Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_J

Wylly: Green Howards in the Great War

Alan_J

I'm looking into the 7th Yorkshires and specifically the memorial to the battalion at Fricourt. I wondered whether the history by H C Wyllys mentions this at all. If anyone has this book and could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Only two copies on abebooks, and at £200 plus they are a bit steep! Sadly, this doesn't seem to be one of the volumes N&M have reprinted. If no joy here, I'll contact their museum, which is unfortunately rather a long way from me!

Thanks

Alan

kpm

Hi Alan,

I have a copy of the book.

What do you want to know.

Ian.

Alan_J

Ian,

Great - what I am specifically looking for is whether there is any mention of the memorial to the 7th Battalion which is in Bray Road Cemetery Fricourt. I would guess this might be in any chapter covering after the War, or an Appendix perhaps. It is a long shot as to whether it was mentioned, but the permanent stone memorial was presceded by a wooden cross - any mention of either would be of great interest.

A secondary interest would be anything the book has to say on the 7th Bn on the 1st of July 1916, when they were at Fricourt and suffered losses (which the memorial commemorates).

Many thanks

Alan

Bob Coulson

Alan,

I have all the memorial names if it's of any good to you.

Bob.

Bob Coulson

Alan,

Just had a look through GHITGW and their is a picture of the memorial at the end of the chapter covering the 7th battalion with the following text.

The memorial to the battalion erected at Fricourt is so far the only one set up by the regiment in any theatre of the Great War.

The names and ranks of those who fell are inscribed together with the following,

To The Glory of God and in Undying Memory of the Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the 7th Battalion, Alexandra Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment.

Green Howards who fell near this place July 1st 1916.

"Their Name Liveth For Evermore."

Bob.

kpm

Hi Alan,

Further to what Bob has said there is the following passage in the book:-

On the morning of the 2nd July [1916] the 51st Brigade were able to occupy the village of Fricourt without opposition, the enemy having evacuated the trenches during the night; in the meantime the 7th Green Howards gone gone back to Heilly, where they were joined by a draft of forty-six other ranks, and where congratulatory messages were received from the Brigadier and from the G.O.C. 17th Division, who wrote that "owing to the self-sacrifice of the 7th Battalion, Green Howards, the village of Fricourt was occupied the following day without a shot being fired".

Hope this helps with your research.

Ian.

Alan_J

Bob,

Very interesting! And thanks for looking this up. I'm not so comncerned about the names (IO think I have photos of them at home), but I'm very intrigued by the photo of the memorial.

Can you tell me if this the permanent (i.e. stone) memorial that is there today, or is it a picture of the earlier wooden one which preceded it? I think the book itself was published in the early 1920s, but a picture in it might be of the earlier memorial.

Fascinating - thanks for your help.

Alan

Bob Coulson

Alan,

It is the stone memorial that is pictured.

Bob.

Alan_J
Alan,

It is the stone memorial that is pictured.

Bob.

Thanks Bob - can you confirm when the book itself was published? The information I have on the memorial suggests it was ready to be erected in 1922, but it would be good to pin it down a bit more closely.

Thanks again

Alan

Alan_J
Hi Alan,

Further to what Bob has said there is the following passage in the book:-

On the morning of the 2nd July [1916] the 51st Brigade were able to occupy the village of Fricourt without opposition, the enemy having evacuated the trenches during the night; in the meantime the 7th Green Howards gone gone back to Heilly, where they were joined by a draft of forty-six other ranks, and where congratulatory messages were received from the Brigadier and from the G.O.C. 17th Division, who wrote that "owing to the self-sacrifice of the 7th Battalion, Green Howards, the village of Fricourt was occupied the following day without a shot being fired".

Hope this helps with your research.

Ian.

Ian,

Thanks for posting this. For interest, when the 7th Green Howards applied after the war to make their memorial at Fricourt permanent (they put a wooden cross there in August 1916), the committee deciding on such claims were not minded to approve their application. One of the factors which swung it were letters from the then GOC of 17th Division T.D. Pilcher strongly suporting their claim - which is reinforced by the message he sent at the time, in the passage you have quoted above.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Alan

Bob Coulson

Alan,

The frontspiece has Col Wylly, Richmond, Yorkshire 1926.

Bob.

Alan_J

Great, thanks Bob.

Alan

dorrie

http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/

This site has History of the green Howards in the Great War on CD £15.11 not sure if this is what you are after but it may pay to look

Cheers

Tim

Alan_J

Tim,

Thanks for this - they have a few items of interest apart from the Green Howards history! I wonder if anyone on the forum has ever ordered from them and has experience with the CDs?

Alan

dorrie

Yes I have ordered the Lincolnshire Reg History and it is great.

Tim

Alan_J

Cheers Tim,

I think I'll give it a go. £215 for the original might take some explaining....!

Alan

CROONAERT
I think I'll give it a go.

You've nothing to worry about with them Alan. I've bought quite a few regimental histories, National Rolls, etc, from them in the past (including the Green Howards history). The quality of the scans is superb and the service is excellent.

Dave.