Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Sebastian "Crasher" Nichols

freddy1918

Hi,

Another Etonian I have been looking at. Again, I have run into him referenced for WW2, but am doing some work on his service with the Lincolnshire Regiment during WW1.

Has anybody come across anything on him? Namely where did the nickname come from? I have a photograph of him at school and he looks utterly harmless, the only time he ever appears as menacing is in Maths contests where he looks like he was unstoppable!

Freddy :blink:

Hi Freddy,

Is this J.S. Nichols of the 1/5th battalion Lincolnshire Regiment?

If so he was wounded 13/10/1915 at the Hohenzollern Redoubt and again at Lens on 19/06/1917. After recovery he went on to be Bombing officer with the Border Regiment. He was an officer in A Company of the 1/5th Lincolns.

I have never heard of the 'crasher' nickname, intriguing, was this given at Eton?

If it is the same man, he does get mentioned in the official history and the war diary (if I remember correctly) would have to check,

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

I've only ever heard the nickname in connection with WW2, where he is ranked quite highly. I believe he was at Alamein. I've seen references to North Africa.

I'm sure that's the right man. I remember seeing the battalion details somewhere. I think (off the top of my head) that he left Eton at the end of 1914/beginning of 1915 so the dates would up.

Thank for the info about the injuries!

Freddy

• 5 months later...

"The Crasher" although his nickname with 5th was actually "Strafing Henry" is one of the most famous 5th Battalion officers that has ever lived and probably the most decorated to boot. Awarded the DSO and Bar for WW2 and several US decorations for his work with the Airborne Recon Force during WW2. Monty hated the guy!

Those DSO's arent for just hanging around behind the British lines either......he goes forward alone with a Bren towards the German positions, incredibly reckless when one considers his rank.

Steve has probably in haste forgot to mention that he was awarded the Military Cross for WW1

What exactly is it you want to know about him? My research file on him is complete with photos from both WW1 and WW2.

If you would rather research the guy yourself I wouldnt want to deprive you of exciting discoveries.......because there are lots.

Steve.

• 7 years later...

Sorry a really late post to this thread but I got to see Crasher Nichols' medals, a fair old set:

DSO (and bar), MC (and bar), 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Allied Victory Medal (with MID leaves), George V Indian GSM (with two Waziristan bars), George VI GSM Palestine, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star (8th Army Bar), France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal (with MID leaves), Greek Military Cross and US Legion of Merit (Officer Grade).DSO (and bar), MC (and bar), 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Allied Victory Medal (with MID leaves), George V Indian GSM (with two Waziristan bars), George VI GSM Palestine, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star (8th Army Bar), France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal (with MID leaves), Greek Military Cross and US Legion of Merit (Officer Grade).

Anyway someone maybe interested.

Sakr