Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery

pbman22

Hi

I am trying to do some research on a particular artillery unit, 265 Brigade and its experiences in the war, as far as I can tell it was attached to the 53rd Welsh Division in Palestine from 1916 onwards; however I have had no luck on finding anything else out and am at a dead end. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and suggest anything to help me get further.

I would also be great if anyone could point me in the direction of any information about the general experiences of the men in artillery units during their training and on the Palestine front.

I will be grateful if anyone can help me out

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I have checked the unit information on the website and found out that unit was sent to France for training purposes, but I am unsure what that entails, before being sent to Palestine. However I was wondering if there was anyway that I could get a more in depth picture of what went on and what the unit did?

Thanks

PG,

Not much Im afraid. 265 Bde RFA (CCLXV) went out to France on 22/11/1915 as 1st Welsh Howitzer Bde. (1st and 2nd Glamorgan How batteries) was attached to 32 Div from 27/12/1915. Made its way to the Southern French med ports where it sailed and arrived in Egypt 10/2/1916 and joined 53 Div. Sailed with its sister batteries the 266 and 267 Bde’s. It appears to have been broken up 26/12/1916 and reformed as B/267 Bde became A/265 Bde, and C/267 Bde became B/265 Bde both on 25/12/1916. Kevin has given you the diary reference at the NA

Rgds Paul

The divisional history of the 53rd Division has been reprinted by the Military and Naval Press

http://www.naval-military-press.com/catalo...-books/1000.htm

I am not familiar with it, but many of the divisional histories were written by professional historians who, in addition to having good access to sources, were writing for an audience (i.e. the veterans of the division) with little tolerance for factual errors.

Hi

Thanks everyone for replying

Kevrow,

Unfortunately I am no where near Kew, which a real problem at the moment. I will try and put up something on the forum too see if anyone has a copy of the dairy. Thanks for the advice and finding the source for me.

orokep,

Thanks for the info on the movements of the unit from November 1915, it will help me greatly and has cleared up a few of my problems, especially about what happened in France. I was wondering if it would be possible for you to tell what sources you got the information from, if you could that would be great, thanks.

Holplophile

Thanks for finding the divisional history for me; I think that it is something that I will defiantly have to get hold of pretty soon. Thanks again

Thanks everyone for you help I will be grateful if you have any more advice.

Hi

I know this may sound stupid but would the divisional history have a lot to do with the divisional artillery or would it be primarily concerned with the movements of the infantry?

Thanks