Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

August to November 1918

Mikeb

Hi,

I am trying to trace the movements and likely places that my g/father might have been between the dates mentioned above, it is his daughters (my mum) 80th this year, I would like to be able to tell her his story.

Pte. 169346 FARMER J E MGC Cavalry, previously, E Battalion MGC, previously, 3320 Pte. City of London Yeomanry. I have a brief history of his service up to August 1918, I understand they moved to france via Italy, and were attached to the 1st army. Can anybody tell me how I find out where the 103rd where between these dates? or am asking to much?. Many Thanks for listening, Mike.

Hi,

I am trying to trace the movements and likely places that my g/father might have been between the dates mentioned above, it is his daughters (my mum) 80th this year, I would like to be able to tell her his story.

Pte. 169346 FARMER J E MGC Cavalry, previously, E Battalion MGC, previously, 3320 Pte. City of London Yeomanry. I have a brief history of his service up to August 1918, I understand they moved to france via Italy, and were attached to the 1st army. Can anybody tell me how I find out where the 103rd where between these dates? or am asking to much?. Many Thanks for listening, Mike.

Hello mrb,

I'm not an expert on the City of London (Rough Riders) Yeomanry but many years ago did own a medal to Pte J.Churchill no.3296, who can't have joined them much before your grandfather did.

I found a manuscript Roll Book for at least part of this unit (?B Sqn.), in the Department of Printed Books at the Imperial War Museum London. It told me my man's date of enlistment (6 May 1915), age, civil trade, religious affiliation, and that he served in no. 3 troop, B Squadron, as a member of no. 2 section Hotchkiss Gun - so he was at least a fellow machine-gunner with your relative! May well be worth your having a look at this source, in case it has more personal information on your granddad (if he's included).

Otherwise I can only state general knowledge stuff - that the unit served in Egypt 1915, Salonika (Balkans) 1916, Egypt and Palestine 1917-18, and France from June 1918 as "E" (later retitled 103rd) Battalion MGC.

As with most WW1 units, the official War Diaries can be found at the National Archives, Kew, London (see the "Long Long Trail" host website for info), or try asking more knowledgeable Forum pals for details on this unit and its diaries.

Regards,

LST_164