Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Many Cap Badges Of My Great Uncle

freddy1918

Given that I only recognise anything to do with the Guards, is anyone in a position to help me?

Rather bizarre that I know less about my own relative than anybody else I research, (Not as bizarre as the fact that Great Uncle Lance appears to morph into Damian Lewis from Band of Brothers as the war goes on)but if these turn out to be East Surrey, MGC, Royal Fusiliers then I have a match on a medal card.

Any Help appreciated

Freddy

post-18928-1172834502.jpg

post-18928-1172834839.jpg

post-18928-1172835066.jpg

post-18928-1172835109.jpg

I would have said - from top to bottom - the cap badges are; The Devonshire Regiment, the East Surrey Regiment (pic 2 and 3), and the Machine Gun Corps. Not very familiar with English regiments badges - so won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Barrie

A.S.C., East Surreys, MGC.

Dave

Dave, I bow down to your superior knowledge and eyesight - ASC does seem to be the badge in pic 1.

Barrie

see what you mean about Damian lewis too :lol:

Freddy.

Are you sure that the top photo is of the same person as the others? I don't think it is. (Check out the ear alignment for starters amongst a few other differences). They look like they could be related, but I'm almost certain that they're different people.

Dave

Thanks guys!

That means the medal card is a cert. (there were only two Christopher Churchills so I was onto a good thing anyway)

Dave,

I thought the same, so went over some other photographs and my great aunt swears the ASC photo is the same guy as Damian Le--- sorry, Christopher (He always went by Lance as a nickname). There were three brothers altogether and it's certainly not any of the other two. The eldest is a huge set guy, and he was apparently in the secret service during the war. The youngest was too young for the war and again, looks nothing like either of the other two. There are no cousins or anything, I thought perhaps it was just taken a while before the others.

There are a couple of other pictures from before the war that tie it all in I think.

post-18928-1172840594.jpg

post-18928-1172840707.jpg

ASC, East Surrey and MGC - smashing photographs. I think it just shows the way the war aged the men.

Thanks for posting them.

The first is definately "Ally Slopers Cavalry", you can even see the entwined "ASC" in the centre of the badge.

The seated one, with the dog, would be nice in colour. Although he is wearing his greatcoat and cap, he has been wounded, and is wearing "Hospital Blues". The clue being the collar and tie, white shirt and red tie, being worn by an Other Rank.

Note that he has two wound stripes "up" in the MGC photo.

.....but if these turn out to be East Surrey, MGC, Royal Fusiliers then I have a match on a medal card.

post-18928-1172834502.jpg

Looking at how old he is, and how smart he is, the ASC photo is taken whilst still on home service. Love the "affectation" with his chin strap.

"Home Service", ie not being oversea's, in the unit would explain why it is missing from the listing on his medal card.

Thanks for the details on the wounds. My great aunt filled me in. The nature of them dosen't affect me - being female, but my brother says that the description of it makes his blood run cold! Needless to say it involved a bayonet and the poor thing never married. :(