Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Royal Irish Rifles - Buttevant

IanR

• 7 months later...

Dear Ian My father's cousin James Coid was also in the 7th battalion of RIR and was killed on 29th April 1916 do you have any information orr photographs regarding him. Thank you

Hello

Yes I do. During this general period the Battalion was in the Loos sector of the Front, rotating between front line, brigade reserve and divisional reserve duties. They had first gone into the trenches at the end of 1915. For the first three months they spent time between the trenches and the rear area carrying out further training. By April however the training was over and the were fully into the routine of trench life.

On 2 April specifically, they were in trenches in front of Hulluch. The War Diar doesn't note any deaths on that that day, but then it is very vague generally on casulaties.

I hope this helps. My interest specifically is on a contingent of Jerseymen who served as Company D (the Jersey Company) of 7th RIR. However, in researching and writing their history, I have obviously covered much of that of the Battalion. DOn't hesitate to contact me if you want anything more.

Ian

• 2 months later...

He appears in Soldiers Died in the Great War data for 7th R Irish Rifles per below - contact http://www.infromthecold.org/ to get him added to War graves Commission records

TYNDALL Samuel

Born Dublin

Enlisted Dublin

Serial # 7992

Rifleman KIA F & F 8/16/1917

RIR 7th Bn 49th Bde 16th (Irish) Division

Born in Dublin, enisted in Dublin.Killed in action.

TYNDAL, SAMUEL

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/08/1917

Service No: 7992

Additional information: Son of Samuel and Julia Tyndal. Born in Dublin.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. H. 17.

Cemetery: PERTH CEMETERY (CHINA WALL)

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps he is mentioned on one of the memorial's like the RIR soldier I was researching, his name is on the Loos memorial and he has no grave.

Can anyone help? Family research has thrown up Samuel Tyndall, whose Medal Card says KIA. Further research says he died August 1917 in France. He was a Private with 7th Bn RIR. The conundrum is that there is no record of him on the Commonwealth War Graves site, which, I understand is almost unheard of. Is there a story here? Thanks in hope.

• 8 years later...

Hello all -

I just came across this thread while researching this battalion's encounter with Kgl. Sächs. 9. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 133 (IR 133) on 8th March 1917. The regiment was from the Saxon mining - and since 1904, car-building - town of Zwickau (my great-grandfather's birthplace), and is best known to the English-speaking world for its involvement in the 1914 Christmas Truce.

Unfortunately the German sources here are quite poor, as the relevant war diaries are lost and the regimental history only published in 1969. Its author, then-Leutnant Johannes Niemann (famously interviewed about Christmas 1914 on the BBC in 1968) had also transferred to IR 392 in early September 1916 and thus never served with IR 133 on the Wytschaete front.

What we do have is a reference in the Saxon quasi-official history of the war Sachsen in Grosser Zeit to a raid by a Stosstrupp of IR 133 on the night of 8th-9th March 1917, which bagged thirty prisoners and gained an identification of 16th (Irish) Division. After checking British war diaries I determined that twenty-five of these must have come from 7th Royal Irish RIfles. Would anyone knowledgeable on this battalion be able to identify those involved on the Irish side (see thread linked below)? I'd also be greatly obliged if someone could tell me what Cyril Fall's regimental history has to say about this event; sadly the links further up this thread have succumbed to link rot.

Providentiae Memor!

Andrew Lucas