Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

If he was 11th Bn AIF, the unit diaries have been digitised at the Australian War Memorial: http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/folder.asp?folder=952 This will give you a day-by-day account of the battalion's doings and their location.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

NB- I have a copy of AD Ellis' "Story of the Fifth Australian Division", c1920 if anybody needs any look-ups.

• 1 month later...

Hi Andrew,

I'm trying to track down more details about my great grandfather who served in 34th battalion aif from 8 January 1916 until he was killed on the first day of the battle for Messines Ridge on 7 June 1917. I've got his service record, and am trying to get my hands on the battalion war diary for the month in question, although last time I asked I was told that it was being digitised and was unavailable.

According to Les Carlyon (who was kind enough to reply to an email from my father), 34th battalion was not in action on the day of my great-grandfather's death.

There is a book entitled "a short history of the 34th battalion, aif", however I have not been able to get my hands on a copy. There are, of course, several at the awm, but I'm not exactly nearby.

I wonder whether you might have any information about the battalion generally, or specifically regarding its role at about the time in question.

regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

The War Diary for 34 Bn has been digitised and is now available to download on the AWM website. Les Carlyon should read it.

Chris Henschke

Jeff ... do you have the service record for your grandfather?

The official history of the AIF can be found here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/volume.asp?conflict=1

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Jeff,

The War Diary for 34 Bn has been digitsed and is now available to download on the AWM website. Les Carlyon should read it.

Chris Henschke

Pls forgive the transgressions of a n00b. I found the war diary using recordsearch, but there was nothing suggesting that it had been digitised. Have now found the diary in question.

I see what you mean Chris. His book does not mention the 34th's involvement in the attack of 7 June (see p 402), but I note that the map on that page does refer to the gas shelling around ploegsteert wood, which the diary also details. The orders attached to the diary (at p 20) make it plain that the 34th was indeed involved from zero hour.

thank you for your help

Jeff

Jeff ... do you have the service record for your grandfather?

The official history of the AIF can be found here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/volume.asp?conflict=1

Bright Blessings

Sandra

thank you for the link, Sandra. I have his service record, which provides a small amount of insight into his brief career as a soldier. As a boy in the 70's I met his wife - my great grandmother. Some poignant letters from her to the AIF requesting details of his death are on his service record. I was really struck by the almost stiltedly polite and respectful tone of the correspondence. They gave her no information about his death, and then misinformed her about his burial. A pro-forma correction was later sent to her. In 1922 she was sent a victory medal. Grandfather died when dad was 10, and very little is known about him, so it's good to be able to find some more info.

regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff

The 34th Battalion were definately involved at Messines. My Great Uncle who was in the 34th was wounded on the 7th of June during the attack.

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the 34th history but the State Library in Perth does and I've been meaning to go and have another look at it so if you want a photocopy of the Messines section just let me know. From memory though it is not big in detail.

If you don't mind me asking what was your relative's name?

Cheers

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

[nothing about the race meeting in the 15th Battalion History....leaps from Hamel in July to the preparations for the August attacks.....

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my spare (reprint) copy of the 15th Battalion AIF History by Chataway.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...E:IT&ih=021

I'm also offloading my spare 45th Battalion copy as well.

Mick

• 4 months later...

Good evening to all. What a fine evening it is. I am seeking any information on the 55th Australian Infantry Battalion AIF. Does anyone have any photograpic or written material produced by the officers and men of htis Battalion? Any leads on where i can find some?

Starting from scratch to find some material...anyone out there able to assist a humble fellow forum member?

Cindy (Aust)

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is interested, I'm selling my spare (reprint) copy of the 15th Battalion AIF History by Chataway.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...E:IT&ih=021

I'm also offloading my spare 45th Battalion copy as well.

Mick

I am reseaching my Great Uncle David Buckley Reg No- 718. Rank- Private. 15Th Battalion/ 4th Brigade/ AFI

E coy. I know he was killed at Gallipoli on the 26/04/1915, any information about him or his btn around

this time would be great.

Thanks Bux.

I am reseaching my Great Uncle David Buckley Reg No- 718. Rank- Private. 15Th Battalion/ 4th Brigade/ AFI

E coy. I know he was killed at Gallipoli on the 26/04/1915, any information about him or his btn around

this time would be great.

Thanks Bux.

From memory, the 15th landed on Gallipoli around the 25/26th April.

