Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QUEENS ROYAL WEST SURREYS

Kirkes Lamb

Is their a group or individuals researching this regiment in either the Gt War or WW2? I have quite a few photos of their graves and those bearing the same cap badge (Londoin Regiment).

Hi Neil

My Grandad served with 2 Queens in Waziristan and I have a lot of old photos at home. Would you be interested in views of the forts, sangars, battlefields?

Chris C

I've been researching my grandfather Mark James Butt (4109, 5th Battalion). He enlisted on July 2nd 1915 at Guildford and was discharged as "being no longer physically fit for War Service KR para 3q2 XVI" at Hounslow on 31 August 1916. He did not leave the UK.

He appeared before a Medical Board in Sheffield on 29/8/16.

He received a War Badge and Certificate on 5th Feb 1917.

However, nothing in his records gives any indication of why he became unfit.

I obtained his records from the National Archives a few weeks ago. Having been on ancestry today only two pages of his record were downloadable.

I'am a Royal West Surrey's researcher / medal collector WW1 period

I am currently creating a database of Queen's Regt DCM's, MM's, MSM's, MID, QSA, IGS 95, 14 Star, 15 Star, IGS NWF 1919 & Waziristan. I'm up to 7,500 approx names so far (i've still got a long way to go!)

I'm always interested in photographs etc

Cheers

Neil

My dad served in 2nd Queens from 1937 until 194? when the 2nd Btn became 1st Bn. He then went to the QORWK which then became The Queens Own Buffs. Hence the reason I collect Queens items and take photographs of Queens headstones all ove the place. I therefor ehave quite a few from France and El Alamein as well as the UK and other CWGC in Egypt.

My dad was MID in 1941 for service in the Western Desert -we are unsure why, however in Tommy Atkings book, my dad is mentioned as bringing him in from a minefield on the outskirts of Tobruk, so it could have been that as the dates fit in.

Let me know if you want any of my pictures or info.

Hi Neil

My GF was Walter Lawrence Collier - he's the young soldier in the avatar. I have about 25 photographs, some privately taken and some commercial. If you PM me an email address I'll scan some and send them across.

Chris C

Hi Neil

My GF was Walter Lawrence Collier - he's the young soldier in the avatar. I have about 25 photographs, some privately taken and some commercial. If you PM me an email address I'll scan some and send them across.

Chris C

Thats kind-I will email you. I am building up a nice collection of Queens items including some nice silver trophys they sold off, lots of badges and buttons of course and some interesting sweetheart brooches. Pride of place is a drum bearing several battle honours for actions in which my Dad fought.

• 1 month later...

I am currently creating a database of Queen's Regt DCM's, MM's, MSM's, MID, QSA, IGS 95, 14 Star, 15 Star, IGS NWF 1919 & Waziristan. I'm up to 7,500 approx names so far (i've still got a long way to go!)

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil

Do you have anything on Sgt Herbert Randall DCM (WW1) I have his photograph etc

Regards

FrankC

Can any Pal work out a rough date that my wife's grandad enlisted in "The Queens Regiment" please.

His name was Pte. Bertie Brooker and his number was T-243646.

Family history says that he was posted to Mesopotamia and my best guess is that he was in the 1/5th Battalion.

Many thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I am visiting Pte Walter Hill Pullen's Grave (22510) to commemorate 90 years since he died. He was in the 1st Bn Queens Royal West Surrey Regt and I have been researching him for my Step-Aunt, his daughter. Details in "Soldiers who died in the Great War" are inaccurate and I had CWGC correct and add details to their records as a result. Other researchers may wish to ammend theirs too. He was conscripted in 1916 and was in 'A' Company in the vanguard of the attack on the Hindenburg line on 23rd April 1917 at Croisilles. Severely injured he was taken prisoner and taken via Limburg POW camp to Langensalza camp where he died on the 21st May 1917 I intend to remember him by his graveside on that day 90 years later. It is interesting to think that all married men and similar who died in War who's widows remarried in fact died so that new generations could live as I in fact would never have existed had Walter lived.

His two campaign medals were not found so please keep an eye out for these please. My Aunt still has his small memorial plaque presented to my Grandmother after the war. I have the war diary for the period of his capture together with messages sent during the battle. I would like to know a little more about Capt Godfrey and "A" Company men at that time if anyone can help please. I also have the International Red Cross details of his movement and death.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil

Happened to see that you research the Queens and was wondering if you had anything at all that could be related to my grandfather.

