Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Which Regiment

Guest pete 07 smith

welcome to the forum

do you know their names ?

stupid question - is that why some pubs are the lamb and flag?

stupid question - is that why some pubs are the lamb and flag?

No Ian, from wikipedia.

Lamb & Flag: From John 1:29 "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sins of the world". The Lamb is seen carrying a flag (usually of St George) and is the symbol of the Knights Templar along with the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors and St John's College, Oxford.

To the left we have a member of the Scottish Horse and the right as already pointed out The Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment).

Graham.

Guest pete 07 smith
welcome to the forum

do you know their names ?

The two men are.

On the left frederick samuel kirby born 1878 hackney london (my Wifes Grandfather)

and on the right is John edward kirby born 1886 hackney london (great Uncle) Brothers

No Ian, from wikipedia.

Lamb & Flag: From John 1:29 "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sins of the world". The Lamb is seen carrying a flag (usually of St George) and is the symbol of the Knights Templar along with the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors and St John's College, Oxford.

And also the city of Preston

cheers Martin B

The gentleman on the right is also a Corporal with three wound stripes.

Rob

A possible for John:

Medal card of Kirby, John E

Corps Regiment No Rank

London Regiment T/3025 Corporal

The Queen's Regiment 203705 Corporal

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=10

Steve.

I note the gent on the right has a blackened button second from top. I am told this means that a relative serving had been killed and denotes mourning. Was anyone from the family killed during the Great War?

NB can a learned member of the Forum confirm the meaning of blackened buttons...is it myth or truth?

TT

Lamb and Flag: a book called 'Saints, Signs & Symbols' calls it AGNUS DEI (The Lamb of God) with the Banner of Victory -then quotes St John's Gospel as previously noted and Revelation and Corinthians.

It describes the emblem as 'A white lamb with gold nimbus showing three red rays, and a red cross upon a white banner supported by a silver staff with a gold cross at the top, all on a blue field'.

I think the Preston version includes 'PP' which is usually interpreted as 'Proud Preston'.

Daggers.

• 6 years later...

attachicon.gifattachmentHi

This photo attached is of my Granfather and Great uncle any help with identifing either regiment would be most helpful

Many Thanks

This is also a picture of my grandad (the one on right) is John Edward Kirby and he was in the 1st - 22nd London Regiment. We had thought that the other person might be his brother, but it looks like this has confirmed that for us. Frederick Samuel Kirby we found, was born 24 November 1877, and served in the First Scottish Horse (Private 18941). We would love to hear back from you, although this is a very old post. It looks like we must be cousins!