Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 UBoat

colin55

Another challenge for Google Earthers - is there a sub up a creek in Norfolk somewhere? I'm sure I saw a piccy once, dating to the 1970s, but with my memory...

Adrian

I'm a bit confused....the 'i' marks already identify it as a submarine as do the other marks in the area.

Mick

I'm a bit confused....the 'i' marks already identify it as a submarine as do the other marks in the area.

Mick

All those i marks distort the images. Besides you would only see this i if you zoomed down considerably. I can now see it has been marked but that is not to say it has been properly identified. As you probably know, most of the i's are absolute rubbish - things such as "my house" and that kind of drivel...

I applied the yellow flags myself.

Private to Brigadier General in 12 months, now thats very impressive... Wonder if it's ever really happened in real life?

Are you still confused mate?

Neil

There are also some off Kingsnorth Power Station which i am informed are scrapped British ones from Chatham Dockyard. They can be seen at low tide close in to the shore.

Roop

Private to Brigadier General in 12 months, now thats very impressive... Wonder if it's ever really happened in real life?

Neil

Thats cos i ask a lot of questions, answer a few and generally yap on.

Mick

• 1 year later...

There was an article on scrapped U-boats in the new magazine - Britain at War I think is the title - a couple of editions ago. Also worth visit U boat.net - or similar - on the internet. It has a good section on WWI boats, potted 'careers' of most of them, commanders and etc including the boat's final fates, if only in broad terms. If there is sufficient interest I can post a list of the (relatively) large number of translations of U boat commanders' works, given a few days. As I say will post if interest is sufficient (and would welcome corrections and additions if I have missed any.

Regards

David

It's interesting that U 122 and U 123 are mentioned as probable/possible identities. According to the Hydrographic Office (Wrecks Section) U 122 and U 123, along with U 152, U 153, UB 122 and UC 110 were surrendered and brought to the UK following the Armistice. They were reported to have been scuttled (not specified exactly how) at the end of June/beginning of July 1921, and all now lie in a fairly concentrated area in mid English Channel south of the Isle of Wight. I'm no nearer proving their identities but that's the information I have discovered.

I've spent some time at the NA trying to find more general information about the surrender of U boats and their subsequent disposal, so far without success. Has anyone reading this fared better?

Dave W

• 2 months later...

Any idea's where the first photo on p 1 was taken exactly ?

• 1 month later...
Guest Jimeaston

Hello

There is an article about the Submarines and how they got their in this months MOTOR BOATS monthly ,

under "Medways Ghosts" pages 46 to 50. has some great pics of the wrecks.

The Boats were sold to a Mr Albert Batchelor a local cement manufacturer Batchelor removed the coning towers to allow the hulls to pass under Rochester Bridge then towed then upriver to his cement works at Halling. There he removed the engines and generators and used two of the MAN diesels to replace the elderly steam engines he used to power the cement works. He stored the machinery from several other boats until he could find suitable buyers.The submarine themselves with the missing conning towers and large holes cut in the side where the engine removed were of no further use to him and were towed back down stream for the breakers. Some reports claim there was a storm others that they were deliberately dumped,. What ever is true all three boats ended up stranded on Stoke Saltings, two lying close together and the other in Humble Bee Creek. Salvage was considered uneconomic at the time because of the surfeit of steel following the first world war. The urgent need for steel in the second world war led to the scrapping of the two boats in Slede Ooze in 1940-41 although their bottom plates were left in place because of the difficult working environment. The Third boat in Humble Bee Creek was left untouched for some unknown reason. It is a sham that extensive research in both the UK and Germany it has not been possible to confirm the identity of the submarine. The Two boats in Slede Ooze are thought to be UB-76 and UB-93 but opinions differ on the third boat the most likely candidate being U-122 although other the possibility of U-123 or UB-122 a definite identity may never be established.

Regards to All

TN :ph34r:

At first sight, the third one at Humble Bee Creek has the specific nose shape of a UBIII-type sub.

• 1 month later...

My mum is currently working on a demolition project at Kingsnorth power station on Long Reach and Oakhamness jetties. She mentioned some wrecked submarines and took this photo.

Wrecked subs

Looking at the other "mystery" u-boat on Humble Bee Creek on aerial photos it seems to me that it is a UBIII sub rather than the UE2.

The UBIII was 55.3m (181.4ft) while the UE2 was 81.52m (267.5ft)

When vessels sit in mud the outline remains visible long after the protruding structures decay so it is possible to get a good idea of the length. Based on the google maps aerial shot at the largest scale, I calculated the length of the u-boat at 56m based on 10.7 pixels per m. That's nearly spot on for the UB-III/

This is a scale comparison using the line drawings from uboat.net, scaled to match the google map image.

3292132292_afe377e3cf_o.jpg

I'm inclined to think that the length has been exaggerated over the years.

The bow was cut off to comply with an international treaty. When the bow was cut off, they probably just cut it and let it fall away. The bow is currently sitting right next to the front of the sub. If it was a heavily corroded UE-2 type sub with much of the fore and aft portions lost to the ravages of time one would expect the cut off bow to be sitting away from the rest of the sub by about 30ft