Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ypres

jomoe

Good Day Paul,dont have to much info but,i am trying to trace my hero Grandfather .

DAVID PATRIC WALSH He was in either the South Lancs or East Lancashire regt,one of the distinguishing periods of his service was he was promoted to sergeant on the field,i am sure through oral history he was in Belgium Ypres He did return home from the war but died quite early from the effects gass poisoning.his home was Liverpool Toxteth UK but born in Ireland 10 Nov 1876,thank you for your time and efforts regards Joe veteran Royal Sigs

Hello Joe and welcome to the Forum,

you say your grandfather returned from the war but died quite early.

Did he die after the war or was he returned home wounded during the war ?

Hello Joe

Welcome to the forum.

Looking him up in the medals index, there are three David Walsh's in the South Lancs and none in the East. One is given as 13556 Acting Serjeant - could be him. Here is a link to his medal index card

You'll find lots of info about deciphering the card and how to research a soldier by clicking on The Long, Long Trail (top left of this page). Good luck!

Hello Joe and welcome to the Forum,

you say your grandfather returned from the war but died quite early.

Did he die after the war or was he returned home wounded during the war ?

Thanks for the welcome Jarvis and your interest Yes he did arrive home with no visable wounds to my knowledge,my younger brother has told me that he was in a army group called the Canaught Fighting 88,god knows who they were ?but went on to serve with the south lancs regt at Ypres and Pashendale and at some stage promoted to sergeanthave a nice day regards joe in west oz

Joe, I am not 100% sure but I think you may be referring to the famous Connaught Rangers 88th Regiment of Foot, also known as 'The Devils Own'. An Irish regiment.

I know they were involved in the Napoleonic wars, along with the 94th. I've not heard of them referred to as the Fighting 88 so I could be wrong. I'll do a bit of searching to try and confirm.

I also know the Connaught Rangers were involved in WW1 but not sure as to how the the regimental names, etc, were depicted.

I'll post you when I come up with something interesting .... seems like a good opportunity to improve my own history .... and the term Fighting 88 sounds interesting.

Jarvis

Joe, I am not 100% sure but I think you may be referring to the famous Connaught Rangers 88th Regiment of Foot, also known as 'The Devils Own'. An Irish regiment.

I know they were involved in the Napoleonic wars, along with the 94th. I've not heard of them referred to as the Fighting 88 so I could be wrong. I'll do a bit of searching to try and confirm.

I also know the Connaught Rangers were involved in WW1 but not sure as to how the the regimental names, etc, were depicted.

I'll post you when I come up with something interesting .... seems like a good opportunity to improve my own history .... and the term Fighting 88 sounds interesting.

Jarvis

Thank you again Jarvis look forward to your findings on the fighting 88?,,i am very new to this site why do we have varius ranks below names and photo's,cheers joe

It simply means the amount of postings made. For every x amount of postings the rank is raised, for examply after 5 I think you become lance corporal, after 50 or some such corporal, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean the 'rank' indicates anyone is more knowledgable - although I think the more posts you make and read indicates the level of your experience (over time). I'll attempt a bit more searching on the Fighting 88 after work - hopefully a more knowledgable member will add to this post and save me the search, but if not I will see what I can find out as it is an intriguing name.

Got to get on with some work now.

Jarvis

Hello Joe

Welcome to the forum.

Looking him up in the medals index, there are three David Walsh's in the South Lancs and none in the East. One is given as 13556 Acting Serjeant - could be him. Here is a link to his medal index card

You'll find lots of info about deciphering the card and how to research a soldier by clicking on The Long, Long Trail (top left of this page). Good luck!

Hello again Chris The medal index info on David Walsh South Lancs regt no 13556 is my G/father further info on him is South Lancs 8 Battalion Sergeant att to 16 Platoon,and was for a time Authuille theatre of war,may i ask what further info i can get on him also i dont have a bankcard can i pay via a bankcheqe ?

made up knowing i we have found him many thanks

I'm not having any luck in finding anything on the Fighting 88th.

Wondering if anyone on the Forum can enlighten ?

I have found reference to The Fighting Fifteenth, but that is not what I was searching for.

Out of interest - The Fighting Fifteenth were the American Field Artillery.

The 15th Field Artillery (FA) Regiment was organized in Syracuse, New York on 1 June 1917 from cadre transferred from the 4th FA Regiment. Assignment to the 2nd Infantry Division followed on 21 September 1917, and training took place at Pine Camp, New York. The Regiment left the United States on 11 December 1917 and sailed onboard the SS Adriatic for Liverpool, England.