Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was the tallest?

kaisersoffensive

Hello

I hope that this won't be considered too frivolous a question but who was one of the tallest soldiers serving in the Great War and is there possibly a photograph of same?

I do remember seeing a photograph in a book some years ago of an exceptionally tall Officer serving in a Scottish Regiment.

I imagine that the Guards Regiments always recruited very tall individuals.

I imagine that there will be a photograph of a tall soldier alongside one from one of the Bantam Batallions who were renown for their small stature.

Regards,

Bob Norman

I can start the bidding with a 6 foot 3 inch Officer although theres no way he can be the tallest Im sure! Lt Frank Shoosmith, 5th Beds - his height got him killed as it happens as he was sniped in the head walking along a trench whilst reporting to Bn HQ on Gallipoli.

Hello

What about the guards that got cut down by the guns and, Ox and Bucks at Nonne Bossen 1914?

Regards

Mart

How about this soldier then? I have had this postcard for many years, and never been able to properly identify him. The caption reads 'Jerry Fisher + His Nobs... C Coy Midget'. The photographer was based in St Albans.

post-6-1172146365.jpg

How about this soldier then? I have had this postcard for many years, and never been able to properly identify him. The caption reads 'Jerry Fisher + His Nobs... C Coy Midget'. The photographer was based in St Albans.

Many thanks Paul for the photographic image.

He certainly seems to have outgrown his strength.

No doubty he was affectionately known as shorty.

Regards,

Bob Norman

Many thanks to all the other submissions.

Not tall this one, but along similar lines.....

Sgt Thomas W Markham: Welney, Norfolk. D coy, 8th Norfolk. Served in Boer War, rejoined as Sgt in 1914, 8th Norfolk. Saw active service, then returned to Norwich as Provost Sgt. He gained national reputation as one of the original 'Kitchener's Babies', who were much photographed in papers as both weighed nearly 20 stones. Died March 1936.

Great photo, Paul. Maths isn't my strong suit, but presumably it would be possible to approximate the tall man's height by reference to the known length of an SMLE.

Mick

i can tell you who the Shortest British Soldier to serve in the Great War was...He was Corporal Henry Thridgould,from New York,who served in the 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regt...His Height was 4 feet 9 Inches.

i can tell you who the Shortest British Soldier to serve in the Great War was...He was Corporal Henry Thridgould,from New York,who served in the 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regt...His Height was 4 feet 9 Inches.

Interesting Russell - what is the source for that, please? A most unusual name and easy to find on the MICs:

Thridgould, Henry C

Middlesex Regiment 16829 Corporal

Labour Corps 119704 Corporal

post-8000-1172150298.jpg

I'm no mathematician but with a bir of 'Photoshopping' to stand his pal's SMLE upright and then working the proportions on the grid I reckon he is about 6ft 10in and his pal on the right is 5ft 7in.

I have used 3ft 8 1/2in as being length of SMLE but stand to be corrected!

Peter

Excellent Peter - I wonder if he ever got sent overseas? Would have had a tough time in the trenches being that tall - better to be Private Thridgould, perhaps?!

Lord Reith (Ex BBC Chairman) was I think 6ft 7in, I have his Great War memoirs at home (Wearing Spurs) , I'll check later

I'm no mathematician but with a bir of 'Photoshopping' to stand his pal's SMLE upright and then working the proportions on the grid I reckon he is about 6ft 10in and his pal on the right is 5ft 7in.

Clever stuff, Peter. My guess was around 6'8"/6'9", so I'm sure you're about right. It would be nice to discover who he was and whether he survived the War.

Anyone got a photo of Cpl Thridgould? Easy to recognise — he's only a foot taller than his rifle. :D

Mick

From the Kildare Observer of 3/4/1915

GIANT VOLUNTEERS 03/04/1915 P7c

Three sons of Mr. W.E. Jones, Woodside, Hacketstown, Co. Carlow, have joined the army. Here are their names and descriptions -Lieutenant Robert Jones, Royal Engineers, height 6ft. 3.5ins.; Corporal William Jones, North Irish Horses, 6ft. 2.5ins.: Private Richard Jone, Canadian Volunteers, 6ft. .5ins. Mr. Jones, who is clerk to the Petty Sessions in Hacketstown, has another son - Frederick - 6ft. 4ins. in height. Mr. Jones father stood 6ft. 5ins.

Interesting Russell - what is the source for that, please? A most unusual name and easy to find on the MICs:

Thridgould, Henry C

Middlesex Regiment 16829 Corporal

Labour Corps 119704 Corporal

Hi Paul,the Source re Thridgould,was The Book by Sidney Allinson called "THE BANTAMS",there is a very good picture of Cpl Thridgould on the Front Dust Jacket,also in the Plates inside the Book,Allinson mentions that Thridgould was put into the Labour Corps after His hands were badly damaged due to frost Bite,if you want a Picture Paul,i will happily scan you one next week...Regards,Russell.

I think I may have the definitive answer on this one, guys.

Lieutenant R.C. Lodge of 16 Royal Scots stood 6 feet, 8 and a half inches in his stocking soles, and was reputed (as late as 1917) to be the tallest soldier in the Army - Old or New.

There's an apochryphal tale about the Germans taking a photo of his head sticking up over the parapet during an early trench tour near La Boisselle. While there was undoubtedly some measure of mutual banter across the Sausage/Mash divide, I'm inclined to think it more likely that they would have sniped him. Cuthbert was killed at Hargicourt in August '17 and may still be buried with his sergeant in the trench in which they fell.

He used to get comfort parcels from all over the UK on account of his 'notoriety'. His dad was Professor of History at Edinburgh University - where the history chair still bears his name. Cuthbert was first cousin to the more famous Raymond Lodge, killed in 1915. Raymond's father, Sir Oliver Lodge, wrote the book 'Raymond' to commemorate his life - and, rather sadly, his afterlife.

Captain RICHARD CONWAY LOWE M.C. 1/6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment

KIA 18/08/1916 aged 22. The son of Conway and Marian E. Lowe, of "Eversley", 22, Somerset Rd., Edgbaston, Birmingham.

POZIERES BRITISH CEMETERY, OVILLERS-LA BOISSELLE

Captain Lowe was 6ft 9 inches Tall

Terry

I was looking up something totally different in the RHF Museum Sauchiehall St., Glasgow the other month when one of the curators brought me a book on the 18th (Bantams) HLI with a picture of what I thought was the tallest soldier in the regiment, if not the British army at the time. Maybe somebody has a copy of the book and could post a pic. I've just looked up my records and it was "The Bantams" by Sidney Allinson.

Richard

I have a similiar image of 2 men from the 2/6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (sorry about the quality)

The big fella is L/Cpl Pike, his shorter friend is Pte Thomas Beard

Tom Beard is 5' 5", so that must make Pte Pike what? close to 7 ft ?? :huh:

Tom Beard was discharged in 1914. Pte Pike won the DCM (at least I think its him). Probably just reached over no-mans-land and dopped a grenade right in the German trench B)

post-4619-1172783432.jpg

MIKE

I remember a work colleague telling me his grandfather, who was in the Glosters, was 6'7" tall, & when he & his comrades were buried by the debris of an explosion in the trenches, he survived because of his height. His mates, unfortunately, did not.

Nick