Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

303s anyone?

Captain Dave

post-3541-1171917609.jpgI have noticed a large amount of posts lately regarding SMLEs and how to clean them, what a deactivated one entails etc etc. I note that gun laws are much stricter in the UK and thus it is harder for the average person to procure a decent working first world war .303. I just thought you might like to see a picture of stripped 303s that a friend of mine collects and sells as part of his business (the shot is from his website). 303s are still plentiful down here and very cheap for the sporterised versions. These rifles have been purchased and will be stripped down for parts etc, the decent ones are refurbished and onsold. (He has managed to sell me a few) Anyway, it's nice to know that there are still people looking after them. It's also enjoyable to look at his completed collection. I have learnt more about .303s by handling them then I probably ever would have by reading about them.

Sacrilege!

It makes me weep!!

can you post pictures of his completed collection?

A tearful Ivan.

it's like looking at skeletons................

I liked the 303 - you knew youd fired it (preferred the SLR and hated the SA80)

And gun laws are very tight - I remember finding a ww1 Very pistol and my dad being a copper destroyed it!

it's like looking at skeletons................

...of your friends :blink::(

Regards,

MikB

I shall endevour to get some shots of his completed .303s this week. I would just reiterate I didint want to distress anyone! The rifles are all loved, and if not in good conditioned, stripped down for spares for others. Nothing is wasted.

I think I may blub... :(

There may be some pre Great War BSAs in that lot!

M

I didint want to distress anyone! The rifles are all loved, and if not in good conditioned, stripped down for spares for others. Nothing is wasted.

I must admit the photo appears somewhat distressing (although not as bad as some I've seen of weapons being disposed of).

The early stages of restoration always looks brutal, please hurry with the 'after' photos to dispel the air of gloom the original photo casts.

Tom the Walrus

Just to cheer Matthew up - rescued from a pawn shop in Georgia and a gunshow in Illinois. In one case the seller tried to get me to buy a synthetic stock for it and in the other a scope mount.....I politely declined and walked away with my $75 rifles

1911 Enfield (cuttof removed - No1MkIII* higher wood - probably Indian - blocking slot currently)

1912 BSA

Nice No1 MkIIIs used to be all over in the US - they seem less common hereabouts anyway - for which my family budget is grateful. No4s still plentiful

Nice rifles 4th.

There was a time when a lot of SMLEs came into the UK (about 14 years ago). I managed to get a 1941 Lithgow; all the BSA's etc had gone. Then managed to get a 1950's Long Branch a few years ago. It feels good to give these relics (which is what they are) a caring home!

M

I have just recently bought a 1910 smle mk1 no3, it has the mag cut off and volley sights,its a lovely rifle,if people want deacs buy a replica instead,and if you want the real thing get a firearms license.I have a 1911 bayonet ,i missed out on a 1910 someone had put a deposit on it.

I have put a deposit on a 1915 spandau mauser g98,cant wait to get that!

post-19234-1172161457.jpg

post-19234-1172161478.jpg

post-19234-1172161506.jpg

I have just recently bought a 1910 smle mk1 no3, it has the mag cut off and volley sights,its a lovely rifle,if people want deacs buy a replica instead,and if you want the real thing get a firearms license.I have a 1911 bayonet ,i missed out on a 1910 someone had put a deposit on it.

I have put a deposit on a 1915 spandau mauser g98,cant wait to get that!

Colin

I live in Scotland, where the laws are very different with regards ownership of firearms. I collect WW1 militaria as a hobby and have a 1913 LSA with cut-off and the rest of the bits that make up a MK1 No3. A replica does not come with a history, which most of these rifles do. It is a point that is seldom recognised I feel by those who shoot these rifles that those of us who have a deactivated SMLE care just as much and love them just as much as those who have the privilage of firing them.

Regards del :)

An SLR with a scope?!? What ever next.

Your not the only person to comment about the FAL with a scope,I get grief off of some ex squddies in my shooting clubs,as soon as i get my target rifle i will be swapping it over,and putting it back to standard.

Colin

I live in Scotland, where the laws are very different with regards ownership of firearms. I collect WW1 militaria as a hobby and have a 1913 LSA with cut-off and the rest of the bits that make up a MK1 No3. A replica does not come with a history, which most of these rifles do. It is a point that is seldom recognised I feel by those who shoot these rifles that those of us who have a deactivated SMLE care just as much and love them just as much as those who have the privilage of firing them.

Regards del :)

I agree that replicas dont have the history,and thanks to some sick murdering scum,shooters and collectors alike have to make to with what they are allowed to have and jump through hoops to be able to own firearms.My friend collects WW1 pistols,he has a section 1 ticket and has a nice collection but he is not allowed to own the ammunition.

I don't doubt that you care for your deac but to own and shoot the rifles is such a great feeling and its a shame that not everyone gets the chance to do it.

I agree that replicas dont have the history,and thanks to some sick murdering scum,shooters and collectors alike have to make to with what they are allowed to have and jump through hoops to be able to own firearms.My friend collects WW1 pistols,he has a section 1 ticket and has a nice collection but he is not allowed to own the ammunition.

I don't doubt that you care for your deac but to own and shoot the rifles is such a great feeling and its a shame that not everyone gets the chance to do it.

Thx for the reply Colin, I hope that you are able to enjoy your hobby as long as you can,as for me I'll just keep adding the BLO to my smelley.

take care delboy ;)

post-8445-1172173310.jpgpost-8445-1172173347.jpgit's like looking at skeletons................

Heres some snaps of the living & the dead.

Dunno if it'll cheer you up or not though :D

Your not the only person to comment about the FAL with a scope,I get grief off of some ex squddies in my shooting clubs,as soon as i get my target rifle i will be swapping it over,and putting it back to standard.

Quite right. Your not supposed to hit anyone with a SLR just give 'em a bit of a fright.

:D

post-8445-1172173310.jpgpost-8445-1172173347.jpgit's like looking at skeletons................

Heres some snaps of the living & the dead.

Dunno if it'll cheer you up or not though :D

What's your point?

the point maybe the end of the bayonet :rolleyes:

nice pics dave ye know me like the crusty old stuff

tafski ;)

Thought you'd like em Bruce.

Top corpse is stamped to 2nd Border Regt.so its pretty much me fave.

2nd is the live firer at home in France,1915 BSA 111(hence,delboy,the point of this thread :P )

3rd is same year & type as the live one but,needs a bit of TLC.

I have a deac too but,imagine the history behind all these!

I couldn't fancy a repro

When you found/bought the 2nd Border SMLE did the vendor give you any history behind it? Like where it was found etc?

Hiya,

a French pal knew about my interest in 1st Ypres & Festubert etc.& put me in touch with Gaston from Billy Berclau(spell check)who's son had been a major collector from this sector until he died .He gave me the smle when I remarked on the butt plate.Said it was from the Loos region.A bit too late for my family search but,the same Btn as my gt.uncle.

It still has the remnants of the breach coner on it. :D

Ta,Dave.