Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

Just a reminder that I am happy to look up information for others in relation to WW1 Australian.

Thanks,

Good Morning,

I have an interest in the Australian forces in WW1, and hold the following battalion histories.

1st Batt.

2nd Batt

3rd Batt

4th Batt

5th Batt

6th Batt

7th Batt

8th Batt

9th Batt

10th Batt

11th Batt

12th Batt.

13th Batt

14th Batt.

15th Batt

16th Batt

17th Batt

19th Batt

21st Batt

22nd Batt.

23rd Batt

24th Batt

25th Batt

27th Batt

28th Batt

29th Batt

30th Batt

31st Batt

32nd Batt

33rd Batt.

37th Batt

38th Batt

39th Batt

40th Batt

41st Batt

42nd Batt

43rd Batt

44th Batt

45th Batt

46th Batt

47th Batt

48th Batt

49th Batt

50th Batt

51st Batt

52nd Batt

53rd Batt

54th Batt

57/60th Batts.

I also possess a large number of other reference books relative to this subject.

I am happy to assist people with information from these sources.

I can be contacted on rarpos7atyahoo.com

Thanks,

• 3 months later...

I just came across a newly published Australian unit history!

Leane's Battalion: History of the 48th Battalion A.I.F. by Neville Browning.

LEANE’S BATTALION is the History of the 48th Battalion A.I.F. in World War 1, from its formation in Egypt in 1916 to its war service on the Western Front. LEANE’S BATTALION is a hard covered, cloth-bound, 480-page, B5 volume with a dust-wrapper, containing 285 photographs and maps, as well as hundreds of eye-witness reports from contemporary diaries, letters, reports and journals of 48th Battalion men. Most of the photographs, journals and diaries are from private sources across Australia and therefore never published. The volume includes daily descriptions of life and death on the Western Front amidst battles such as Pozieres, Bullecourt, Messines, Passchendaele, Dernancourt, Monument Wood, Amiens and the Hindenburg Line. Appendices include Nominal Roll, Honour Roll, Awards and Citations, Nominal Index and POW Roll.

Nominal Roll included

Looks like copies are obtainable from here.

Mick

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help

I have records of 5270 Private Charles Hill Flanders 31st Battalion,8th Australian Brigade, 5th Australian Division who was gassed on 29 or 30/09/18 and died at Rouen Hospital on 3/10.

Is it possible to place the area where he was gassed and how? Was it shells or released from tanks?

It was Phosgene gas which is not nice and explains why he took a few days to die.

It would be good to place where he was on a map of the time.

any help appreciated

thanks

Robert

Hi frev

thanks for your reply

now I have a heap to trawl through

will see what I can find out

regards

Robert

I'm looking for all help I can get on an Aberfeldy man who was KIA between 7-14th Aug 1915 Lone Pine. I have his service record, Bn Diary, and Bgde Diary. On another thread, a pal mentioned that it might be worthwhile looking in the relevant Artillery unit Diary. Trouble is am not sure which unit to look up.

I found the order of battle, which says, the 1st Division Artillery units were 1st Field Artillery Bgde, 1,2, and 3 Batteries, and 1st Bgde Ammunition Column, would that be the correct units to look for?

Also, does anyone know, where I might find a copy, of Nulli Secundus a History of the 2nd AIF?

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

According to p.121 of Nulli Secundus "The Second's front was covered by the New Zealand guns emplaced behind Walker's Ridge, ......."

I've had a quick scan (no index), and there unfortunately isn't any mention of your man Crerar - but you'd probably still find the coverage of the Lone Pine battle very interesting.....so you can get hold of a copy of a Burridge reprint, from John himself, here: http://www.jbma.com.au/reference-books/default.aspx

Cheers, Frev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frev

Have you checked the Battalion War Diary for those days?

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diari...sp?levelID=

I have had a look through them but not very helpful. No mention of casualties until end of month , and then because he died in October would he be listed then? Also no mention of gas let his records state it was phosgene gas, so do we presume it was from a shell and it either hit near him and he did not get gas mask on intime, or he jumped into shell hole or trench which was filled with it??

Also it would be nice to know the exact place where he was so how do I find a map that will show it from these records?

thanks for your help

regards

Robert

Hi everyone

also had a thought, are there any hospital records

For the above soldier, would they document where he went from the front to the hospital at Rouen where he died?

thanks

Robert

I am just new to the Great War Forum but have been researching my grandfathers experiences during WW1 for several years now, and have been fortunate to have had the wonderful experience of tramping over the French and Belguim battlefields in the company of Tom Morgan on several occassions.

My grandfather, H.G. Black 1502, joined the AIF in 1915, 23rd Battalion and then 6th Machine Gun Company, and saw frontline service in Gallipoli, France and Belgium. He was injured in a bathing accident in a "chateau near Montigny" on April 15, 1918 and spent the rest of the war recuperating from a broken pelvis in England.

Anyway, I am most interested in hearing from anyone who has any interest in the 6th Machine Gun Company. My grandfather kept diaries during his years of service and I am happy to share any information that may be useful to anyone else. I already have copies of "In Good Company" and find "Forward Undeterred" (23rd Battalion) a useful resource.

In addition I am interested in any information on the other men who were injured in the "Battle of the Bath" .

Ptes E.J. Burtonclay (4453), G Malcolm, (1928) A.E. Nicholson, C.J. Warner, (611) W. Greening and J.R. Palmer(3987), Lance Corporal A.V. Caldwell(5307)

The Official War Records of C J Warner were the only records which reported the incident.

Looking forward to the being part of the sharing of information on GWF.

