Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The French and the Dardanelles

3rdID

I bought the book in 1978 and I've tried to read it two or three times but have given up before getting too far. It strikes me as being one of those book that one should read for a better understanding of the campaign, but something more interesting/readable keeps getting in the way.

Gareth

It strikes me as being one of those book that one should read for a better understanding of the campaign, but something more interesting/readable keeps getting in the way.

Maybe that explains why it's no longer in print. :lol::o

I have a copy. It is worth reading if you have a serious interest in the Dardanelles campaign. It should not be regarded as the definitive work on the French contribution but I have found few other books in English that deal exclusively with this subject. The book focuses mainly on the political and strategic considerations. There is very very limited information about what actually happened on the ground. It is expensive so you need to balance cost against utility. For most people, I doubt that the book is worth it because of the paucity of information about tactical and operational issues.

Robert

Thanks for the info Mr. Dunlop. I'm mainly looking for what happened on the ground. We never hear much about the French at Gallipoli. :unsure:

The French deployed 79,000 troops in the campaign of whom 47,000 became casualties ( including sick I believe); They also lost the battleship Bouret on 18.3.15 with the loss of over 600 lives.

Thanks for the info Mr. Dunlop. I'm mainly looking for what happened on the ground. We never hear much about the French at Gallipoli. :unsure:

No we do not though they lost almost as many killed as Anzac total casualties, their contribution is just not recognized,

Heres a pic I took back in 1989

post-13272-1172845774.jpg

As Robert says, there is not a lot about the French campaign on the ground in Cassar's volume, but I guess it has to be read by anyone with an interest in the French side of the campaign as there is so little written. It really is not an easy read, and I have never got that far into it - other than dipping here and there. The French seem to have made a decision to ignore the campaign as if they had never been there. By comparison Salonika is not forgotten, thoguth again little is said of the french side of the campaign. The French still attend the 5 nations ceremony in Salonika and are represented by a French Admiral at the Salonika ceremony at the Cenotaph each October.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm glad I didn't waste my money then.

Currently trying to think of something exciting to write here, but a confirmed member of the "Not the Western Front" brigade because these other theatres always seem more interesting!

I know how that feels. :blink: