Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Western Front 1916

jeantoovey@gmail.com

Hi, I am trying to trace a paticular Australian Chap that was stationed in verious places during WW1 in France & Belguim. I was hoping that perhapse their are Forum members that might know of some of these sights that he was known to be. I know he was connected with Artillery. I have found a photo on the web connected him to a HQ detail. 4th Aus div field artillery. What i am trying to find out is, are the following places connected with other HQ div. Some of the places i believe are ammunition dumps. dont know witch ones.

FLEURBAIX June 1916 Spent Training

STEENWERCK July " " "

ACQUIN August '' Training & Rest

VLAMERTINGHE late August until December moved about until staying at MONTAUBAN. Stayed here until the end of Dec moving to BURIE.

BOTTOM WOOD Feb to April 1917

BAPAUME FAVREUIL April

FAVREUIL & VAULX May

BAILIEUL ,WESTHOF FARM

NIEPPE JULY

PtMORTIER,KEMMEL NEUVE EGLISE August

PRADELLES,POPERINGHE,DE GRONEN September

YPRESS-MENIN ROAD AREA October, November

Moved about until March 1918

AGNICOURT March 1918

Here the information peters out.

Love to hear from anyone that knows of any of these places. Bit hard to visit from Australia. Macka

Hi Macka. I am not sure exactly what it is you are asking. Most of the places in your list are well known and would have seen most units at some time or other. A lot of them are in the rear of the Ypres Salient . 3rd Ypres ( Passchendaele) fought in second half of 1917. 1916 slightly south of Ypres saw the Fromelles action involving Australian forces. Bapaume is in the Somme area so his unit seem to have gone from the Somme to Ypres . A bit vague , I am afraid but some of the Ozzy experts will be along soon.

Tom, Sorry for being so vague, what i am trying to do is track down if i can, what he was envolved in.I know the Australian 4th DAC,s main role was to supply ammunition to the front lines, however dad was not a young man.hence the quirie on if anyone knows of HQ divisions attached to the places i have mentioned.

Because it means alot to me in my research to get as close to the facts as i can (probibly a little obsesed).

Macka <_<

macka , are you assuming he was attached to HQ. if you supply a name ? you may be surprised at what forum members can supply to you . "MO

macka , are you assuming he was attached to HQ. if you supply a name ? you may be surprised at what forum members can supply to you . "MO

"MO

RSM H.McKenzie 223 4th DAC (Aus) , this is what i am tring to find out . was he infact attached to HQ staff, or indeed was among the thick of it all.

I thought that this Hand Drawn landscape,might help you to put a few names to places,this Landscape is drawn from the Top of Mont Kemmel or Kemmelberg as it is spelt in Dutch.