I'll have a look at my copy of the book to see if there is any mention of him.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

A rellie of mine, reg. no. 100, served in 28th Battalion, 7th Brigade AIF. Apart from that, all I know is that -

He 'signed up' Boulder, WA 28-02-1915

Battalion disembarked at Mudros 10-01-1916 - presumably on their way to Gallipoli

Wounded 05-11-1916 France

First couple of months of 1917 he appears to have been in Monte Video

Repatriated 1920 with wife and 2 children

At some stage, he was in 'A Company'

Sorry there's so little to go on, but any info on locations of 28th Battalion 7th Brigade (particularly while in France) most welcome.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Andrew,

I am researching a Lance Corporal George Dornan who served with the 44th Battalion AIF. (He is commemorated on the family headstone in Cargycreevy Presbyterian churchyard in the wilds of Co. Down in N. Ireland). He was KIA near Saille-le-Sec on the 7 April 1918. Would the unit history have much to say about the events around that time? Also would you have any suggestions about where I might look for a photograph of him. There is nothing in the AWM or National Archive.

Many thanks.

Pat

Hi Andrew,

A rellie of mine, reg. no. 100, served in 28th Battalion, 7th Brigade AIF. Apart from that, all I know is that -

He 'signed up' Boulder, WA 28-02-1915

Battalion disembarked at Mudros 10-01-1916 - presumably on their way to Gallipoli

Wounded 05-11-1916 France

First couple of months of 1917 he appears to have been in Monte Video

Repatriated 1920 with wife and 2 children

At some stage, he was in 'A Company'

Sorry there's so little to go on, but any info on locations of 28th Battalion 7th Brigade (particularly while in France) most welcome.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim

Unfortunately my 28th Battalion history is out on loan at the moment but the 28th Battalion served in the majority of the major Australian actions in France.

The 28th & 26th Battalions conducted the first Australian trench raid in France in June 1916;

They fought at Pozieres & Mouquet Farm in July & August 1916 - They were very badly hit during their first attack at Pozieres but are are credited with capturing the important windmill position at Pozieres during their 2nd attack.

They served at Ypres Sept & october 1916;

Back on the Somme, the 28th & 27th Battalion's launched an attack on the 5th of November 1916, casualties again were severe and I presume it was during this attack that your relative was wounded.

In 1917 they fought at 2nd Bullecourt in May & The Third Ypres battles Sept & Oct 1917

1918 they again fought in a number of major actions particularly from April to October 1918.

For specefic battles it would be worth checking their unit diary whih is on line at the AWM website

http:www.awm.gov.au

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I am researching a Lance Corporal George Dornan who served with the 44th Battalion AIF. (He is commemorated on the family headstone in Cargycreevy Presbyterian churchyard in the wilds of Co. Down in N. Ireland). He was KIA near Saille-le-Sec on the 7 April 1918. Would the unit history have much to say about the events around that time? Also would you have any suggestions about where I might look for a photograph of him. There is nothing in the AWM or National Archive.

Many thanks.

Pat

Hi Pat

George Dornan has come into my research also. I visited his grave at Villers Brettoneux last year but unfortunately I don't have any photos of him. He was working as a Grocer in South Fremantle when he enlisted in the AIF in January 1916.

Have you been able to check the Belfast papers of the time? His relatives were still in Ireland so they may have put a photo of him in one of the local papers.

I'm happy to send you his grave photo from France if you don't have it?

I'll check the 44th history when I get home tonight, but in the meantime it may be work checking the 44th Battalion unit diary

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/folder.asp?folder=985

Regards

Andrew

Hi Tim

Unfortunately my 28th Battalion history is out on loan at the moment but the 28th Battalion served in the majority of the major Australian actions in France.

The 28th & 26th Battalions conducted the first Australian trench raid in France in June 1916;

They fought at Pozieres & Mouquet Farm in July & August 1916 - They were very badly hit during their first attack at Pozieres but are are credited with capturing the important windmill position at Pozieres during their 2nd attack.

They served at Ypres Sept & october 1916;

Back on the Somme, the 28th & 27th Battalion's launched an attack on the 5th of November 1916, casualties again were severe and I presume it was during this attack that your relative was wounded.

In 1917 they fought at 2nd Bullecourt in May & The Third Ypres battles Sept & Oct 1917

1918 they again fought in a number of major actions particularly from April to October 1918.

For specefic battles it would be worth checking their unit diary whih is on line at the AWM website

http:www.awm.gov.au

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Brilliant! - and the link.

THANK YOU

Tim

Hi Pat

George Dornan has come into my research also. I visited his grave at Villers Brettoneux last year but unfortunately I don't have any photos of him. He was working as a Grocer in South Fremantle when he enlisted in the AIF in January 1916.

