Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Both Grt Grandfathers

colin55

Both of my grandfathers served in ww1 i have listed the regiments that they served in below,I have tried to download pictures but the site wont allow it for some reason.

I'm trying to find out more about where they served, i was told that Frank Tranah served in palestine or the middle east but thats all i know.the photo i have of him has him with a pithe helmet with the number 5 on the side of it.

Frank WilliamTranah Hampshire Regiment 281121 Acting Corporal Rifle Brigade 212228 Acting Corporal

Labour Corps 549461 Acting Corporal East Surrey Regiment L/14016

Edward Richard Chambers 7th Royal west Kent’s G/28249 Private

The family new that Edward Chambers was taken POW by the germans and the dates apparently were him being known Missing between 3-1918 and 7- 1918 but was reported nov 1918 and he was released in 1919

Hello Colin

Edward was undoubtedly captured during the opening phase of the German Spring Offensive.

The 7th Battalion of the RWKs were part of the 18th (Eastern) Division in the 55th then 53rd Brigade.

An outline history of the activities can be found on the main site here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/18div.htm

Have you downloaded his MIC yet - with a service number in the 28xxx he may have been eligible for the 1914-15 Star. If so this will give you a date of entry into the theatre of war and it will be possible to trace his steps through the Battalion war diary.

Regards

Mel

With Frank it looks as if he was a member of the TF 1/6 Battalion of the Hamps.

His service number of 281121 falls within the bloc of 280001-305000 six figure renumbering of the TF in 1917. This is his first service number upon entry into the theatre of war and fits with the 1/6ths arriving in Mesopotamia ain September 1917 after service in India.

This is from the main site:

1/6th (Duke of Connaught's Own) Battalion

August 1914 : in Portsmouth. Bn was Army Troops attached to Wessex Division, later attached to Devon and Cornwall Brigade. 9 October 1914 : sailed for India, landing Karachi 11 November 1914. 16 September 1917 : landed at Basra , and remained in Mesopotamia for the rest of the war, attached to 52nd Brigade, 17th Indian Division.

Regards

Mel

Hi,

Have you tried to get there service records from the National Archive?

Of particualr interest to me is your grandfather who was a POW (my great grandfather was one too). Do you have any other details about him?

Regards

Oli

With Frank it looks as if he was a member of the TF 1/6 Battalion of the Hamps.

His service number of 281121 falls within the bloc of 280001-305000 six figure renumbering of the TF in 1917. This is his first service number upon entry into the theatre of war and fits with the 1/6ths arriving in Mesopotamia ain September 1917 after service in India.

This is from the main site:

1/6th (Duke of Connaught's Own) Battalion

August 1914 : in Portsmouth. Bn was Army Troops attached to Wessex Division, later attached to Devon and Cornwall Brigade. 9 October 1914 : sailed for India, landing Karachi 11 November 1914. 16 September 1917 : landed at Basra , and remained in Mesopotamia for the rest of the war, attached to 52nd Brigade, 17th Indian Division.

Regards

Mel

Thanks for your replies and so quick too,

Hi,

Have you tried to get there service records from the National Archive?

Of particualr interest to me is your grandfather who was a POW (my great grandfather was one too). Do you have any other details about him?

Regards

Oli

Hi Oli,

I am going to the west kents museum next week,I spoke to the fellow who runs it and they have information about the men of the West Kents and edward R chambers was mentioned as a POW and so hopefully i can find out alot more.

As for the National Archive im not sure how to go about finding the service records

Both of my grandfathers served in ww1 i have listed the regiments that they served in below,I have tried to download pictures but the site wont allow it for some reason.

I'm trying to find out more about where they served, i was told that Frank Tranah served in palestine or the middle east but thats all i know.the photo i have of him has him with a pithe helmet with the number 5 on the side of it.

Frank WilliamTranah Hampshire Regiment 281121 Acting Corporal Rifle Brigade 212228 Acting Corporal

Labour Corps 549461 Acting Corporal East Surrey Regiment L/14016

Edward Richard Chambers 7th Royal west Kent’s G/28249 Private

The family new that Edward Chambers was taken POW by the germans and the dates apparently were him being known Missing between 3-1918 and 7- 1918 but was reported nov 1918 and he was released in 1919

The Photos are of Frank Tranah

post-19234-1172013886.jpg

post-19234-1172013919.jpg

Hi Oli,

I am going to the west kents museum next week,I spoke to the fellow who runs it and they have information about the men of the West Kents and edward R chambers was mentioned as a POW and so hopefully i can find out alot more.

As for the National Archive im not sure how to go about finding the service records

Hi

How fantastic to go to the RWK Museum! My Great Grandfather was 2nd Lt with the 7th RWK, he was killed in action near Richemont on 23/10/1918, leading his men across a light wooden bridge. I am going to Le Cateau Communal Cemetery next week to visit his grave, he is in plot 3 and the following men from the 7th RWK who were killed on the same day are also buried there:

Harry Thomas Wells -Private

W.C Manuel - Private

A Hazell Private

C.F.Bryant -Private

E. Plumbe -Serjeant

My Gr Grandfather was also awarded the MC

For conspicuous gallantry and enterprise during the operations at Bernafray Wood on August 27th and 28th, 1918. Keeping close up with the barrage he reached the objective with his company, and, pressing on, he gave the enemy no time to reorganise. Later, when the troops on both flanks were driven back he superintended the defence of the flanks under heavy fire and ultimately enabled the line to be re-established.

Sara

Hi Oli,

Hi,

Sounds like a good lead at the west kents museum, I will be interested to hear what you find out – Keep the forum updated!!!

As for the service records at the National Archive it is a bit of a complicated one. I am only a novice myself but as far as I understand all the service records that survive are at the NA. I say that survive because the Germans in the blitz, WWII, destroyed some of the records. I think about 1 third survive.

As for getting them you have a few options. You could go to London yourself and see if you can get your mitts on them – but you will need some advice on how to use the NA. I cant help on this one, sorry.

I tried to get my great granddads documents by paying a researcher. He went to the NA and had a look, but no trace. It cost me £10.00 to find out. The email for the guy I used is paulbaillie@tiscali.co.uk You might want to give him a buzz and find out his current rates. (I don’t know what the rules are on the forum but I should probably also advise you that there are other researchers that you could use) :D

Another option would be to ask people on the forum who are going to the NA if they will be so kind as to have a look for you.

Hope this helps

Oli

Hello Colin

Edward was undoubtedly captured during the opening phase of the German Spring Offensive.

The 7th Battalion of the RWKs were part of the 18th (Eastern) Division in the 55th then 53rd Brigade.

Have you downloaded his MIC yet - with a service number in the 28xxx he may have been eligible for the 1914-15 Star. If so this will give you a date of entry into the theatre of war and it will be possible to trace his steps through the Battalion war diary.

Regards

Mel

Hi Mel

this is Edward richard chambers medal Card

Hello Colin

Regards

Mel

post-19234-1172196649.jpg