Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Cyclist Corps ACC

montbrehain

Up in the loft again last night ! the mrs insistance that "you have to get rid of some of that junk !!" did,nt work much ?? but whilst sorting through I came across this, Which I thought may be of interest ? If even for only future referance. "MO" :)

post-13272-1171877174.jpg

Hi MO

Thanks for the illustration.

I have a 1915 dated silver king lamp, and until now have not been able to find a photo or illustration with it shown on a bike.

So thanks again. :)

Jonathan

Hello Jonathon, Is your silver king like this one ? Army Silver kings have a plate that says PETROLEUM on them. But they definetly DO NOT USE PETROL but parrafin. A mate of mine is interested in old bikes and uses those old style lamps and has put a bit of research in to them. I dont have an original Army Bike , but I do have a repro ? Me and my mates made 20!!! of them, but thats a different story ? I have been trying to find anything I can on the ANZAC cyclists ? And allthough its probably out there ? i have yet to find much . Any suggestions ? Best wishes "MO"

post-13272-1171962671.jpgpost-13272-1171962707.jpg

post-13272-1171962774.jpg

Hello Jonathon, Is your silver king like this one ? Army Silver kings have a plate that says PETROLEUM on them. But they definetly DO NOT USE PETROL but parrafin. A mate of mine is interested in old bikes and uses those old style lamps and has put a bit of research in to them. I dont have an original Army Bike , but I do have a repro ? Me and my mates made 20!!! of them, but thats a different story ? I have been trying to find anything I can on the ANZAC cyclists ? And allthough its probably out there ? i have yet to find much . Any suggestions ? Best wishes "MO"

Hi MO,

The only thing that springs to mind at the moment, is the official History of the Cyclist Corps, I do not no of a reprint of this, but it turns up occasionally.

I have an Interest in Signals, the cycles were used by dispatch riders.

I only have the lamp the same as yours.

A army cycle would be very nice nice to own, and use.

A friend of mine used to own a 2nd Lieu tunic of N.ZC.C, I think Peter Jackson owns it now.

It was a very rare tunic.

Here is a picture of the Cyclist Battalion in France on 3rd of july 1918 being inspected by the N.Z Prime Minister

Jonathan

post-6628-1171967266.jpg

As promised , heres the pics of my repro "Great War" bike. Dont get ridden often as you can see. Ah well summers coming ....

post-13272-1172073934.jpg post-13272-1172074083.jpg

post-13272-1172074036.jpg

Could it be that the word 'petroleum' on the paraffin lamp refers to the paraffin itself, which was, after all, as much a derivative of crude petroleum as the substance that is now called 'petrol' in much of the English-speaking world. (Apparantly, the term 'petrol' did not become a generic term for what North Americans called 'gasoline' until the 1930s. Before then, it was the tradename for a particular brand of what was then called 'motor spirit'.)

Could it be that the word 'petroleum' on the paraffin lamp refers to the paraffin itself, which was, after all, as much a derivative of crude petroleum as the substance that is now called 'petrol' in much of the English-speaking world. (Apparantly, the term 'petrol' did not become a generic term for what North Americans called 'gasoline' until the 1930s. Before then, it was the tradename for a particular brand of what was then called 'motor spirit'.)

Petrol was the term used in the AB412 logbook for Mechanical Transport vehicles. Some examples;

'petrol tank capacity'

'Weekly petrol account'

'Petrol received.Gallons'

Chris Henschke

A mate of mine is interested in old bikes and uses those old style lamps and has put a bit of research in to them.

Hello, I am that mate ;)

I've been using a Lucas Petroleum on my work hack over winter, a great piece of engineering.

As for what the Army used in them, I quote from the handbook of Military Cycles 1911 -

"Lamp :-

The lamp is designed to burn paraffin. No other oil must be used. The reservoir is packed with cotton wool to absorb the paraffin so as to prevent it being spilt. There should be no free oil to overflow in case the cycle is laid on the ground. The wick of this type of lamp should never be turned up high, and spare wickes should be thoroughly dried before using. To ensure good results the lamp must be kept clean."

A Veteren Cycle Club ride in Windsor Great Park several years ago.

windsor.jpg

'petrol tank capacity'

'Weekly petrol account'

'Petrol received.Gallons'

Chris. You are quite right. I should have written 'the only generic term' rather than 'a generic term'.

It serves me right for writing late at night!

Thanks for that info Jack , And congrats on the first post :) . hopefully will hear more from you ? Bye the way whos the handsome one in the pic, 3rd from back :D

• 1 year later...

A mate knowing of my interest sent me this pic. It was taken in the 20s but is a good example of the Army bike on which ours was modelled "MO"

bikebiggreatwar.jpg

There is also a folding version (no I do not mean the bow tubed Para bike of WW2) of the standard frame military cycle, now quite rare it has a large brass handle to unscrew the two portions of the frame.

I will dig out a photo if anyone is interested.

Gareth

Here is a photo of the East Surreys. Of particular interest is the fact that the rifles are Japanese Arisakas.

Regards

TonyE

• 2 months later...
There is also a folding version (no I do not mean the bow tubed Para bike of WW2) of the standard frame military cycle, now quite rare it has a large brass handle to unscrew the two portions of the frame.

I will dig out a photo if anyone is interested.

Gareth

Yes, would be interested please.

:)

• 1 year later...

Hello mountbrehain,

I saw your picture of the ACC bicycle. I have an ancestor that was in the ACC also. Would love a clear picture for my records but is a little blurry when i copy and paste. Could you email me a copy please - lukerwhite@hotmail.co.uk

Luke