Have you been able to check the Belfast papers of the time? His relatives were still in Ireland so they may have put a photo of him in one of the local papers.

I'm happy to send you his grave photo from France if you don't have it?

I'll check the 44th history when I get home tonight, but in the meantime it may be work checking the 44th Battalion unit diary

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/folder.asp?folder=985

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Many thanks for the swift reply, a photo of his grave would be great. If it is of any use to you I should have a photo of the family headstone at Cargycreevy somewhere, the trick of course is finding it. Failing that I can nip up there and get one. I have a copy of the 44th Battalion Diary and have been working through it - its brilliant as is GD's service record which gives a precise map reference for his original burial. Great stuff from the NAA and AWM; a pity I can't say the same about Kew. At some point I'll try to get a glance at the Belfast papers as you suggest and if anything turns up I'll pass it on.

Much obliged,

Pat

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

My mate Glenn who runs Regimental Books (www.regimental-books.com.au) has advised me that a new limited edition (3rd edition) reprint of "History of the 11th Light Horse Regiment, Fourth Light Horse Brigade, Australian Imperial Forces, War 1914-1919" by Ernest W Hammond is going to be available shortly.

He said that he is taking pre-orders now.

His email is info@regimental-books.com.au if anyone is interested in purchasing a copy.

Mick

Forgot to mention that I also have access to many Australian units embarkation rolls, plus information regarding the Australian Tunnelling Companies.

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Andrew

I have seen your kind offer of information on TUNNELLING COMPANIES .I was wondering if you can identify the officer in the 3rd tunnelling Coy who wrote the history on the action you posted on Oct 2006 when Major Coulter was shot through the mouth.My grandfather -then Captain-Alexander Sanderson was beside him when he was killed on this raid.Could I possibly have a copy of this officer's account/s with the 3rd TCoy and, if so, could I include it in the book I am writing on my grandfather's life, later Major Sanderson DSO MC Bar MID CO of the 3rd T COY after Coulter's death . I would be extremely grateful and happy to send you a copy of my book once self-published plus acknowledgement in same.

I have Charles Bean's account of this action as told to him by my grandfather and it would be fascinating to put the two together into a fuller published account account.

I look forward to hearing from you and would be grateful for any other information you might be able to pass on to me to round off my account.

many thanks

Robin Sanderson

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

My mate Glenn who runs Regimental Books (www.regimental-books.com.au) has advised me that a new limited edition (3rd edition) reprint of "History of the 11th Light Horse Regiment, Fourth Light Horse Brigade, Australian Imperial Forces, War 1914-1919" by Ernest W Hammond is now available.

His email is info@regimental-books.com.au if anyone is interested in purchasing a copy. I got one myself and its quite well done - also he will soon have other Light Horse unit history reprints in stock.

I think he has also have a 7th Light Horse reprint for sale at present if anyone is chasing a copy of this.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day all

Can anyone help me with some info on the 49th Battalion? My GtGt-Uncle Ray (Roy) N S Brown was wounded on 12 Oct 1917 & died in Camiers Hospital about 9 days later. As this was close to the Battle of Polygon Wood on 26 Sep I wondered whether this was part of mopping up operations in the area or if the unit had moved on to new fun by then?

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder that I am happy to look up information for others in relation the WW1 Australian.

Also I will be touring the WW1 Western Front battlefields from 15th to 20th June. Any requests?

Thanks,

Good Morning,

I have an interest in the Australian forces in WW1, and hold the following battalion histories.

1st Batt.

2nd Batt

3rd Batt

4th Batt

5th Batt

6th Batt

7th Batt

8th Batt

9th Batt

10th Batt

11th Batt

12th Batt. I have a spare copy of this hard cover Burridge reprint for sale.

13th Batt

14th Batt.

15th Batt

16th Batt

17th Batt

21st Batt

22nd Batt. I have a spare copy of this hard cover Burridge reprint for sale.

23rd Batt

24th Batt

25th Batt

27th Batt

28th Batt

29th Batt

30th Batt

31st Batt

32nd Batt

33rd Batt.

37th Batt

38th Batt

39th Batt

40th Batt

41st Batt

42nd Batt

43rd Batt

44th Batt

45th Batt

46th Batt. I have a spare copy of this history for sale.

48th Batt

49th Batt

50th Batt

51st Batt

52nd Batt

53rd Batt

54th Batt

57/60th Batts.

I also possess a large number of other reference books relative to this subject.

I am happy to assist people with information from these sources.

Thanks,