Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

• 1 month later...

Excellent news. Thanks Mick.

Looks like the new 47th Battalion unit history is now out for those who are interested.

"Battle Scarred: The 47th Battalion in the First World War"

Available here: http://regimental-books.com.au/shop/battle-scarred-the-47th-battalion-in-the-first-world-war-p-1062

Mick

Mick,

Do you know any details concerning when Tim Cook's book on the 55th Battalion will be published? Regimental books site indicates 2010/2011.

Scott

Mick,

Do you know any details concerning when Tim Cook's book on the 55th Battalion will be published? Regimental books site indicates 2010/2011.

Scott

Not yet - I'll drop him an email and see what I can find out.

Mick

Not yet - I'll drop him an email and see what I can find out.

Mick

Thanks Mick.

Looking forward to this book.

Scott

Looks like it will be next year from what I have been able to find out from him. I guess a more specific date will emerge later in the year.

I believe the forthcoming 19th Battalion book is also due out any day now.

I'm keen to get my hands on this one as well.

The Fighting Nineteenth - History of the 19th Battalion AIF 1915 - 1918

Mick

Looks like it will be next year from what I have been able to find out from him. I guess a more specific date will emerge later in the year.

Thanks for asking Mick.

I can see that 19th Battalion book finding its way into my collection for Easter!

Scott

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

For those of you in Brisbane, you may be interested to know that Craig is doing the Brisbane launch of Battle Scarred - The 47th Battalion in the First World War at Victoria Barracks at 5:30pm on Friday 17th June.

Mick

Looks like the new 47th Battalion unit history is now out for those who are interested.

"Battle Scarred: The 47th Battalion in the First World War"

Available here: http://regimental-books.com.au/shop/battle-scarred-the-47th-battalion-in-the-first-world-war-p-1062

Mick

I just heard that the 19th Battalion AIF unit history is due out this week.

"The Fighting Nineteenth - History of the 19th Battalion AIF 1915 - 1918" by Wayne Mathews and David Wilson.

This is really exciting as it's the first time the battalion's history has been written. I'm hanging out to get my copy. :)

the-fighting-nineteenth-history-of-the-19th-battalion-aif-1915-1918-fighting-19th-generic-123x175.jpg

Copies will be available here: http://regimental-books.com.au/shop/the-fighting-nineteenth-history-of-the-19th-battalion-aif-1915-1918-p-1061

And very well priced!

Mick

I just got my copies of David Holloway's new 4th Light Horse book Endure and Fight - A Detailed History of the 4th Light Horse Regiment AIF, 1914-1919.

It's a real beauty and looks to be very well researched and written!

Mick

ps

Glenn @ Regimental Books also advised that he will have copies of The Fighting Nineteenth - History of the 19th Battalion AIF 1915 - 1918 in the next few days. Exciting stuff! And the Brisbane 47th Battalion book launch is also a week away. Is anyone else going to that?

I just heard that the 19th Battalion AIF unit history is due out this week.

"The Fighting Nineteenth - History of the 19th Battalion AIF 1915 - 1918" by Wayne Mathews and David Wilson.

This is really exciting as it's the first time the battalion's history has been written. I'm hanging out to get my copy. :)

the-fighting-nineteenth-history-of-the-19th-battalion-aif-1915-1918-fighting-19th-generic-123x175.jpg

Copies will be available here: http://regimental-books.com.au/shop/the-fighting-nineteenth-history-of-the-19th-battalion-aif-1915-1918-p-1061

And very well priced!

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my copies of David Holloway's new 4th Light Horse book Endure and Fight - A Detailed History of the 4th Light Horse Regiment AIF, 1914-1919.

It's a real beauty and looks to be very well researched and written!

Mick

Have to agree with you Mick. Detailed is an understatement.

Jonathan

Just my hands on a copy of The Fighting Nineteenth - History of the 19th Battalion AIF 1915 - 1918. Looking forward to reading it tonight.

I see it was co-written by David Wilson, so I will have to buy a copy. It seems only yesterday he was a young Army Captain and extra in Peter Weir's movie 'Gallipoli'. If you ever watch it again, listen out for the man calling out for more morphine. That's our David. His photo holding the book looks just like the 1981 person.

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who may be interested, the following AIF battalion unit histories are currently being researched and written.

18th Battalion

20th Battalion (I'm still trying to find out who is doing this one)

26th Battalion

27th Battalion

31st Battalion

34th Battalion

35th Battalion

36th Battalion

55th Battalion

56th Battalion

Looks like some more excellent books coming out over the next couple or years or so.

Mick

Hi Mick

Out of interest who is doing the 27th Battalion history?

Regards

Andrew

Not sure about the name - I was just told it's being written. I'll try and find out more.

Gary Parson is writing the 26th Battalion history. I chatted to him about it a couple of weeks ago.

Mick

HI

I'll look forward to the 31st

regards

Robert

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested in the 9th Battalion AIF, there's a new book out about them. I just got my copy - looks very well done.

Ordinary Men, Extraordinary Service - The World War 1 Experience of the 9th Battalion (Queensland)

From the Regimental Books website...

The World War One experiences of the 9th Battalion (Queensland) AIF & Reflections of the Gallipoli Campaign…..

The men of the 9th Battalion, a Queensland based unit of the AIF, were among the very first wave of volunteers to enlist for war service in what was initially thought of as the ‘great adventure’ with their mates following the outbreak of World War 1. For these young men reality would soon see their world turn upside down.

Chris follows this Battalion of brave men through their experiences, recounting the lives of individual men within the battalion obtained from diary and service records. This book also take time to present in a well paced manner, the military strategy and planning behind the Gallipoli campaign.

Mick

• 1 month later...

Last I heard April, 2012.

I'll check with the author and see if he has another update.

Mick

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Looks like the new 10th Light Horse AIF unit history is now available!

gallipoli-to-tripoli-history-of-the-10th-light-horse-regiment-aif-19141919-gallipoli-to-tripoli-10th-light-horse-generic-115x175.jpg

This all new regimental history seeks to complement and add to Arthur Olden’s earlier history, first published in 1921. The author’s have sought to shed new light and information on the doings of the 10th Light Horse Regiment, from it’s formation in Perth in October 1914 until the end of the Great War and Egyptian Uprising.

The Gallipoli campaign saw the men's introduction to war, albeit without their horses, and where the Regiment sustained heavy casualties, especially in the actions at The Nek and Hill 60 in August 1915.

Following this campaign the men were reunited with their horses in Egypt, going on to serve in the Middle East in Sinai, Palestine and Syria, followed by the Egyptian Uprising in early 1919.

The narrative is divided across these two very distinct episodes in the Regiment’s history, with each author covering in their own styles, the Gallipoli and Middle East campaigns.

There are hundreds of photos, both in the narrative and in a photo chapter in the back of the book. Numerous appendices allow for the book to become an important research tool when studying this fine West Australian regiment of light horse. It is hoped that this book will sit well alongside all the other regimental histories, both old and new on the men of the Australian Light Horse.

Available here:

Gallipoli to Tripoli - History of the 10th Light Horse Regiment AIF 1914-1919

Regards,

Mick

Mick,

That's excellent news, have already ordered the book. I was under the impression that the book was to be launched on the 13th Nov, but the book seller must have received

advance copies.

Hi Guys,

There's another unit history scheduled to be released in 2012. This one is about the 21st Battalion AIF.

"The Twenty First" - The Story of Geelong's 21st Battalion 1914-1919

It will also be including a short history of the 21st/23rd Battalion (City of Geelong Regiment) from the 1920s through to the start of World War II.

I know the author and will provide further updates when they become available.

Mick