Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

David,

I am at work but will check out the 44th Battalion history when I get home and get back to you tonight. His service papers can be ordered at at the following link.

http://www.aa.gov.au/the_collection/family...rvices.html#WW1

Cheers

Tim D

Hi David

The 44th Bn came into the line for the first time in December 1916 and didn't undertake a major attack till Messine in June 1917. However they undertook quite a few trench raids during the first 6 months of their existence in France, which could be the cause of death of William Green. Tim will evidently let you know if he finds anything in the old 44th Bn history which was called called 'Eggs a Cook'.

The 44th Bn is currently having another history being written. I can give you the writer's e-mail address if you are interested. He may have some more info.

Cheers

Andrew

David,

Hopefully the following is what you are after.

Green, William Arnold

Number: 5711

Unit: 44th Bn Australian Inf

Service: Army

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of Death: 14/03/1917

Place of Death:

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Memorial Panel: 138

Cemetery or Memorial Details: FRANCE 922 Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery Armentieres

Next Of Kin:

Place Of Enlistment: Wiluna, WA

Native Place:

Notes: GREEN, Pte. William Arnold, 5711. 44th Bn. Australian Inf. Killed in action 14th March, 1917. Age 29. Son of Mary Green and the late Henry Green; husband of Mrs. M. S. Durnford (formerly Green), of Curtis St., Osborne Park, Western Australia. Born at Thetford, Norfolk, England. V. A. 30.

This link is to his roll of honour card and tells a bit more about him:

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/awm131/020/020770.pdf

He is not listed in the nominal roll at the rear of the battalion history. This covers the original battalion and the various reinforcement parties so perhaps he was posted in from another battalion or maybe he was missed by the historian.

On the 14th March 1917 the 44th Battalion were in the Armentieres sector. On the evening of the 13th they were involved in a major trench raid on the German lines commanded by Captain C.H.LAMB and consisting of 6 officers and about 400 men. It rained incessantly in the days before the raid and whilst forming up a German searchlight shone into No Mans Land upset preparations with the whole assault being silouetted and compromised. At midnight the allied preparatory barrage commenced with an immediate German retaliation occurring via minenwerfers and artillery. The barrage was so accurate and sudden that it was obvious surprise was lost however the raid pressed on regardless. The men had to struggle through water filled shellholes and wire and the assault bogged down. Lt Sammy TAYLOR, who was in charge of the assault and, eventually gave the order to withdraw.

The men attempted to withdraw but were hampered by mud, wire, machine guns, an artillery barrage, flares and the search light as well as having to assist the numerous wounded. The remainder of the night was spent getting in the wounded. All but one wounded man, who was captured, were eventually returned to the lines by dawn. Casualties amounted to 20 killed and 45 wounded including Lt TAYLOR. Numerous decorations were awarded for the gallantry displayed in the withdrawal.

Regards

Tim

Tim/Andrew,

Thanks very much. All a great help. Looks like William died in the trench raid. I'd be pleased to contact the author of the new biography of the 44th.

I've tried RecordSearch and got a "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" window. Presumably this is because it is now (7.38 pm GMT) between 3am and 7 am Australian Time. What is 7.38pm GMT in Australian? I'll try again later!

His Roll of Honour card is most helpful. Thanks.

Thanks both for your help on this.

Now, I know that Frank Bunnett, NX43948, 2/20th Bn., died 15/1/44 in Tokyo, is Second World War but would the record search page do the same job for him?

Many thanks,

Best wishes,

David

David,

You can obtain both WW1 and WW2 service records at the same sight. If you can't access it via the link I posted just scroll in through the main National Archives site. The 2/20th Battalion were part of the 8th Division that went into the bag in Singapore. They were involved in heavy fighting during the Jap landing in the north western part of the island.

www.naa.gov.au

These may also assist:

His Nominal Roll entry.

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/veteran.a...eteranID=161657

His Roll of Honour entry.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/roh.asp

His POW Roll entry.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/awm232.asp

Good luck.

