Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aragon & HMS Attack

Rob Bulloch

Would any members of the Forum have or know where I could get photographs of the Transport ship "ARAGON" and the Destroyer "HMS ATTACK" both sunk in December 1917 my Grandfather was on board both these ship and suvived both sinkings.

Thanks in Advance Rob.

Rob

If you go to www.merchantnavyofficers.com there is a picture of HMS Aragon and photos of her sinking.

I'm researching a man who was killed while aboard HMS Aragon when it was sunk by the U Boat UC34.

Regards Doug

Doug,

Many thanks for this reference. Such interesting pictures.

At Thetford Grammar School’s Remembrance Service on 7 November 2003 we commemorated those Old Boys who were lost in the Great War serving with the Norfolks. Included amongst these was the story of Victor Benjamin Woods, Corporal, 43720, 3rd Bn., Norfolk Regiment. Victor died in the sinking of RMS ARAGON outside Alexandria harbour on 30/12/17. He is remembered on the Chatby Memorial, Egypt.

I have now read the thread on the ARAGON from December. If any one has any more information which I can use to fill out the story of the loss of the ARAGON and her passengers I would be most grateful to receive it.

Regards,

David

Hello Doug Thanks for the link to the ARAGON, two questions U Boat U34 was the Commander of this boat by any chance Commander Canaris later to be head of Naval Intelligence during the nazi regime? and have you any idea of the casualties on the HMS ATTACK?. Thanks for the Info Rob.

Rob

Yes it is the same Canaris,although he was commanding UC27 at the time of the sinking of Aragon and HMS Attack.He didn't take command of U34 until 18th January 1918 commanding it until 13th March 1918.

Interestingly he was hanged at Flossenburg Concentration Camp 9th April 1945 for his involvement in the 20th July Bomb plot against Hitler.

Regards Doug

• 1 month later...

Canaris never commanded UC-34 which sunk the Aragon and Attack, but U-34 a different vessel entirely. I'm researching my ggrandfather who died on the Aragon and I made this mistake too.

Tony Smith

Hi Tony do you have any pictures of "HMS Attack" My Grand Father survived both Sinkings,

Cheers Rob.

• 16 years later...

From an account I've picked up researching the Aragon (my G Grandfather survived the sinking)

One of the crew stated that although there was much commotion, there was nothing approaching panic when the ship was struck. The troops lined up on deck and joined in the singing "Keep the home fires burning" and "Send me back to dear old blighty"

The nurses, of whom there were about 100 on board were rescued. They all behaved magnificently and gave great help in the work of rescuing struggling men in the water. when he saw the vessel was doomed the captain shouted out "Every Man for himself, and God be with you" He went down with the ship.

An officer who was in charge of the nurses, officers and men on the starboard promenade deck of the Aragon writes that when six boats full of nurses were lowered not a single man tried to enter the boats. He adds I think it speaks volumes for the discipline of the troops on board .

This seems to partly corroborate what my ancestor wrote to his friend about

From the Teesdale Mercury Archives 
24/04/1918 page 5 column 4

**!• Mr W. Elliot, leader of the Middleton String Band, has received a letter from Private Thompson Pinkney, who before enlisting was a prominent member of the band, in which he relates his thrilling experiences while on his voyage to the east.  Private Pinkney was on board the " Aragon " when It was torpedoed in the Mediterranean on December 30th. The ship sank In about twenty minutes, and after the boats were filled with the nurses the Captain gave the order," Every man for himself." Private Pinkney, after being in the water for some time, was picked up by a trawler, He is now quite safe In Palestine. 

So those of you that lost ancesters can be additionally proud of them (as if you need to be)

Dave Pinkney