Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

10th Battalion Essex Regiment

Frajohn

Hi

Wonder if anyone who has access to the War Diary can tell me where the 10th Essex were on the above dates.

Many thanks

John

Trenches near Bray.That's the short answer. Perhaps more tomorrow.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Many thanks for your time. The area is what I was hoping for.

If you are able to supply any further information I would be most grateful.

Kind regards

John

I am sure Michael may be back with some more. But may I suggest PM me your e-mail John and I will send you the diary for September - some great maps and a casualty roll in it, one of the better diarys I have come across.

Glyn

War Diary 10th Bn. The Essex Regiment Sept. 1 - 14, 1915.

Wed., Sep 1 to Sat., 4 Sept, 1915, incl.

BRAY, (Ref Amiens 12), FRANCE

Remained in Brigade Reserve in Billets. Continued to dig shelters for winter.

Sun., Sep 5, 1915

BRAY to Trenches

Battalion moved by Coys to trenches to relieve 6th Ser Bn Rl Berkshire Regt. Relief carried our satisfactorily under cover of darkness; Trenches 70 – 75 (both inclusive) Sector C.2 taken over, last company completed relief at 2.30 am 6th Inst. Distribution of Battalion. Fire Trenches “C” Coy on Right trenches 70 – 72 (both inclusive) “D” Coy on Left, trenches 73 – 75 (both inclu-sive) “B” Coy in Support, “A” Coy in reserve at WELLINGTON Redoubt. (A Coy came in from The CITADEL) during night Enemy fired about 60 rifle grenades, Enemy’s snipers active at points opposite trenches 73 and 74. No damage done. On an average the enemy’s trenches are about 180x away except where the Saps and extensions at “D” converge, here they are about 45x away. Enemy’s flares appear to be far superior to ours.

See Appendix 3 and 3A.

Mon., Sep 6, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

3.30 am

“Stood to Arms”, all quiet, enemy’s snipers not active, Enemy’s working party located at dawn opposite trench 72. R.F.A. F.O. consulted to register on the point. All Sector C.2. ie. the one held by the left Battalion of the Brigade, requires a great deal of improvement as regards build-ing, The Flanks in particular, which have no servible fire trench at all in places. Also much work is required to build up the D

7.30 P.M.

Battalion “Stood to Arms”

8-9.30 pm

Considerable amount of firing (rifle & guns) and bombing on our left, all quiet after 9.30 pm except for enemy’s rifle grenades, one man wounded.

Tue., Sep 7, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

3.30 am

Battalion “Stood to Arms” Enemy’s snipers both active and accurate especially opposite Trenches 73-74-75 R.F.A. fired 8 rounds shrapnel at 10.40 am (Registration) Enemy’s working party fired on by R.F.A. shooting successful. Enemy fired 28 small H.E. on Support trenches of trenches 70 and 71 and 7 HE into WELLINGTON Redoubt. one man in front line wounded by shrapnel.

7.30 pm

Battalion “Stood to Arms”

10.pm.

One of our British mines made to explode opposite Right Coy. of Battn on out left. (11th Rl FU-SILIERS) considerable rifle & M.G. fire after explosion. Our Battn M.Gs supported forward movement of Right Coy of RL. FUSILIERS on to newly formed crater.

11.30 pm to 12 mn

All firing except that of snipers died away.

Wed., Sep 8, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

3.30 am

Battalion “Stood to”.

All quiet during day. Enemy’s snipers less active.

7.30 p.m

Battalion “Stood to”.

11 pm

Germans exploded mine 12 yards to NE corner of D and blew in portion of front parapet of D. buried four of our men, all of whom were unearthed by 1.30 am. (9th Inst.) no material damage done by the explosion

(See appendix 3)

Thu., Sep 9, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

3.30 am

Battalion “Stood to”. Crater of exploded mine found to be occupied on far side by enemy, RF.A. informed who shelled crater with success, all quiet during forenoon. our WEST gun fired two bombs into working Party in [inserted: new] Crater of new

5. pm.

Enemy reported to be holding crater of mine again. Our artillery fired 2 “Salvos” at 5.8 pm and 5.20 pm. at the crater with Satisfactory result.

5.25 pm

Enemy fired four “Sausages” (see appendix 4) into middle of Sector 74. Brigadier General HICKIE visited our section of Trench

(appendix 3)

7.20 pm.

Our artillery answered the “Sausages” with 2 salvos into their trench opposite sector 74.

7.30 pm

Battalion “Stood to”

9.18 pm

15th Siege Battery fired 4, 6 “ shells into enemy’s trench opposite sector 74.

11.11 pm

Battalion asked our Supporting Battery (D.83rd Bde.) to fire “Test” of one round which was fired at 11.16 pm (5 minutes) remainder of night quiet.

