Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

56th London Division battalion histories

bmac

Hi Bill,

Could you please look up what the London Scottish were doing on the 1/7/16,I know they suffered grieviously at Gommecourt but I'am looking for more detail.

Many thanks.

Stu

Could you please look up what the London Scottish were doing on the 1/7/16,I know they suffered grieviously at Gommecourt but I'am looking for more detail.

How much detail? Briefly, they attacked a strongpoint known as the 'Farmer-Farmyard' stronghold and took all their objectives and held them until mid-afternoon when they were forced to withdraw through lack of supplies and as a result of counter-attacks from two different German regiments. What other sort of information are you after?

Hi Bill,

Sorry I should have said,I'am researching a Pte(later Sjt) William Warden,he served in number 4 platoon in A company,so anything on this would be great.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

Stu

A Company were the company on the extreme right of the 56th Division's attack. Nos 2 and 3 Platoons got lost in the thick smoke and drifted off to the south. Coming on uncut wire they were shot down and only one officer and five men eventually found their way to their objective, the Farmyard stronghold. Nos 1 and 4 Platoons led by the company commander, Capt Conrad Sparks, found their way through the wire via a gap cut for German patrols and they occupied the southern flank of the Farmer-Farmyard stronghold. Under cover of a Lewis gun, men of No. 1 Section, 2/2nd Field Company, Royal Engineers blocked two trenches and a bombing section drove back men of the 6th Comany, 170th Regiment. The rest of the battalion held the perimeter of the stronghold and tried to link up with the Rangers to their left.

The Rangers attack failed allowing German bombing parties to infiltrate the London Scottish left pushing them back and attacks against A Company eventually led them to withdraw to a new fire trench which was held with the help of a machine gun brought over at about mid-day by Lt Thomson of the 168th Brigade Machine Gun Company.

In the early afternoon, the senior officer, Maj. Francis Lindsay of B Company, was shot and killed leaving Capt Sparks in charge. They were now under attack from three sides and subject to heavy artillery fire including some from a field howitzer rolled out into the open near Rossignol Wood. Casualties mounted until, at about 3pm, Capt Sparks sent the following message back by runner:

"I am faced with this position. I have collected all bombs and small arms ammunition from casualties - everyone has been used. Owing to the enemy's continued barrage fire none can be brought to me. I am faced with three alternatives:

a) to stay here with such of my men as are alive and be killed;

B) to surrender to the enemy;

c) to withdraw such of my men as I can.

Either of the first two alternatives is distasteful to me. I propose to adopt the latter."

This message took an hour to get back to battalion HQ. Sparks then collected as many men as possible and, fighting a rearguard action with four NCOs, led them up a German sap from which men tried to retire across No Man's Land. Under attack by four companies of the 170th Regiment and two of the 15th Reserve Infantry Regiment what was left of the battalion retreated across No Man's Land. Capt Sparks survived after spending several hours in a shell hole. Lt Thomson was shot and killed firing at the Germans from No Man's Land with a captured German Mauser and two of the NCOs were killed by a shell in a shell hole.

On the 30th June, the battalion could call upon 23 officers, 811 men plus the Medical Officer and 36 other medical staff and stretcher bearers – a total of 24 officers and 847 men. Five officers and 62 other ranks were withdrawn as ‘battle surplus’ leaving 18 officers and 749 men to go ‘over the top’. The medical staff and stretcher bearers were mainly left in the trenches though some went over with the attacking infantry. According to the War Diary, at roll call on July 2nd, 9 officers, 236 other ranks and 21 medical staff answered their names. This included the officers and men of the ‘battle surplus’. Their losses (dead, wounded and missing) were 14 officers, 575 other ranks and 15 medical staff – a total of 604 or 77% of those actively involved.