Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Irish project

Desmond7

Sorry to be 'ethnic' BUT - I have a proposal to make to those members of the forum who have specific Irish interests. Those who are interested can give me a PM.

Want to guage level of interest/input before saying owt in public .. mainly in case it all falls to the proverbial.

:)

Des

Hi Des

I have a particular Irish interest - namely the 1st and 2nd battalion Irish Guards (GG fathers regiment) and would be very interested to here your proposal.

Currently working through the 2nd Battalion War Diaries.

Very interested in stats for Ireland - how many men fought, died etc from both North and South. And also, how many of these men fought in English regiments. Or even in the American army.

Anyway, very interested to hear your proposal.

Tks

Brian

Can I ask those who have contacted me about this project if they would be available for a discussion (real time) in live chat?

Possible date/time .... say Thursday 8.30pm or 9pm?

Failing that, suggestions please.

Cheers

Des

PM sent before notice of live chat on thurs. Sounds good to me if I'm not doing my unpaid taxi service again with football, hurling and camogie training starting this week - the short notice my children give me is crazy. Hope to be there.

Laura.

Des,

Count me in also, being based in Kildare, with an interest in anything involving Irishmen in khaki.

Mark

Does the proposed project also include Irishmen who joined English regiment?

What about Englishmen that joined an Irish Regiment? I have a few from my local area.

Spill the beans Des!!

I'll try to make tonight's live chat, but it depends on the domestic creeping barrage. I'm not sure that I have enough knowledge to make much of a contribution.

Peter

Des, can't make Thursday.

Will send you some ideas in the mean time.

Isadore

Yip - all in betwen 8.30pm and 9pm. Should be able to finito shortly after that - unless any major issues crop up.

Sorry to be 'ethnic' BUT - I have a proposal to make to those members of the forum who have specific Irish interests. Those who are interested can give me a PM.

Want to guage level of interest/input before saying owt in public .. mainly in case it all falls to the proverbial.

:)

Des

Des,

Greetings from Brisbane. (Cork origins).

My interest is focused on the the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

To date have collected biographies and photo collections donated by various people.

Sullivan.

I don't quite know what the proposal is here but are you not duplicating something which has already been done? It is just that this thread seems purposely to be secretive to the rest of us as to what is intended so I might be falling short of the mark. But I have an eight volumed set entitled "Ireland's Memorial Records 1914-18" being the names of Irishmen who fell in the Great European War, 1914-18, compiled by the Committee of the Irish National War Memorial with decorative borders by Harry Clarke. The forward commences "the object of these volumes is to perpetuate the names and personalities of over 49,000 Irishmen who fell in the Great War". These were produced in Dublin in 1923 and my copy is a fairly recent reprint. It then lists in alphabetical order similar stuff to SDGW the very first entry being :-

ABADIE, NOEL Reg. No. 593350. Rank. Rifleman. The London Regiment, 18th Batt. (London Irish Rifles); died of wounds , France, January 9 1918; born Marylebone.

Jim - the thread is not meant to be a tremendous secret ...

Anyone who has expressed an interest has been given full information.

I would love to have you on board.

Hello Des

Have been off the forum for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Would be very interested in your project. As you probably know from previous posts my main interest is in Shanes Park Camp in Randalstown.

James

It does have the appearance of a tremendous secret. Lets have it out in the open so anyone on the forum can contribute.......

http://www.freewebs.com/ireland1418/index.htm

Due to public demand - as you can see, no great secret. It is NOT aimed at rivalling the GWF (which would be laughable). It is simply a 'collection' area for specific Irish interests.

As you will see there is a lot of work to be done. Those who have PMd me have been kept up to date on various ideas.

It is now up to those who wish to become involved to play their part in building up this resource.

The 'core' of the site will be the chronology followed by 'Orange Green and Khaki' - we do need a cavalry input and also naval/air expertise.

John Hartley has recently suggested some methods of categorising the 'document repositry' on the forum. THis is something along the same lines and, as stated, a 'project' which is open to all.

Des