Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

City of Edinburgh Volunteer Regiment

Ron Morris

I am researching Major Thomas Forsyth Brisbane who served as an officer in the 1st Battalion, The Queen’s Rifle Volunteer Brigade, the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) from 1901-1911, having previously served in the ranks.

Entries in the London Gazette indicate that he was again commissioned as a temporary Captain in the 1/1st Battalion, City of Edinburgh Volunteer Regiment on the 29th September, 1916 and resigned his commission on account of ill health on the 16th October, 1917.

I believe that this unit was part of the Volunteer Force of WW1 but that is all I know.

Can anyone provide any more information about this unit and its role? Did they have their own cap badge?

Brisbane, then a Lieutenant, received the Volunteer LSGC Medal sometime between 1902 and 1905. Can anyone provide the exact date of his award?

Regards,

Ron.

This unit, along with other volunteer units underwent some changes in name over the period in question. In 1901, it was the Ist Battalion, the Queen's Rifle Volunteer Brigade, a volunteer unit. Following the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908, it became the 4th Battalion (Queen's Edinburgh Rifles), The Royals Scots (Lothian Regiment). In March 1915, it was renamed the 1/4th following the formation of the 2/4th Battalion.

See this regiments.org for full details of the lineage. There is lots of information on the organisation of the British Army on The Long, Long Trail of which this forum is part.

post-7376-1172420560.jpg

member of Lanarkshire Volunteer Regiment.

Ron,

Correct first time the 1/1st City of Edinburgh Volunteer Regiment was indeed part of the VTC/Volunteer Force, the Home Guard of WWI. The date of recognition for that battalion and it's sister battalion was the 14th June 1916. By 1918 both had become the 1st & 2nd Volunteer Battalions of the Royal Scots. They would have initially worn their own cap badge but by mid-1916 on receiving government recognition the Royal Arms cap badge was being worn. As far as I'm aware Scottish units of the Volunteer Force didn't adopt kilts, Balmoral's, T.O.S. etc, but dressed the same as their English and Welsh counterparts(see attached). The battalions were disbanded on the 23rd January and 5th Febraury 1920.

Graham.

Gibbo and Graham,

Thanks very much for your very informative replies.

I am going to have to take more interest in the Volunteer units and the VTC/ Volunteer Force from now on.

It's interesting to think that there may well have been a previous generation of Captain Mainwaring, Sergeant Wilson, Corporal Jones, etc.!

Regards,

Ron.