Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captured WW1 tank - L56 (or I56?)

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

On eBay at the moment, is a picture postcard of a captured tank. The picture shows German soldiers posing for a photo of it.

Can anyone supply more info on this tank....??

I have no interest in the sale - nor do I have a connection with the seller (apart from the fact that a long time ago, I bought a book on airships from him).

post-23-1070797035.jpg

Teapots,

There are a couple of photos of Germans with their tanks prizes in D. Fletcher, The British Tanks, 1915-1919, Ramsbury, 2001. Neither are L56, but I thought you might be interested.

Do you know if tanks had unique numbers, or would L56 have been allocated to a new tank after the loss of the first one?

Regards,

David

Interesting challenge. I do not have specific information. However, L Battalion was formed in mid-1917. It became 12th Battalion in January 1918. The tank is a Mk IV Male. After this time (supposing that L56 retained this), then it would have to be pre- July 1918 when the Mk V was introduced. 12th Battalion was only involved in significant battles after this date. The photograph appears to have been taken in late autumn/winter (likely soon after the tank was knocked out by anti-tank fire but this may not be the case). Two major actions took place in this time frame - Third Ypres and Cambrai. To the best of my knowledge, L Battalion was not present at Cambrai. At least, it is not listed in any OOB that I have and there were no tanks kept in reserve. Nor can I find any record of L Battalion being involved in any of the battles of Third Ypres. In any case, the ground simply does not match the the descriptions or photographs of the latter phase of Third Ypres that I have seen. Also, tanks rarely got far enough into German lines to enable such a tranquil photograph to be taken at Third Ypres.

Now if it were I56 then my money would be on Cambrai but it does look like an L.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Robert

So now I have read the information on ebay. The tank must be I56 if it was at Cambrai. I Battalion accompanied the 20th (Light) Division of III Corps, over Welsh Ridge and down the canal at Les Rues Vertes. This attack was on the middle right of the Cambrai assault and it went very well. However, several tanks were hit by AT fire as they approached the St Quentin canal. It is likely that these tanks could not be recovered as they were in relatively open ground. This same fact would make it unlikely that a photograph could be taken after the Germans had recaptured this area - it would have been under direct observation by the British.

Twenty tanks of I Battalion also took part in the abortive attacks on Fontaine on 23rd November, the furthest advance of the British. Most of the tanks were knocked out and this is very possibly the site of I56. It would be hidden from the view obtained from Flesquieres.

Robert

According to Gibot and Gorczynski `Following the Tanks: Cambrai', I56, commanded by 2Lt J Steeple, was abandoned with a holed petrol tank on the southern outskirts of Bourlon during the attack on the village on 24 November. I56 was a Male tank and I am pretty sure that this is the one in the photograph.

Charles M

Perfect. Bourlon was only a short distance from Fontaine and I56 could well have been left on the far side of the ridge/village, thus out of sight of the British salient.

Robert

From the Official History of the War, tanks were used to attack Bourlon and the associated wood on the 24th and 27th November 1918. I Battalion tanks were used on both occasions. On 24th, they were in support of 40th Division. On 27th, they accompanied the Guards. The Battleground Europe series on Bourlon Wood: Cambrai (ISBN 0 85052 818 6) has other pictures of I battalion wrecks lying around the Bourlon Village, though I cannot make out I56.

Robert

Guest Pete Wood

Many thanks for all the info on this tank, chaps - and the area in which it was knocked out.

The photo/postcard sold for $67 (£45), for those who are interested.