos on the Roll of Honour Medical Database please

Feel free Chris. The photos will be on my own website shortly, though, so, if this database is to be published or put online, I'd appreciate it if the photos were credited accordingly.

Cheers

Dave

"Words from the Wounded" by any chance, Mo?

I've got this one, thanks anyway.

Dave

Yes thats the one , But its best to ask than not to ? you never know "MO" :rolleyes:

Just bemused by the plaque listing Penr. W.T. Hilton. Not Pioneer or Private so could this be Pensioner? The CWGC shows as Private W.T. Hilton, Royal Welsh Fusiliers and as there are others listed showing Private why should Hilton be different?

Just bemused by the plaque listing Penr. W.T. Hilton. Not Pioneer or Private so could this be Pensioner? The CWGC shows as Private W.T. Hilton, Royal Welsh Fusiliers and as there are others listed showing Private why should Hilton be different?

His grave is also "Pte". My first thought was it was a mis-spelling for Pioneer. I haven't looked him up on the CWGC site - what Bn was he?

Dave

post-357-1172934271.jpg

I haven't looked him up on the CWGC site - what Bn was he?

Just looked to answer my own question - 4th bn. I believe they were a pioneer Battalion?

Dave

Dave

Just out of interest, would you mind having a look to see which Corps badge is on the headstone for Samuel S ALSTON? He is also listed by the the CWGC as serving in the Labour Corps.

I am aware that the RAMC had drivers from the ASC working alongside them and men from the Royal enginners, and also the Sanitary Sections had Architects, Engineers and Builders but I thought they would have been identified by a different Corps badge.

As much as I respect Pte Corby as a victim of the Great War, I don't really want to add him if there is an error and he did not serve with the RAMC.

Thanks

Barbara

Just out of interest, would you mind having a look to see which Corps badge is on the headstone for Samuel S ALSTON? He is also listed by the the CWGC as serving in the Labour Corps.

Alston has a Labour Corps headstone.

Corby would have served with the RAMC - many headstones of men who died in the LC have the badge of their main "parent" unit. One East Lancs headstone in Accrington cemetery mentions the unit as Labour Corps, but is badged to the East Lancs - his main unit, before attachment to the LC. It's not really an error and seems quite standard practice.

Dave

Alston has a Labour Corps headstone.

post-357-1172937675.jpg