Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

14 Imperial Mounted Division ?

mikebriggs

Dear all

I am trying to decipher the following 'Casualty Form - Active Service'.

This chap originally enlisted into the South Notts Hussars before being posted to the Sherwood Forersters in 1917.

What does 14 I M D (?) mean ??? perhaps the D stands for Depot ??

or it could be:-

post-4619-1172583893.jpg

Any suggestions/ideas etc

thanks

Mike

Mike

South Notts Hussars were in the 1st Mounted Division (1MD) so your man is shown on the form as arriving for allocation to 1/8 Sherwood Foresters from the 1MD. See:

http://www.1914-1918.net/1mtddiv.htm

for details.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Sotonmate, your right of course :)

is the 14 (before 1MD) a ruse?

many thanks

Mike

Mike

I can only think that the 14 is to do with the year of construction !

You may need to check on my website ref and go to the Long Long Trail to find 1MD !

Sotonmate

I reckon you've got it there

I'll duble check the web site

cheers

Mike

Mike

It is not IMD, but IBD - 14 Infantry Base Depot. Every soldier arriving in France initially went to one of these before being posted to a unit.

Charles M

post-4619-1172605287.jpg

Charles, yes, I see what you mean - sorry my mistake - I should have made the image bigger to begin with.

At this resolution the 'M' does seem to become a 'B' :blink:

Is there a list of these IBDs and where in France they were?

Many thanks to both of you

Mike

Mike, looking at the records would you agree that he was a Derby Scheme man. Enlisted 20 November 1915 and mobilised , we'll say, 11 to 16 May 1916. If his number was changed on 24 April 1916 do you think therefore he was given a Sth Notts Hussars no, 2502, before being given the 7721 number, before he joined either regiment? There's also a 46207 number. What I am asking is, was he given his numbers before joining?

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Yes, I think this is the train of events (just as you have suggested)

29.11.15: Enlisted into S Notts Hussars under Derby Scheme

16.5.16: Mobilised under Derby Scheme

May-June 1916: Longmoor Camp Vaccinations & Training

Served with S Notts Hussar # 2502 ?

4.1.17: Sent to France 14 IBD then posted to 5th Res Battn Sherwood Foresters

6.1.17: Posted to 1/6th Battn SF and given number 7721

~April 1917: Renumbered 242511

(The 7721 and 242511 do follow the numbering sequence of the 1/6th Battn)

By the way he was later wound in 1917 (Lieven) and 1918 (during the storming of the Hidenburg line)

A great little story of one mans role (and sacrifice) B)

Basically what that means is that he had two regimental numbers, in two regiments, before even wearing a uniform.

Kevin

Well not quite,

He went to France with the 2505 number.

He spent 1-2 days in the 5th SF (with 2505).

Then, after transfering to the 6th Battn (in France), he aquired the 7727 number and kept that from 6.1.17 until about 30.3.17 (up to the TF renumbering). He then recieved the 242511 number which he kept for the duration. I think :unsure:

A quick search on Google gives me the following locations for Infantry Base Depots (IBD)

18 Etaples?

19 Etaples

21 Etaples

28 Rouen

33 Etaples

48 Rouen

but no 14th :(

Well not quite,

He went to France with the 2505 number.

He spent 1-2 days in the 5th SF (with 2505).

Then, after transfering to the 6th Battn (in France), he aquired the 7727 number and kept that from 6.1.17 until about 30.3.17 (up to the TF renumbering). He then recieved the 242511 number which he kept for the duration. I think :unsure:

Well not quite. I think it is only important for those people who may have an interest in the numbering of the Sherwood Foresters.

He went to France with the 7721 no.. His prevous no. of 2502 was with the Sth. Notts Hussars, which looks as if he didn't serve in, but was given to him on attesting. What I do not understand is the 46207 no., and the change of no. on 24 April 1916.

Kevin

Well not quite. I think it is only important for those people who may have an interest in the numbering of the Sherwood Foresters.

Kevin,

I agree totally - let me have a think about this.

He (Archibold Branson) is in an alphabetical block of men that runs from 7710 (242502) to 7798 (242587), who were enlisted/transferred into the 6th Battalion SF.

There is the odd S Notts Hussars man in that block, but in the next block of numbers there is a big transfer in of men who had also served in other TF units and were processed through the 2**** number scheme and this does include numerous S Notts Hus. This block runs from 242595 to 242639; they do not have a 4-digit number so must be have transferred in after March 1917.

The block of men in which Branson appears stars with 669/7711/242502 John Atkinson who served with 1st South Notts Hussars in Egypt (arrived 26.4.15), but I’m certain that Branson did not serve overseas prior to his arrival in France on 4.1.17.

I do see the change of number to 46207, but do not have an answer for that yet.

At this point in the War I think that the 5th and 6th Res Battalions (i.e 3/5th and 3/6th) had merged so I can buy into him having the 7721 number prior to moving to France, but this means that he must have transferred from S Notts Hus to 5th Res in England prior to moving to France (which is what I think you are saying).

Let me look over the records again.

cheers

Mike

Here we go again - my revision B)

Archibold Branson attests on the 29th November 1915 into the South Notts Hussars (and given the number 2505)

He's sent home and then mobilised 16th June 1916. At this point the Militray Service Act is in full swing and instead he is sent to the most approriate Regiment (?) and/or Training Reserve (?)

This is the Sherwood Yeomanry and given the number 46207 (?)

End of 1916 the 1/6th Battn Serwood Foresters calls for a reinforcment. Approx. 100 men are taken from a Training Reserve and allocated 1/6th Battn numbers in alphabetical order (A - W: 7710 - 7803) and sent to the 5th Res Battn. These then go on to France and are ultimately renumbered in March 1917.

From 1/6th Battn War Diary:-

"7th January - Draft of 180 OR (160 past by trained) joined Battn and sent to Bde training Depot"

Also Branson's form

post-4619-1172645106.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Mike, works in perfectly with the War Diary. 24 April 1916 for change of no. must be a rubber stamp mistake. That is when he was changed to 242511.

Kevin