Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

regiment numbers

richard2509

just been on the national archives website inputting info into medal card index about one of my relatives killed in the great war and i got 3 references on the same person. specifically three different regiment numbers . ive always known one ofthem but the other two are new to me. do they refer to other regiments and can anyone translate them into units?

We need to know who he is...

Steve.

We need to know who he is...

Steve.

think i may have made a mistake . the name i input was william h rhodes northumberland fusiliers . the computer threw up 3 william h rhodes of that unit with 3 different regiment numbers . they are 75230 65756 40464 the last one is the one ive always known. i presumed it was the same person as i thought it unlikely there were 3 william h rhodes in that particular unit. can anyone verify it or tell me how to do it? the first two numbers were not casualties as i cant find them on the cwgc site

Looks to me as though 40464 is your man. The others just happen to have the same Christian name and second Initial and are nothing to do with him.

If he served in other units, it would be indicated on his card, which it is not.

Hope this helps.

Paul J.