Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3/4th Bn Duke of Wellington`s (West Riding) Regiment

whiterose

Hi,

I have a letter with pieces missing.It refers to being transferred to The 4th Battalion Duke of Wellington`s

(West Riding) Regiment and then mentions a King Edward`s School.I think that it was a Training Battalion so that I have assumed it to be the 3/4th.Does any one out there know of the connection and the possible location of the school and the Depot? It could have been have been Brocton or Rugeley or neither.It was from this Depot that my Father was drafted to France late March 1918. I have read A Town for Four Winters but I am none the wiser.

Thanks,

George.

Hello George,

What was your Father's name, rank and number ? If he served abroad with the 4th Battalion West Riding (Duke of Wellington`s) Regiment he should have a 6 Figure number. Can you provide a transcript of the letter? I'll have a look to see where the various 3rd line Territorial Battalions were. The 11th was a Training Battalion. There is a King Edwards School in the Birmigham area and also one at Oxford. I don't think it would have been the 3/4th because they re-organised the Reserve Battalions about 1917.

Regards

Ron

Hello George,

What was your Father's name, rank and number ? If he served abroad with the 4th Battalion West Riding (Duke of Wellington`s) Regiment he should have a 6 Figure number. Can you provide a transcript of the letter? I'll have a look to see where the various 3rd line Territorial Battalions were. The 11th was a Training Battalion. There is a King Edwards School in the Birmigham area and also one at Oxford. I don't think it would have been the 3/4th because they re-organised the Reserve Battalions about 1917.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

Because of the particular circumstances that surround my enquiry I have decided to send a copy of the letter remains to The Regimental Archives in Halifax and specify the research required.It is the fairer way to all concerned and should get some sort of a result.I can go into the reasons by a PM as the service record overseas is known but with a different regiment.Any further details here would only confuse the issue and just be a waste of your time.I shall let you know if I get a result with all the whys and wherefores.

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

George.

Hello George,

The 4th Res Battalion West Riding (Duke of Wellington`s) Regiment was at Clipstone Camp in 1916, then moved to Rugeley in October, 1917 before moving to Bromeswell (near Woodbridge) in July, 1918 and then to Southend in October, 1918. The 11th Battalion, which was a Training Battalion, was at Brocton from 1916 on. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Hello George,

The 4th Res Battalion West Riding (Duke of Wellington`s) Regiment was at Clipstone Camp in 1916, then moved to Rugeley in October, 1917 before moving to Bromeswell (near Woodbridge) in July, 1918 and then to Southend in October, 1918. The 11th Battalion, which was a Training Battalion, was at Brocton from 1916 on. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

The Rugeley option would seem the most likely and covers the January -March 1918 period in question.This would fit in with every thing else.As indicated I am trying to get confimation that my Father was there and the location of certain references in the letter.Have sent a copy of the letter remains and of a photograph showing him wearing a DoW`s cap badge ,at some point in time,to the Halifax Archives with the donation.If this was the case ,presumably ,when drafted it would normally have been to a DoW`s battalion in France but as previously stated on arrival he was more or less straight way transferred to 11th Bn EYR.I will let you know the outcome and perhaps a copy of the letter when I`ve mastered the technique.You have now given me hope of a result.Let`s see and I will let you know by PM.

Regards,

George.