Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Not happy about this - anyone else seen this before?

steve fuller

I understood that all different Regiments a chap served in during the war were recorded on his MIC. I seem to have a case here that does not work like that and wondered if it is more common than I previously expected?

One of my Beds boys from the 1st Btn pre war, during and post war; the MOD sent the mans record which included a spell in the Royal Irish Fusiliers in Salonika but his MIC does not mention that period whatsoever. I have not seen this before so my question is has anyone else?

Cheers :huh:

Steve.

I am absolutely no expert on MICs at all but I don't think they worked that way.

I think their purpose was to record a man's eligibility for medals - nothing more. So if a man was in Regiment A in October 1915 (say) to qualify for the 1915 Star that would be recorded. If he was in Regiment Z in at the end of the war when the Victory and War Medals allocations were being decided that would also be recorded. If he was in Units B - Y in between they would have no interest in that (being irrelevant for that purpose) and it would not be recorded.

I may be completely wrong though. :)

Neil

I noticed the same the other day having downloaded one of the WO364 records. In summarising it for "Pumpkin", I noticed that whilst the Medal Card says Y&L regiment and RDC, the service record also gives NF & West Yorkshires in between.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry630174

I can only think that some of the MICs are stating "first and last" (in fact the 1914 star card specifically have on them "(A) When decoration was earned" and "(B.) Present situation".

From an entirely medal issuing point of view the rest would not logically be relevant. Whilst a lot of cards may well add the other regiments served with, I think there most be a fair few out there that don't.

Which could be a bu**er for research purposes :(

I've noticed that the "Warley" records seem quite minimalist from a recording point of view.

By the way, do the 5th Bedfords 1914-15 Star Rolls record pre-1917 or post 1917 numbers in general? The Northamptons record post 1917.

Steve.

(Heads off to have a think about his great-uncles WW1 career again...)

EDIT: Sorry, Neil. Took longer to compose (myself) than you....

IS it not the MICs record the units when the recipient was eligible for the medal award that is home service did not count and if served with a different regiment was not mentioned. Gareth

Thanks all

Previously, MIC's I have seen list units in the middle as well, whether they affect the medal entitlement or not, which is why this surprised me somewhat. The Medal Rolls often have info on what units they moved to but in this case there is no mention of the Irish unit whatsoever, perhaps as he started and finished his service in the Bedfords, although in different Btns.

Oh well, probably best to assume none of them record middle units and be pleasently surprised if others turn up then :)

Steve - both. If they fell before the re-numbering then they are recorded by their old 4 digit no's of course but those with the 6 digit ones have notes about their previous numbers, units etc. also. Why, do you need something on the rolls or was it purely for a comparison?

Once again, thanks all B)

Steve

I've seen this quite often and there doesn't seem to be a logical pattern.

It's another example of the British Army not following the rule book. I'm sure someone can post a nice picture of an Army Council Instruction which lays down the regulations, but the fact is they weren't always followed.

Mick

Steve as you know many Mics show multiple units served but the question is were these overseas on "active service" . The point I was making was that In theory service with each of these units would be eligible for the relevant medals and I have seen 2 MIcs for the same man different units being awarded and given medals (but the later ones returned). Of course regulations do not allow for this and its the first unit only awarded. But there remains scope for other home service even for a short period which as Chris says would be on their service records but as they were not active as such were not eligible for an award thus no MIC entry. How well this holds water is another matter and you could be that some MICs do contain "home service" details. That question should remain open to other pals who can confirm either way. Gareth

Just comparison, Steve.

I've started going through the 1914-15 Star Rolls for the Northamptons and was surprised to see the 6-digit numbers only with no reference to earlier numbers. Having said that I only have half the rolls at the moment, of which most of the men on that section made it to the end of the war.

Steve.