Tim D

Tim,

I've just tried for Green's service record again using both your link and scrolling through the main site. I got as far as SearchNow as a Guest, and then got the Page cannot be displayed message. Time of day problem?

Regards,

David

Tim,

Thanks for the links about Frank Bunnett. I have just successfully accessed all of them. Great information. Very many thanks for helping on this.

Regards,

David

David,

Got me stumped. There shouldn't be a problem. If you still have no luck send me your address and details on E-mail and I will order hard copies of them for you.

Some records are already digitized (such as Bunnett's) and you can read them on site and some are not (such as Green's) which means you will have to order them. I have always wanted a hard copy so have just ordered them using the request form. Try the following links.

Green

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=1927260

Bunnett

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=4926149

Looks like he only arrived in Singapore for about two weeks before the surrender!

Regards

Tim

Tim,

Great! I've managed to access Bunnett's record.

I've got on to the page which mentions Green. How much will it cost for photocopies of Green's record - roughly?

Very many thanks,

David

David,

There is a standard fee of $14.70 AUD if you are outside Australia.

Buy a photocopy of a World War I record

You can buy photocopies of records that have not yet been withdrawn for repackaging and digitising.

Photocopies of World War I service records cost A$16.20 per record (inclusive of GST) for purchases from within Australia or A$14.70 per record (excludes GST) for purchases from outside Australia.

Your photocopy will be posted in a presentation folder, with an information sheet to help you interpret the abbreviations and terminology used in the records.

Use our World War I Service Record Request Form to send us your request.

View the original record

You can view a World War I service record in the National Archives reading room in Canberra if it has not yet been withdrawn for repackaging and digitising.

To ask about viewing the original records, contact us at:

Email: ref@naa.gov.au

Phone: 1300 886 881

National Archives of Australia

PO Box 7425

Canberra BC ACT 2610

Australia

Please contact us at least a week before you visit.

Ask for a digital copy

If a record is listed in the RecordSearch catalogue, you can request a digital copy of the record by clicking on the ‘request digital copy’ button on the Item description screen. No charge applies to this service. Check the RecordSearch entry page for processing times.

You can view the digital copy of a service record online, or print a copy for your own reference. But remember, in a few months the Archives will be loading better digital images of these records.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Many thanks for helping me round the intricacies of the Australian system! Isn't it great that the Australian records are being made available free of charge online?

Regards,

David

• 3 weeks later...

All of the AIF embarkation rolls are now able to be accessed on the Australian War Memorial website. If you want to look up a person who served in the infantry, light horse, medical, signals, engineers, artillery or even the bakery & butcher section of the AASC you can have a look at the embarkation lists to see who went away with that unit.

If you want to look up a particular person you will have to know what original unit or reinforcement group unit they were in as at the moment they are only searchable by this way, though I was told that in the future they will be able to be searched by name.

Another good move for researchers by the Australian War Memorial and access is free.

http://www.awm.gov.au

Go to Biographical databases, then Nominal Rolls which will lead you to the link to the embarkation rolls.

Cheers

Andrew

• 7 months later...
I have many Australian battalion & unit histories if anyone needs any information from them.

ANdrew,

Do you have the histories etc of 5th FAB?

Robbie

QUOTE (Andrew P @ Wed, 8 Jan 2003 05:04:01 +0000)

I have many Australian battalion & unit histories if anyone needs any information from them.

Andrew

I stubbled upon this web site whilst trying to trace my Grandfather through the Australian govt. websites which whilst very useful did not provide quite all the information.

From these I have established he served in the 11th Field Company Engineers and embarked at Outer Harbour South Australia 31st MAY1916. I also discovered that he was mentioned in dispatches

Temple, Bert Hamilton

Service Number: 9583

Unit: 11th FCE

Honour / Award: Mention in Dispatches

Date of London Gazette: 11 July 1919, page 8829, position 64

Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: 30 October 1919, page 1660, position 36

Unfortunately I have been unable to find these online.

I was wondering if you have a unit history for the 11th FCE and/or could point me in the right direction of one?

Many thanks for any help or information you can provide

Tim Temple

• 2 weeks later...

