Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Additions to Myland memorial, Colchester, Essex

SFayers

Hi Folks,

My mother has sent me a newspaper clipping, and I though some of you might be interested in this from the Essex County Standard, Friday 16th February 2007:

"TRIBUTE TO WAR VICTIMS AT LONG LAST

Some of Colchester's forgotten sons are finally to be honoured, 90 years after their deaths.

The names of four First World War heroes are being added to the war memorial in Myland.

Reginald Wass and brothers Donovan and Alan Stanford were killed in action in the Great War. William Gant survived a gas attack but never recovered and died in hospital three years after the conflict ended. The men's names were missed off the original roll of honour on Myland war memorial. But now they will join more than 60 other men whose names are carved in stone on the monument.

The Stanford brothers' family lived in Bergholt Road and ran a business in the town. Donovan reached the rank of 2nd lieutenant but died at the second battle of the Somme on the first day of the 1918 Great German Offensive. He took over when his machine gunner was killed, but was shot in the throat and died. Sixteen officers and 499 men from his regiment also died that day. Younger brother Alan was killed a year earlier on his way to the trenches. Sgt Reginald Wass, who served with the Royal Irish Hussars, was 37 when he was killed in November 1917.

William Gant's name is also being added to the growing list of Myland's war heroes. The private served with the cyclist battalion of the Essex Regiment. He never recovered from the effects of a gas attack and died, aged 45, in 1921. Grandson Peter Gant, of Lawford, said he was pleased his grandfather's name would now be remembered with Myland's other war heroes. 'It's very important - that's why I made an effort to get it done', he said. 'The opportunity came up because they were refurbishing the memorial'.

Parish councillor John Parker is spearheading the restoration. 'It was suffering from weather erosion and the names were becoming illegible', he said.

The additions will now be engraved on new stone panels on top of the original names."

Cheers

Steve

Hello Steve.

Good to hear that some more lost lads are finally to be commemorated.

Reginald Wass

Donovan Stanford

Alan Stanford

William Gant.

Remembered With Honour.

Terry W.