Carol

• 3 months later...

Hi Andrew

Just letting you know that the history of the 47th Battalion (Decision at Dernancourt: The History of the 47th Battalion in the First World War) will be published this year as part of the Army History Series with the AHU.

I don't have a final date just yet but I'll post that when I do.

Craig Deayton

Hi

Replying to Casa

Have you looked at all their service records - I found this in A Caldwell's

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp

It does mention "Battle of the Bath" !!!- also in a few other pages- he also won a MM and got his stripe taken off him

regards

Robert

Looks like that link wont work so try this - http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail...mp;NS=Y&T=1

and go to page 24

• 8 months later...

Here is the complete material. Borden Battery

Records of C.E.W. Bean - Records of C.E.W. Bean, Official Historian

Charles Edward Woodrow Bean was Australia’s official war correspondent during the First World War and was later appointed official historian for that conflict. The personal records created by Bean in the course of those appointments now form part of the official records series: AWM38 Official History, 1914–18 War: Records of C.E.W. Bean, Official Historian. The Memorial has digitized 286 volumes of diaries, notebooks, and folders kept by Bean during and after the war and used by him to write the official history of the First World War. [CEF Study Group - Sept 2010]

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diaries/cew_bean/

First World War Official Histories

The Official History of Australia in the War of 1914–1918 is a 12-volume series covering Australia’s involvement in the First World War. The series was edited by the official historian Charles Bean, who also wrote six of the volumes, and was published between 1920 and 1942. The books, with their familiar covers, “the colour of dried blood” in the words of one reviewer, rapidly became highly regarded internationally. Bean’s work established the tradition and set the standard for all subsequent Australian official war histories. [CEF Study Group - Sept 2010]

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/first_world_war/

The following volumes can be accessed directly by double-clicking the item of interest:

• Preface by Professor Robert O’Neill This preface was written for the University of Queensland Press editions and are applicable to all volumes.

• Volume I – The Story of ANZAC from the outbreak of war to the end of the first phase of the Gallipoli Campaign, May 4, 1915 (11th edition, 1941)

• Volume II – The Story of ANZAC from 4 May, 1915, to the evacuation of the Gallipoli Peninsula (11th edition, 1941)

• Volume III – The Australian Imperial Force in France, 1916 (12th edition, 1941)

• Volume IV – The Australian Imperial Force in France, 1917 (11th edition, 1941)

• Volume V – The Australian Imperial Force in France during the Main German Offensive, 1918 (8th edition, 1941)

• Volume VI – The Australian Imperial Force in France during the Allied Offensive, 1918 (1st edition, 1942)

• Volume VII – The Australian Imperial Force in Sinai and Palestine, 1914–1918 (10th edition, 1941)

• Volume VIII – The Australian Flying Corps in the Western and Eastern Theatres of War, 1914–1918 (11th edition, 1941)

• Volume IX – The Royal Australian Navy, 1914–1918 (9th edition, 1941)

• Volume X – The Australians at Rabaul. The Capture and Administration of the German Possessions in the Southern Pacific (10th edition, 1941)

• Volume XI – Australia During the War (7th edition, 1941)

• Volume XII – Photographic record of the war

Note: the above volumes have live hyperlinks in the text.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone reviewed:

Platoon Commander's Notebook - 9 Platoon Coy 3rd Battalion by CA Young, AMHP, 2008

Phil

Hi,

1) I'm looking for information for the 10th Bn AIF.

The Bn made a raid on Celtic wood on 09/10/17.

I would like to know what the history has to say

about the raid and the consequences.of that same raid.

2) For anyone that has the 34th Bn hsitory. Would it be possible to see if :

Urban Parr or William Barry are mentioned in the nominal roll. It concerns

one and the same person who served under a alias.

Regards,

Lawry

• 5 weeks later...

Lawry, a member of the forum is doing a history of the Celtic Wood raid, not sure of the status of publication but I did hear it was finished.

The 34th Battalion history is only a slim volume, my copy is loaned out at the moment but hopefully someone else can assist.

• 1 month later...

Lawry, a member of the forum is doing a history of the Celtic Wood raid, not sure of the status of publication but I did hear it was finished.

The 34th Battalion history is only a slim volume, my copy is loaned out at the moment but hopefully someone else can assist.

Affordable copies of the 34th Battalion unit history book are available here:

34th Battalion unit history reprint

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like two more new unit histories will be out very soon.

Battle Scarred: The 47th Battalion in the First World War by Craig Deayton

and

The Fighting Nineteenth - History of the 19th Battalion AIF 1915 - 1918 by Wayne Mathews and David Wilson.

The 19th Battalion book is only a couple of weeks away and the 47th Battalion one should be available in March/April.

Exciting stuff as these are the first two books ever written about these units.

Mick

Has anyone heard any rumours of a history of the 31st Bn AIF? Crossed Boomerangs by Bob Burla was published posthumously by his widow in 1995 but it covers the history of the 31st and its successor units over the last century and the Western Front section is pretty light on for details.

Has anyone heard any rumours of a history of the 31st Bn AIF? Crossed Boomerangs by Bob Burla was published posthumously by his widow in 1995 but it covers the history of the 31st and its successor units over the last century and the Western Front section is pretty light on for details.

It's not a rumour. I can confirm that it's being written. Possibly out later this year or in 2012. ;)

Mick

It's not a rumour. I can confirm that it's being written. Possibly out later this year or in 2012. ;)

Mick

Thanks Mick

Do you know who the author is?

cheers

Leigh

Yep - Neville Browning is working on it.