Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery

Guest Pamela29

I have at last traced some of my grandfathers army records. I know that he was with the Royal Field Artillery no 835713 Driver.But his medal card says RFA/147B. So does this mean he was in the 147th Batalion. But i don't seem to be able to trace anything further on the Batalion.If anyone can point me in the right direction, i would be grateful.

regards

Pam

Pam: The notation RFA/147B has nothing to do with his unit; it is the volume and page reference to the medal roll that contains his name. His regimental number of 835713 does. though. help to identify that in late 1916/early 1917 he was a member of the 3rd Midland Brigade, RFA TF. The first line of this brigade, 1/3rd South Midland Brigade, RFA became 242 Brigade, RFA in the 48th Division and the second line of this brigade, 2/3rd South Midland Brigade, RFA became 307 Brigade in the 61st Division. A good amount of information about both of these brigades can be found in "Before the Echoes Die Away" by NDG James, published by the 268th Officers Reunion Association in 1980. Dick Flory

Hello Dick

Thank you so much for your reply. You have been so helpful.I will have a look for the book and read up on what he and he fellow servicemen had to go through.

Thank you once again

Pam