Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone needing help searching a trench?

Joan and Terry

Hello Joan

I have aliitle more info on the trench I'm trying to find. According to the curator at the KORBR Museum in Carlisle, Blood Alley was a German Sap that pushed out into No Man's Land from their front line towards British Trench F 11c to the left of Mansel Copse.

If you have a map showing this I'd be really grateful.

Harry

Hello Joan

I have aliitle more info on the trench I'm trying to find. According to the curator at the KORBR Museum in Carlisle, Blood Alley was a German Sap that pushed out into No Man's Land from their front line towards British Trench F 11c to the left of Mansel Copse.

If you have a map showing this I'd be really grateful.

Harry

Harry,

Sorry,but unable to help with Trench 11c,have sent you a pm.

Joan

Hello,

I am researching an action fought near Cuinchy in Nov 1915. The RE's exploded a mine and members of the 2nd Argyll's took the crater and defended it against a German attack. I am trying to find the location of the action and I hope that you can maybe help? The information I have is from the Battalion War Diary.

They were in a section of Trench called ''Z2 Section'', near a crater called ''Etna Crater'' which was South of the Etna Salient. The crater that was exploded was called Gibson Crater, after a Cpl Robert Gibson of the 2nd A&SH.

If any of these places are listed in the book, I would be very happy to hear of thier location.

Many thanks,

Stewart

Sorry for the delay in replying,I have found Etna Sap and Crater (Cambrin) at 36cNW1 La Bassee if that is of any use to you.

Joan

Dear Joan,

If possible I would like a map showing the following trenches on one page:

Bulls Road

Grease Trench

Stormy Trench

Switch Line

Fritz Folly

These are all in the Flers sector

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Pop

Sorry Pop,

All I have are map references,the book does not have many actual maps.

Joan

Sorry Pop,

All I have are map references,the book does not have many actual maps.

Joan

Thanks Joan

could only ask

Regards

Pop

• 8 months later...

Hi Jane

Did you get anywhere with whether Souchez II and Angres I and Angres II were trenches and there postion. I saw the previous map that showed the Steelback trench? I am assuming the others are relatively close, but where?

We have a copy of Rats Alley Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-1918If there are any members searching for a particular trench on the Western Front,I will be more than happy to give you the locality.

Joan

Hi Joan

12th-14th May 1915 about 1000yards in front of Ypres 7th Cav Brigade (1st & 2nd Life Guards and The Leicestershire (P.A.O) Yeomanry) on the Zonnebeck Road 1/2LG on the left and LY on the right (to the Railway line).

With the scant information see attached map, I haven't a map from 1915, this is a scan from Linesman.

John

post-1365-1198256756.jpg

With the scant information see attached map, I haven't a map from 1915, this is a scan from Linesman.

John

Hi John

Its just forward of Potisjze and just before Frenzenberg on the Zonnebeke Road.

• 2 months later...
We have a copy of Rats Alley Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-1918If there are any members searching for a particular trench on the Western Front,I will be more than happy to give you the locality.

Joan

Hello, Joan: I'm new to the Forum. Any information (esp map) on St. James Trench and connected trenches around Cambridge Road east of Ieper would be gratefully received. Thank you, Antony

Hi there,

Not sure if the offer still stands but would like information on area/trenches where my great uncle was killed 29/10/1916 whilst serving with the 5th Scottish Rifles. I believe they were attacking Hazy Trench and Boritstka Trench. I wouldnt mind a copy if anyone has one and if possible as i see trench maps forsale now and again what area/etc etc i should be looking for to get an original copy any help appreciated

regards

douglass

Any chance on identifying Wood Trench? A German position the Dorsets attacked on 6th July 1916. Said to be in front of Fricourt Wood

Hi Joan can you please help, i am trying to find trench maps 1/7 battalion DLI in or around Hooge 1915. any info would be a great help.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aussie Scott

Hi Joan.... I'm new to all this but am travelling to the Western Front in a couple of weeks. Do you have any info regarding the exact position of Stormy Trench, Grease trench & Shine Trench N/E Guedecourt February 1917? Hope you can help, Scott

Joan

Guest Aussie Scott

Joan

Hi Joan,

Do you have any info on "Stormy Trench" near Guedencourt in about February 1917?

I'm new to all this and not sure if this is the way to reply to people's posts... fingers crossed.

regards,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for 'Buzzard' trench which I believe was in the Wancourt area.

Specifically looking for map around the date 23/4/17.

Any info / map is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Stormy trench ...top right of the map

Tom

post-5284-1208779286.jpg

David, Buzzard trench bottom right near The Nest

Tom

post-5284-1208780630.jpg

David I forgot to mention the map above is from 25/4/18 it was the only map I could find that showed it

Tom

Antony, St james's trench east of Ypres with surrounding trenches

Tom

post-5284-1208783483.jpg