Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniform help?

s159753

I have recently been given this photo of my uncle and was wondering if anyone can help identify the uniform?

As far as i can work out it was taken late 1940's -early 50's.

Thanks in advance

post-18061-1172039776.jpg

Some sort of Fusiliers bandsman.

Definately a Fusilier of some sort, bugle boy or cadet looking at his age. Where did he come from?

Graham.

Drummer, Corps of Drums I should think, rather than a "musician".

The badge on his right arm could be a Drummer's badge.

Cheers Squirrel even I made a hash of that and described him as a boy bugler. Boy drummer would be the correct term if under 18years old at the time.

Graham.

Hi thanks for all the replies. I think it was in Leicester but he was born in Cardiff. i know he was born around 1933 but have no idea of his age in the photo. I know he died when he was about 23 in the mid 50's

Judging by his bugle cords which are all one colour I would guess that it would not be Royal Fusiliers who IIRC had their cords in a red/yellow/blue mix.

Still leaves plenty of scope for other Fusilier regiments and TA variations though.

According to members of the family it was Rouyal Fusiliers. They can also remember a khaki unifrom and a beret, possibly with a feather?. I know this probably doesn't help much. I'll see what else i can find out

Beret would have the RF badge and a white over red hackle.

Hi,

I believe that the R Fusiliers had a white hackle until the time of their amalgamation.

Regards

Arthur

I believe that in the 1950s RF badge was worn with their white hackle. The Royal Northumberland Fuliers wore the red and white one. When the Fuislier Bde was formed in 1958 all Bns wore the Fusilier Bde badge (subsequently adopted by the RRF) but retained their own hackles - (indeed the warwickshire regt who had never been fusiliers adopted a blue and orange hackle of their own on becoming part of the new bde) in 1968, when the bde disbanded and the RRf was formed, all 3 bns remaining adopted the RNF red and white hackle.

Alan