Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cap Badge/uniform regiment?

Emma Richardson

post-19415-1172446046.jpgCan anyone identify the cap badge / regiment shown in this photo. I know it says 1919 but I am assuming that it was continued service in France. I know nothing about this photo, apart from it shows a relative, so any information, no matter how trivial, would be a great help. Thanks for your help.

It's Machine Gun Corps, and possibly Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry) by the look of the uniforms.

Thanks for such a prompt reply......my knowledge of all things military is zero. Was the machine gun corps a regiment which came into being during 14/18 - and would someone have volunteered to join it when joining up or could he have been conscripted into it? Can you tell me where I can find out more about the corps and its men?

The man to the left of the officer has a square "flash" up.

It looks as if it has lighter lines on it, possibly tartan. However, I not have the technology to enlarge it enough to see it clearly.

Thanks for such a prompt reply......my knowledge of all things military is zero. Was the machine gun corps a regiment which came into being during 14/18 - and would someone have volunteered to join it when joining up or could he have been conscripted into it? Can you tell me where I can find out more about the corps and its men?

The British branch of the Machine Gun Corps came into being 1915, and for their loyal/suicidal services during the war they were disbanded in 1922.

The man to the left of the officer has a square "flash" up.

It looks as if it has lighter lines on it, possibly tartan. However, I not have the technology to enlarge it enough to see it clearly.

Sorry, to clarify. I mean to the officers left.

Sorry, to clarify. I mean to the officers left.

Hi BeppoSapone

Sorry to be dense again but what does "square "flash" up signify .....I do have the technology,if the original allows it,to look at detail.

Hi BeppoSapone

Sorry to be dense again but what does "square "flash" up signify .....I do have the technology,if the original allows it,to look at detail.

Sorry for the "techy" language Emma.

What it means is that the soldier is wearing a square cloth badge sewn on to his upper sleeve.

If you were able to "blow up" this badge, and post it in this thread, it might be possible for someone to identify the Division, Brigade etc that the men are serving with.

Hope this helps.