Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniforms worn at Gallipoli

Lee Perry

Hi I am new to the forum

I begin by asking what may seem like an obvious question, but I have scoured the internet to find nothing. In reguards to British troops fighting at Gallipoli, what type of uniform and equipment did they wear and carry and also can anyone post a decent picture of it all. I am particularly interested in the more tropical style of tunic not the standard issue Battledress in France. I have managed to find all the relevent details on the ANZAC forces there and now I need help with the british stuff

Many thanks in advance

British units landed in khaki serge uniforms and standart equipment. Headdress ranged from Wolseley pith helmet to cap conforter. Tropical KD uniform were later issued to some units, but according to numerous pictures, serge remained the norm, with sometimes trousers converted into shorts.

Eric

Apparently the 20th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers, were wearing the '03 leather equipment vice the webbing.

DrB

:)

Thanks for the help the photos are excellent anyone got any information on the 1/4th Bn, the Royal Sussex or/and 2/4th Bn, the Royal West Kents who were part of the53rd Welsh division at Gallipoli ie where they were (I know they were at Gallipoli :rolleyes: but where exactly ie: Suvla Bay?)

Westlake says both Bns at Suvla received the same battle honors: "Suvla," "Landing at Suvla," "Scimitar Hill," and "Gallipoli, 1915"

2/4 TF Royal Sussex had casualities from rifle and shell fire as did the 2/4th West Kents, although the West Kents losses were largely due to sickness.

DrB

Westlake says both Bns at Suvla received the same battle honors: "Suvla," "Landing at Suvla," "Scimitar Hill," and "Gallipoli, 1915"

2/4 TF Royal Sussex had casualities from rifle and shell fire as did the 2/4th West Kents, although the West Kents losses were largely due to sickness.

DrB

Many thanks for that, has anyone else any information on either of these two Bns like officers in command, dates/diarys or maps to show there exact positions at Gallipoli. Had to ask ;)

Your best bet for names, etc is Westlake. He gives the movements by month, of both your bns. He also gives the names of the officers in the West Kent Bn. No maps of Bn positions however.

Apparently, he has gleaned this stuff from the dairies.

It is far to lengthy to write/repeat here, but check your library for the book.

British Regiments at Gallipoli by Westlake. ISBN 0 85052 511 X, published by Leo Cooper and an imprint of Pen and Sword Books, Ltd.

Good luck!

DrB