John Perry L/10582 was with the 1st Battalion Queens and reached France on 1st October 1914. Believe he was wounded during 1916 (got married in Feb 1917 and gave his address as Horton Military Hospital Epsom at the time) and left the Regiment after convalescence. Transferred to the Labour Corp 11th July 1917, and I believe served in France with 301 Company thereafter)

Last year I took my father back to trace where John might have fought with the Queens and, happily, we able to discover many specifics: the old train station at Poecapple which I believe he might have been involved in attacking on 21st during Oct 1914; the 'Inn' where the Battalion helped rescue the Scottish prisoners on 23rd Oct, and the site of the windmill '500 yards SE of Ghulevelt' where the Battalion held the line on 29th Oct, before the battalion was decimated.

As we do not believe he was injured during this period (he received bayonet wounds and lost an eye we think during 1916 which took him back to hospital in Epsom) I'm also assuming that he must therefore have been one of only 32 men who 'constituted the Battalion' on 1st November, with 624 of his comrades KWorM? If that is the case then he must be present in a photo of the Battalion dated 9th November 1914 in the book by Col H C Wylly - lots of 'if's and maybe's' I know but would you be able to put anymore flesh on the bones for me at all please? The picture is too grainy to spot him (!) but would you know how to get a copy at all?

If you think you might have any other pictures etc that you think would be relevant I'd be very grateful to hear about them as well as any further info and guidance to try to establish more about my grandfather as possible please.

Thanks for your time Neil.

Kind regards

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

My great uncle was in the 7th bn but was killed on the 1 July 1916 at Montauban.

He has no known grave but his name is on the Thiepval Memorial which i have seen.

I have also been to roughly the area of battle where he was killed

Ken

I was out with a Woking School last Thursday/Friday and found Queen's individuals from Woking at the back of Tyne Cot and on the Thiepval Memorial. We ended the trip at Dantzig Alley where 93 members of the regiment are buried!

Question - why are the Royal West Surreys called the Queens and why are they a fairly senior regiment given the position of the missing panels at Tyne Cot?

• 1 month later...
Hi Neil

Happened to see that you research the Queens and was wondering if you had anything at all that could be related to my grandfather.

John Perry L/10582 was with the 1st Battalion Queens and reached France on 1st October 1914. Believe he was wounded during 1916 (got married in Feb 1917 and gave his address as Horton Military Hospital Epsom at the time) and left the Regiment after convalescence. Transferred to the Labour Corp 11th July 1917, and I believe served in France with 301 Company thereafter)

Last year I took my father back to trace where John might have fought with the Queens and, happily, we able to discover many specifics: the old train station at Poecapple which I believe he might have been involved in attacking on 21st during Oct 1914; the 'Inn' where the Battalion helped rescue the Scottish prisoners on 23rd Oct, and the site of the windmill '500 yards SE of Ghulevelt' where the Battalion held the line on 29th Oct, before the battalion was decimated.

As we do not believe he was injured during this period (he received bayonet wounds and lost an eye we think during 1916 which took him back to hospital in Epsom) I'm also assuming that he must therefore have been one of only 32 men who 'constituted the Battalion' on 1st November, with 624 of his comrades KWorM? If that is the case then he must be present in a photo of the Battalion dated 9th November 1914 in the book by Col H C Wylly - lots of 'if's and maybe's' I know but would you be able to put anymore flesh on the bones for me at all please? The picture is too grainy to spot him (!) but would you know how to get a copy at all?

If you think you might have any other pictures etc that you think would be relevant I'd be very grateful to hear about them as well as any further info and guidance to try to establish more about my grandfather as possible please.

Thanks for your time Neil.

Kind regards

Martin

Hi Martin

Very interested to finally come across someone whose relative was one of thr original BEF with 1 Bn Queens. My great grandfather was L/7936 Private Fred James Gearey who was also with the 1 Bn Queens at the start of the war. He had left the army some years before and was recalled to his batallion at the outbreak of war. He would have been with your grandfather when they set sail for France and through the Retreat from Mons and the fighting in October. He was with A company fighting in and around an orchard near Gheluvelt on that fateful day on 31st Oct 1914 when the batallion was almost wiped out. Unlike your grandfather he was unfortunately killed during that day. I have tried for years to find any photos of the batallion taken any time up to the 31st Oct 1914 hoping to find any of him but to no avail.

Stewart

Guest martyr_ca

Hi there,

My Great Uncle, Henry Victor Agate, (G/445) was in the 1st Bat (from CWGC). I thought he might have been involved from 1914 but I've just learned (by downloading his Medal Card from the National Archives) that he only arrived in France on 13/7/1916. He was single and 24 yrs old - so I assume he was part of the first influx of new recruits from the Military Service Act that came in effect at the begining of 1916.

He died 8th August 1916 and is buried at the Dernancourt Communal Cemetary. I have conflicting information that he was wounded on the 4th August and died of his wounds on the 8th - Or that he was killed in Action on the 8th. It seems to me that he was definitely wounded and passed through the XV corps Main Dressing Station as Dernancourt was used by the Field Ambulances up until August 1916.

