Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone needing help searching a trench?

Joan and Terry

We have a copy of Rats Alley Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-1918If there are any members searching for a particular trench on the Western Front,I will be more than happy to give you the locality.

Joan

We have a copy of Rats Alley Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-1918If there are any members searching for a particular trench on the Western Front,I will be more than happy to give you the locality.

Joan

Hi,

I am looking into the men from my village, one of whom died with 1st Bttn South Staffs in October 1917, two trenches are referred to in the war diary, they are:

JOLTING HOUSE TRENCH and

JETTY TRENCH.

Any help will be greatly received.

Jon

Battle of Messines June 1917 - Old French Trench if you would be so kind. Thanks.

Battle of Messines June 1917 - Old French Trench if you would be so kind. Thanks.

Dave.

post-357-1171916102.jpg

JOLTING HOUSE TRENCH and

JETTY TRENCH.

Dave.

post-357-1171918108.jpg

Hi all,

I raised this query a couple of years ago and even the huge collective intellectual capacity of the forum wasn't enough to solve it.

Maybe this time around...

Has anyone ever heard of Armidale Trench at/near Pozieres? It's a communication trench dug by the Aussies in 1916. Failing that, is there a record of a number of trenches being named after Australian towns in the Pozieres area?

My best guess on the location would be either east of the town (trenches dug by Aussies after taking the town in July-August 1916) or in between Pozieres and Mouquet Farm. Happy to be corrected, however.

I have a trench sign I acquired at an estate sale that says 'Armidale CT' on the front and 'Local trench sign, Pozieres, AIF 1916' on the back (hand written of course).

All help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat

Hi all,

I raised this query a couple of years ago and even the huge collective intellectual capacity of the forum wasn't enough to solve it.

Has anyone ever heard of Armidale Trench at/near Pozieres? It's a communication trench dug by the Aussies in 1916. Failing that, is there a record of a number of trenches being named after Australian towns in the Pozieres area?

My best guess on the location would be either east of the town (trenches dug by Aussies after taking the town in July-August 1916) or in between Pozieres and Mouquet Farm. Happy to be corrected, however.

I have a trench sign I acquired at an estate sale that says 'Armidale CT' on the front and 'Local trench sign, Pozieres, AIF 1916' on the back (hand written of course).

All help much appreciated.

All I can find is Armidale Communication Trench 1918 62dSE1(Hamel-Vaire Wood) Map Reference P20c,d

hope this is of some help

Joan

Cheers,

Mat

Croonaert,

Thank you

Jon (not Dave)

Wasn't calling you "Dave", Jon.

Dave's my name - I was signing off the post, it just happened that the scan appeared below the writing instead of vice-versa! :D

Dave.

(PS - Squirrel - as above - my name's "Dave", not "Joan"! :P )

Mat.

I've just gone through all my maps of this particular area (and therefore gone through 100's of trenchnames!) but drawn a blank I'm afraid. However, many, many trenches are unnamed on all the versions I've had access to.

I believe Chasseaud only used the (British) regular series trenchmaps to make his gazetteer of trench names and so this listing is (heavily) incomplete - it would very likely be possible to make another list of at least the same length of the names missing from his listing (and another again of those whose names changed). I'm not knocking the guy - what he's done is a hell of an undertaking - I just want to get the point across that his list doesn't contain anything like all the trench names..

I'll see if I can find a reference to Armidale Trench via other sources and possibly be able to name up one of the unnamed ones for you.

Dave

Wasn't calling you "Dave", Jon.

Dave's my name - I was signing off the post, it just happened that the scan appeared below the writing instead of vice-versa! :D

Dave.

(PS - Squirrel - as above - my name's "Dave", not "Joan"! :P )

No worries, at weekends I like to be called Loretta!

Joan, thanks for this, much appreciated.

You thanked the wrong member ;) ,all I can do is give you the map reference for Old French Trench,so as to earn a little of the thanks.

Old French Trench 28SW2 Wytschaete 01b,c,d,2a

Joan,you can call me anything. :)

"All I can find is Armidale Communication Trench 1918 62dSE1(Hamel-Vaire Wood) Map Reference P20c,d

hope this is of some help

Joan"

Hi Joan,

Hamel you say? I think you might have cracked it! Croonaert (or anyone else for that matter) do you have map 62dSE1(Hamel-Vaire Wood)?

Cheers,

Mat

This is the from a map that covers Hamel P20c.d. Map correct to 20-6-18.

After 4 July, the Front line was just on the Eastern edge of the image.

Chris Henschke

post-671-1172001859.jpg

Joan

"Halifax" Brighouse and Hull trenches are mentioned in Bales 4th DOW( West Riding Regiment) History

Around the cordonnerie Sector can you find any reference?

Thanks

Ady

Joantel,

Would appreciate any reference, in particular maps or pictures, to Bull's Trench in the Flers Sector, 1916.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Pop

I would appreciate a map of Souchez II, Angres I, Angres II, Steelback & Rotten Row.

These trenches would all be close together. I have come across another Rotten Row but these would be near the towns of Souchez & Angres I assume.

Thanks

Jane

Joan,

This is very kind of you. I havent seen the book and dont want to even think of buying until have done so.

Do you have any of the following:

1. Trenches created by the South AFricans at Marrieres Wood end of March 1918???? They used old trenches, made new ones and eventually surrendered.

2. At Warlencourt - October 1916 - there was a mound called the "pimple" - there was pimple alley, snag trench and the tail. My understanding is that there was a little place called " the nose". It seems to be where the tail joined snag. Am I right?

thanks for any help.

Kathie

I would appreciate a map of Souchez II, Angres I, Angres II, Steelback & Rotten Row.

Top of scan - Souchez has been included to help with your bearings. (Are you sure that Souchez II, and Angres I & II aren't actually defence lines rather than individual trench names?)

Dave

post-357-1172052552.jpg

Joantel,

Would appreciate any reference, in particular maps or pictures, to Bull's Trench in the Flers Sector, 1916.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Pop

There's a trench named "Bull's Road" east of Flers. I take it this is the one you mean?

Dave

post-357-1172053199.jpg

My apologies to Joan, I seem to have kidnapped this thread! :ph34r:

I won't be posting any more trenchmap extracts on this thread from this point on, as there are other places where I've offered to post scans on "trench map look-up" type threads.

(Just for info, by the way, "Rats Alley" contains a gazetteer of trench map-references and not actual extracts)

Over to you Joan!

Dave :D

Any help in locating these couple of trenches would be appriciated.

1. Shrapnel trench. This was a front line trench east of Arras. the trench was being shelled (during 2nd Scarpe, April 1917) from Bois-de-Sars and Boiry-Notre-Dame, and shot at from Bois-de-Vert which i think is a nearby wood. I think it is just west of Monchy.

2.Palz, Beyreuth or Potsdam trench. All in the Sailly sector near Combles. Feb 1917.

Both from actions mentioned in the 2RF diary of which my GGF was a part. Many thanks to anyone who can help as I've been trying to find these for some time now without success.