Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

west yorks reg

buba

hi,everyone

im researching my grandfather bert bubb who served in the west yorkshire regiment his sevice number was

11775, all i know is that he was wounded in left shoulder.

any information would be gratful.

many thanks

mike :D

Hello Mike. Welcome

It's difficult to offer any guidance without knowing which battalion he served with, and you might need to download his Medal Index Card from the National Archive website. It costs £3.50, and then there is no guarantee of any mention. If I was to hazard a guess, and I'm being brave here :lol: , I would say that your Grandfather was one of the early enlistments in one of the Service Battalions as opposed to a Territorial unit, given his five-digit number. I have a man in the 10th Battalion West Yorks, for instance, who is only one number behind. [Please see below]. I know this isn't a great deal of use, but I'm hoping it's a move in the right direction. Do you have any idea of his place of birth, his age, or any address, etc?

11776 Pte. William Patrick Carney [E. Birmingham. D. 24-8-1918]

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hello Mike. Welcome

It's difficult to offer any guidance without knowing which battalion he served with, and you might need to download his Medal Index Card from the National Archive website. It costs £3.50, and then there is no guarantee of any mention. If I was to hazard a guess, and I'm being brave here :lol: , I would say that your Grandfather was one of the early enlistments in one of the Service Battalions as opposed to a Territorial unit, given his five-digit number. I have a man in the 10th Battalion West Yorks, for instance, who is only one number behind. [Please see below]. I know this isn't a great deal of use, but I'm hoping it's a move in the right direction. Do you have any idea of his place of birth, his age, or any address, etc?

11776 Pte. William Patrick Carney [E. Birmingham. D. 24-8-1918]

Kind Regards,

Dave

Cheers Mike,

I've just sent you a PM. Interestingly, there is a George Bubb listed on the Leeds Absent Voters List. Cpl. George Bubb No. 80238 Royal Field Artillery. He was living at 'Whiteley Fold' in 1918, which is towards the West of Leeds--Armley, Bramley, Stanningley, Pudsey. A relation, perhaps? :D

Kind Regards,

Dave

Mike

I agree with Daves very brave guess :D , he is correct in assuming that Pte Bert Bubb 11775 enlisted very early at the out break of war. As the 11--- numbers where given to the new recruits from the aug/sept/nov of 1914, and as Dave says the number falls 1 behind 11776 Pte. William Patrick Carney [E. Birmingham. D. 24-8-1918], but what is also interesting that there is a 11765 Pte John Sutton[E.Birmingham.KIA.1/7/16].

Both these men from the 10th Battalion. Large groups of 11--- series numbered men aound the 9th,10th,11th,and 12th Battalions in the first two years of the war 1914-1916.

But you could assume that Pte Bert Bubb was posted to the 10th Batt(looking at the number sequnce), and then may of moved to another Battalion.

Hope this is of some help

Dave

Was there a section of soldiers that enlisted from Birmingham? i have a 11752 Leeds and a 11785 Wetherby, you have me thinking now :) .Not another line of enquire :( . Going to look at more numbers.

Regards Kevin

hi kevin

have had some information back today from national archives today,statement of services(date,battallions etc) all a bit confusing for me :(

also a hospital record sheet from Ripon hospital states gun shot wound left arm with 64 days spent in hospital!!

any help on explaining documents would be gratful :blink:

kind regards

mike

ps: will post, silver wound badge number later on tonight if get chance.

Mike

Either try and scan documents and post here, and i will try and help where poss(and i am sure some other pal will help as well), if not PM me and i will send you my email address, and may be you can foreward a copy of documents onto me.(have PM'ed you).

Regards Kevin

Mike

Either try and scan documents and post here, and i will try and help where poss(and i am sure some other pal will help as well), if not PM me and i will send you my email address, and may be you can foreward a copy of documents onto me.(have PM'ed you).

Regards Kevin

cheers Kevin ,Will do :D