Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Identify, please...

withcall

post-9859-1172079838.jpg

It's about 4 to 5 inches long, and about 2 inches diameter at the base. On the bottom of the shell/cartridge case it says:

(S)? EPT 1918

K25

Sp 255

Tank round..? Did they have dedicated AA in 1918...?

Answers gratefully received.

post-9859-1172080150.jpg

Second view of shell/cartridge

Sorry to be dumb - do you mean the 'bullet' part? It's at work now, I'll have to do it tomorrow. My guess is about 30mm. I saw on another site that the 'Sp' marking might indicate that it is German, made at a factory in Spandau. I'll measure it precisely tomorrow.

Yes, the bullet part. The projectile is the part that goes downrange through the barrel of the gun and the brass thing is the shell casing. If it's easier you can measure the diameter of the top (open end) of the shell casing instead of the base of the projectile. I won't be able to tell you what you have but others here will give you an answer.

37mm Maxim Pom-Pom.

These were used by all the belligerents, mainly as anti-aircraft armament.

If you can post a picture of the base of the cartridge case with the markings we can identify where it comes from. I will reserve judgement on the markings as you have posted them until I have seen the picture.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks for your help. A Dutch website says the Sp255 stamp is an inspection mark from Kahlsruhe (Spandau) I'll try to take a picture of the base tomorrow, but it's very shiny and the stampings are quite shallow. I might do a pencil rubbing, and photograph that.