Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Camp R9, Mesopotamia

John_Hartley

Any thoughts as to a rough location?

The war diary of 72nd Field Company, RE, puts the camp as their base in January 1917. The Coy. was part of 13th Div. so I'm guessing it was somewhere not to far away from Kut.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,

I am also wanting to know the answer to this! In the Battle Honours of the RE the 72nd is listed as 13 Division - Kut - 9 Jan 1917 - 24 Feb 1917.

Do you have the war diary entry for the 30th Janaury 1917 by any chance? I am trying to find out what happened on that day. It seam a number of men were killed around this date, so I dont believe the unit was in camp at that time.

Thanks,

Steve,

Hi John,

I am also wanting to know the answer to this! In the Battle Honours of the RE the 72nd is listed as 13 Division - Kut - 9 Jan 1917 - 24 Feb 1917.

Do you have the war diary entry for the 30th Janaury 1917 by any chance? I am trying to find out what happened on that day. It seam a number of men were killed around this date, so I dont believe the unit was in camp at that time.

Thanks,

Steve,

Don't know about fighting on 30th January unless you refer to operations to clear the Hai area south of the river which were undertaken by the 13th and 14th Divisions and and was completed by 6th February.

Kut recaptured on 24th February 1917.

Therafter 17th Division continued the advance upriver towards Baghdad under Maude so wouldn't have had the opportunity for a camp unless the 72nd was detached from 13th Division and stayed in Kut or across the river in the Liquorice Factory.

Ron

Battle Honours of the Royal Engineers lists the 72nd as being Tigris - 6 Jan - 22 Apr 1916. I assume this is the "river"?

The 72nd are incredibly famous for their work at Gallipoli, was their work in Mesopotamia of a similar nature? Were they bridging the Tigris?

The Royal Engineers museum do have notes on the 72nd. The reference number for that is 7704.03 - Notes on Operations in the Middle East 1916 - 19. There may be some clues there.

John...........what are the dates that the 72nd are listed as being situated in camp R9, any chance you could type up those entries from the diary?

Thanks,

Steve.