Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Combining 'Linesman' and IWM Panoramic Photographs

Mark Hone

I have sorted out my initial teething problems with the excellent 'Linesman' trench map package. I am now thinking of the various ways that I can use this resource in my teaching /battlefield guiding. An obvious method is to combine the map reference/GPS references from 'Linesman' with the panoramic photographs in the superb Peter Barton book and CD-ROMs from the IWM. Has anyone else done this? A slight problem is that the exact map reference from which the photo was taken is not always given in the Barton book. Still, it's an exciting prospect. Next difficulty, how do 40 boys and five members of staff huddle round a laptop and PDA in the middle of the Passchendaele battlefield? I'll have to give that one a bit of thought.

Mark - I have been unable to down-load the photos from the Barton book. how have you managed it?

Ah I see; or rather I understand

Stephen

By the way, thanx for the article in the WFA on your recent trip

enjoyed it immensely

Yes, good idea Mark. To stand in the exact spot that the panoramas were taken from is very appealing. I think you are at the cutting edge here given how new the Linesman product is. Guy Smith will have some ideas , no doubt. Very exciting.

Keep in mind that teenagers will never be able to share a PDA so you will have to purchase a couple of dozen!

Surely downloading the images will be a copyright infringement.

John

Thanks for the replies. Stephen-I didn't realise the WFA had published something about one of my trips. Where did it appear? By the way, something very strange has happened to the WFA website. They seem to have gained access to Dr Who's Tardis: there are updates from 2010, 2012 etc.

I don't think that you can-that's why I'll need the laptop with me on site to run them from the disk.

Yes you can. I've both CD's sat on my harddrive, plus a back-up copy of both combined onto one CD while my originals sit nice and safe in their little folder in the book. Also managed to get one of the panoramas onto my PDA, but that was pretty pointless (and it takes ages!) so I gave up on this idea.

Dave.

Dave

Just look at the permitted use of the CD.

John

I did. Nothing particularly different to any other CD-ROM there really. I also followed the statement to "the word of the law" so to speak, so don't worry too much about it John :D

My point was that it is (physically) possible to copy the CDs, even though it can be a little tricky (I've known a few people who say that, for some reason, it can't be done).

Dave