I've been trying to find somewhere that shows where the Queen's 1st Bat. would have been on the 4th August. According to queesroyalsurreys.org.uk they were in La Bassee until the 12th of July - then were at The Somme from the 13th? However there are no further dates associated with their activities. It says they were at Delville Wood then at Cuinchy then at Rancourt - Bouchavesnes - which at that time may have been a few kms behind the front line?

Does anyone have any further info?

Marty Rose

Stewart

I know the Surrey Family History Centre in Woking holds various photo albums etc for the Queen's Regt but i'm not sure if they are 1st Bn 1914 drop them an email they are very helpful

Cheers

Neil

Many thanks Neil. I shall e-mail them straight away.

Stewart

I am researching the Royal West Surrey's during WW1 and collect medals to the Regiment for this period.

I am currently creating a database of Queen's Regt DCM's, MM's, MSM's, MID, QSA, IGS 95, 14 Star, 15 Star, IGS NWF 1919 & Waziristan. I'm up to 12,000 approx names so far (i've still got a long way to go!)

Cheers

Neil

I have records of Sergeant Herbert E Randall DCM (1st Batt Queen's) KIA 21 September 1918 and attach photo. Hope it's helpful. Anything you know would also be appreciated!

post-14827-1185524152.jpg

Guest martyr_ca
Marty

I also have Henry Agate landing in France on the 13/7/1915 (not 1916) he was entitled to the 15 Star so he must of landed in France in 1915

Cheers

Neil

Thanks for the heads up on that Neil. On his Medal Index Card it clearly states under "Date of entry therein": 13-7-16.

But he does have 15 star listed. So that's an odd one. What is your source for 1915?

I definitely check out those other sources as well. I'll have to get down to Woking next week.

Marty

Hi Frank

A great photo many thanks, if you have Randall's records then I guess there is nothing much I can add, I have his dates of entry & death etc and his DCM citation (a very brave man) was he a relation? Just so I can up date my records do know the where his medals are? I've never seen them on the open market.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have just acquired a group [bWM, VIC, TFWM, TFEM [GV] to 1527 Pte J. LUIGI, The Queen's R. [4/The Queen's R. on the TFEM medal]. There is an Defence Medal with the group, which are all loose, so not sure whether that medal is his??

I noted that the 1/4 served in India and the 2/4 served in Gallipoli, etc.

Do you have any information regarding John LUIGI's service please.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Frank

A great photo many thanks, if you have Randall's records then I guess there is nothing much I can add, I have his dates of entry & death etc and his DCM citation (a very brave man) was he a relation? Just so I can up date my records do know the where his medals are? I've never seen them on the open market.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil

He joined up aged 15+ 2 brothers were in the navy, and he was my brother-in-law's uncle, so not exactly a relation. I will try to find out if his medals are still in the family and get back to you. If anyone else knows their location, we'd like to know? Also if you know when/where he earned the DCM - citation dated 21 March 1918.

Cheers

Frank

Hi Neil,

I have just acquired a group [bWM, VIC, TFWM, TFEM [GV] to 1527 Pte J. LUIGI, The Queen's R. [4/The Queen's R. on the TFEM medal]. There is an Defence Medal with the group, which are all loose, so not sure whether that medal is his??

I noted that the 1/4 served in India and the 2/4 served in Gallipoli, etc.

Do you have any information regarding John LUIGI's service please.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian

The two times the group was on the market they where mounted for wear not as single medals, the defence medal was with them both times.

Having bid on this group before I did do a little research into Luigi, he is from Croydon in Surrey his father was a musician and was born in Italy (I think from memory John was born in the UK) I have the census pages for him somewhere i'll see if I can find them.

His brother Frederick also served in the Queen's Regiment T-1588 / 200274 Pte Frederick Luigi entitled to BWM / VIC / TFWM / IGS (NWF 1919 clasp) & TFEM served same battalion as John

If you want to know what the 1/4th did in India then your best bet would be to pick up a copy of

HISTORY OF THE QUEEN’S ROYAL (WEST SURREY) REGIMENT (IN THE GREAT WAR)

by Col. H. C. Wylly

isbn: 1843425394

(or I do have a word transcript I can email you - lf you let me have your email address)

Cheers

Neil

(if you ever get bored with them, I would be happy to offer them a new home)

Hi Frank

It's always hard working out the exact action for somthing like this, as a rough rule I would say that the deed took place approx 3 months before the LG date, so in this case at the start of 1918, The Regt history says the 1st Bat where at Passchendaele, no major attack etc where under taken at this time and there is no mention of him or his deed either, your best bet would be to contact Surrey Family History Centre at Woking, they hold all the Regiments documents etc and are a very helpful bunch.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil

I'll get straight on to them

Cheers

Frank