Fri., sep 10, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

3.30 am

Battalion “Stood to”. during the morning enemy’s working party again heard in crater. Consid-erable amount of our own artillery fire, for registration purposes, in conjunction with aeroplane observation. Afternoon quiet, 8.30 pm

7.30 pm

Battalion “Stood to”

8.30 pm to 10.30 pm

About 50 rifle grenades and trench mortars. To which we replied with bombs, rifle grenades and WEST gun on to crater of mine NE of “D” remainder of night quiet expect sniping from both sides.

12.15 pm

Asked artillery for “Test” support 73. one gun fired 12.24 am. (9 minutes too long owing to de-fective telephone)

Sat., Sep 11, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

3.30 am.

Battalion “Stood to Arms”. all quiet, during morning large Evacuating trench (ESSEX AVE-NUE) completed. APPENDIX 3

7.30 pm

Enemy fired rifle grenades and trench mortars most of the afternoon, we retaliated with cat CATAPULTS and Rifle grenades. R.F.A. registered on points opposite our trenches.

Enemy fired “Sausage” from opposite left of trench 73 answered by 2 rounds 4.7” Howezit Howitzers. 2 rounds18 lbs HE 4 rounds 18 lbs shrapnel. “Test” Support 73. 2.21 am-2.30 am (9 minutes).

Fighting strength 31 officers and 958 other Ranks

Sun., Sep 12, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

3.30 am.

Battalion Stood to Arms. Very little firing from the enemy or ourselves during the morning [in-serted: 4.7”] Howitzer Battery registered about point 311 during the afternoon. (appendix 2)

Arrangements made with mining officer to explode one of our mines in front of the centre of the front line of D. Plans made by Captain Wyeth (Commanding the Coy holding trenches 73 to 75) to make the front edge of D and Timber post more tenable, as soon as mine exploded, bombing parties organized to and Howitzer Battery asked to fire at point from which Enemy generally fire “Sausages” to support the forward movement of Captain Wyeth’s platoon.

7.30 pm

Battalion “Stood to Arms”.

8 pm.

Four platoons Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers arrived to be attached, one platoon to each of our four Coys for three days instruction

9.38 pm

The mine exploded (no external upheaval but calculated to have destroyed an enemys counter shaft which passed [inserted: parallel to] ours about 3 feet to the right.)and the prearranged sup-port given to the advancing party who moved forward, occupied the Timber post and strength-ened the front of D. Three snipers (Enemys) posts and one Enemy’s M.G. put out of action; con-siderable amount of fire support was needed to support the forward movement as the Enemy’s snipers were very accurate. Captain Weyeth’s Company suffered no casualties. After about 11 pm there was practically no firing except occasional sniping from both sides.

Mon., Sep 13, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

2.25 am.

Two German snipers unwaringly (?) approached the Timber Post and were both immediately shot by one Captain Wyeth’s snipers who was occupying the post. Appendix 3

3.30 am.

Battalion “Stood to Arms” one platoon of B Coy relieved the right platoon of D Coy (Captain Wyerth’s) during the morning there was very little sniping by either side, all quiet. R.F.A. regis-tered with twelve rounds at 10.45 am. Pte.

2.10 pm

Working We?

Enemys working party reported on far edge of [inserted: old] craterin front of middle of D. R.F.A. fired 12 rounds at crater, no more digging was heard.

3.30 pm.

Relief of Companies was carried out. A relieved C (trenches 70-72) B relieved D. (trenches 73-75) C came to res Support. D to reserve.

7.30 pm.

Battalion “Stood to Arms.”

11.15 pm

3 “Sausages” reported to have come over from usual Direction, ie pt 311. Howitzers informed and fired two rounds at that point.

Tue., Sep 14, 1915

TRENCHES, FRANCE

1.15 am

[inserted: Our] Supporting Battery (D.88) asked to support Trench 72. Test gun fired at 1.17 am. (two minutes)

3.30 am

Battalion “Stood to Arms”. All quiet

12.10 pm

Our artillery opened fire on snipers posts in front of D. 11 rounds.

Cheers,

Michael

Glyn & Michael

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have sent a PM to you Glyn with my e-mail.

Michael reading through these, they help confirm what I hoped for. The information requested relate to my thread in 'Soldiers' titled Henry Ham

Kind regards

John

Michael

Great bit of transcribing - its now copied to the Essex Library (my laptop) :lol:

Glyn

Michael

Great bit of transcribing - its now copied to the Essex Library (my laptop) :lol:

Glyn

It had better be a large laptop Glyn,

I'm typing like a mad man. :lol::lol:

John,

Anything to help in your queste after reading the thread. What an intriguing situation. Good luck!

Cheers,

Michael