Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VAD name on War memorial

Tony Fewkes

Terry,

"Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem"

Directed at anyone in particuar? :D

Roy

Terry, I went back to the library and found your reference. Thank you. The spelling is actually THORENC (no final "e") and with that spelling I was able to Google it – even found an old article and photo for sale on ebay, which I bought. From what I could see online, I believe the old Chateau has been turned into modern apartments with a part of the old structure preserved. I was also able to get some good photos from the Red Cross book which you brought to my attention.

John

• 2 years later...

Tony,

You asked if I could discover why Olive came to be in North Wales. I can not be definitive on this, but after putting together some fragments, I think it was because she was staying with her sister Violet Alice Ione Clayton (nee de Thoren). Violet had married Gerald Edward Cririe Clayton in 1908. Gerald was a barrister and he and his wife lived in Penarwel, Llanbedrog, North Wales. In the Great War Gerald was a 2nd Lieutenant with the Royal Marines, dieing on 5 September 1915 and is buried at the local cemetery at Llanbedrog. It is likely that Olive went to stay with her widowed sister to assist with Violet's children - Ralph, Aymar and Evelyn. Violet eventually sold her house in Penarwel in 1926 just prior to her remarriage to William Eatherley.

Hope this is useful. Best wishes, Kay

I have just come across a reference to Olive in the Deaths part of the BMD section of the North Wales Chronicle dated 19th October 1917. It confirms she died of septic poisoning at Penarwel, Llanbedrog.No reference to Hertingfordbury.

I can confirm that she was buried at Llanbedrog.

Hywyn

I have just come across a reference to Olive in the Deaths part of the BMD section of the North Wales Chronicle dated 19th October 1917. It confirms she died of septic poisoning at Penarwel, Llanbedrog.No reference to Hertingfordbury.

I can confirm that she was buried at Llanbedrog.

Hywyn

Hywyn, Did the obituary say which cemetery or churchyard she is in at Llanbedrog? Jim

Jim

No, no mention of the burial location. She is however in the Llanbedrog Parish Register so highly likely the churchyard. I don't know that area all that well in terms of cemeteries etc. It's about 70 miles away from me.

It was a BMD entry not an obit. There may have been a fuller obit elsewhere in the paper but I wouldn't have picked up on it as that area is outside my geographical area of interest.

Hywyn

I've found the probate entry under her full name: she's given as "of White Heather Taplow Buckinghamshire", about 45 miles from the memorial. So doesn't explain the link either.

• 4 years later...
Guest Sally Scagell

Taplow is the home of the Grenfell family. (Their house is still there, next to Cliveden.)  Does that provide another clue perhaps?

I'm actually after some information on Baron Oscar Valentine de Satge who is buried in Fern Lane Cemetery, Little Marlow, Bucks. He died in 1946. His second wife, Maud Fisher, is also in the same vault.  Can anyone help me with discovering more about his naval career. He was a captain in the Royal Navy.

Sally

Oscar Ellis Aymar de Satge Thoren entered HMS Britannia in 1896, became Flag Lieutenant to Rear Admiral F.W. Fisher, Malta Dockyard and retired November 1910,

• 1 year later...

Thank you to all posts, all very interesting as I am a relative to Maud Fisher, her sister Tess was my great aunt , she lived at Bourne End Buckinghamshire, but the Fisher name I believe had roots in Bristol, one of which was well known for painting miniatures, and my fathers side originate from Bristol, hope this helps towards the tree being built ! 

• 7 months later...

Hi 

I'm doing research on the names on our local cenotaph in Summerland, BC, Canada, and Olive is also commemorated here.  I appreciate the information in the earlier posts.  Thanks everyone.  Here is some addition information from the local paper.

"Summerland Review  June 16, 1916

Local friends and acquaintances of Baron de Thoren will be interested in learning that he is now second in command of the 1-3 Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles. Miss de Thoren, another Summerland resident, and who returned to England with her sister, Mrs Garnett, is now a nurse at Bignor Park Military Hospital."

The Mrs Garnett mention in the article was married to Charles F Garnett and when the war broke out the three of them returned to England with Charles returning to his former regiment.  The Baron de Thoren lived in Summerland and returned to Summerland post war and had property in "Lower Town" Summerland.  He is probably the reason we had Olive on our Cenotaph.  Note that Olive, as a VAD, was not in the military and was only a civilian and not entilted to a CWGC grave marker nor on they list of the fallen.

Hopes that helps

Cheers

Paul

18 hours ago, Paul said:

Note that Olive, as a VAD, was not in the military and was only a civilian and not entitled to a CWGC grave marker nor on they list of the fallen.

Not so under current rules. If a VAD had worked in a military hospital and subject to Army discipline/regulations they are eligible for CWGC commemoration. This expanded acceptance came in a few years ago and the In From The Cold team are working hard in getting them recognised. Olive, according to the BRCS record card, worked at both the Connaught Military Hospital, Aldershot and the Military Hospital, Birmingham. She died before 1921 (October 1917) so I would say that she is eligible for CWGC recognition and commemoration. It is just a matter of time before someone puts her name forward. Unless she had resigned as a VAD prior to her death or some other technical reason comes into play.

• 3 years later...

I am the CWGC Eyes On Hands On volunteer for Llanbedrog Cemetery.  There are 4 current CWGC burials there, including GEC Clayton who is Olive Millicent's brother in law.  They share a triple width grave with the infant daughter of GEC Clayton and his wife Ione.   Myself and a EOHO supervisor are working towards having Olive recognised by the CWGC via the In from The Cold team.

Clayton had been a 2/Lt in the Royal Naval Division as a despatch rider with his own car.  He died of meningitis in 1915.  De Ruvigny';s Roll of Honour contains a fuller obituary and photo.

12 hours ago, Mark Relf said:

I am the CWGC Eyes On Hands On volunteer for Llanbedrog Cemetery.  There are 4 current CWGC burials there, including GEC Clayton who is Olive Millicent's brother in law.  They share a triple width grave with the infant daughter of GEC Clayton and his wife Ione.   Myself and a EOHO supervisor are working towards having Olive recognised by the CWGC via the In from The Cold team.

Clayton had been a 2/Lt in the Royal Naval Division as a despatch rider with his own car.  He died of meningitis in 1915.  De Ruvigny';s Roll of Honour contains a fuller obituary and photo.

Welcome to the GWF, Mark. Be careful as the site can become addictive.