ANdrew,

Do you have the histories etc of 5th FAB?

Robbie

Hi Robbie

Unfortunately I can't find any reference to a history on the 5th Field Artillery Brigade.

There are histories on the 1st, 2nd, 6th & 7th Brigades but none on the 5th.

What I've done in the past when I can't find unit histories is to have a look through the AWM collection and see if there are any diaries of people from the same unit. If the copyright is clear & preservation not an issue the AWM will photocopy these for you. Cost will vary depending on the size of the account.

Cheers

Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew P @ Wed, 8 Jan 2003 05:04:01 +0000)

Andrew

I stubbled upon this web site whilst trying to trace my Grandfather through the Australian govt. websites which whilst very useful did not provide quite all the information.

From these I have established he served in the 11th Field Company Engineers and embarked at Outer Harbour South Australia 31st MAY1916. I also discovered that he was mentioned in dispatches

Temple, Bert Hamilton

Service Number: 9583

Unit: 11th FCE

Honour / Award: Mention in Dispatches

Date of London Gazette: 11 July 1919, page 8829, position 64

Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: 30 October 1919, page 1660, position 36

Unfortunately I have been unable to find these online.

I was wondering if you have a unit history for the 11th FCE and/or could point me in the right direction of one?

Many thanks for any help or information you can provide

Tim Temple

Hi Tim

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the 11th FCE unit history. However if you want to follow it up the details are;

"History of the 11th Field Company Australian Engineers" War Narratives Publishing Company, London 1919.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for taking the trouble to check this out for me, Andrew.

Robbie

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest birdflightless

Hi Andrew,

Do you have any info on where the 54th Infantry Battalion AIF, were in action on 18th October 1917.

I am researching Samuel William Townsend Newman, who appears on the Memorial in Little Cornard, Suffolk, England, (died 4 November 1917.

I know he died in Wimereux Hospital France, but there is no info as to where he might have been at the time of his being wounded.

thanks in advance

Stewart

Dear Andrew

I realise you do not mention the 20th Battalion war diary but do you have any idea where they where engaged 9/10/17 that was when my great uncle 5107 William Wheate MM was killed in action.

I have his CWGC details and his MM Citation off the Australian Roll of Honour site.

Many thanks and best regards.

Paul.

Andrew

should have mentioned I have his full service record as well. Fantastic service from the Australian records staff!

Cheers

Paul.

Hi

I have many Australian battalion & unit histories if anyone needs any information from them. Some of them are

2ndBattalion AIF

3rd Battalion AIF

7th Battalion AIF

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''etc

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew ,

Do you have by chance the history of 4th Div/13th Bn? between 26Mar - 1 Apr 1918 (I do have the copies from Bean!) ?

Andrew,

While you're being inundated - I thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in.

A couple of the soldiers I'm researching were in the 29th Bn - and I was just wondering if you could check the index to see if either of them get a 'special mention' in the unit history [by the way - what's the book called? - there's no mention of it in "Shaping History"]

1. Pte Alfred Oswald BINGER, 1271, D Coy, 16 Platoon, 9/7/15 - KIA 26/9/17

He was known as Os - and was killed by shellfire whilst advancing towards enemy lines at Polygon Wood (and was buried in the vicinity) - comm. Ypres Memorial.

[His brother Maxwell was in the 2nd Tun Coy - I seem to remember you were interested in the Tunnelling Coy's - do you have anything on the 2nd?]

2. Pte Leonard George BERESFORD, 4764, enlisted 27/1/17, sailed with the 13th R 21/6/17 - RTA 23/7/19 - transfered to the Aust Corps School at some stage.

[service Record not on-line, & I've used up my quota yet again!]

I know the chances are slim - and there's no hurry - just when you have time!

Cheers, Frev.

[PS - No one seemed to have the 5th Bn in their lists - if anyone's interested I have that one]

Hi Frev, Egbert, Paul & Stewart.

I will check these for you when I get home tonight. Will hopefully get back to you with this asap.

Regards

Andrew