Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 18 Officer Cadet Battalion

punjab612

My grandfather was an instructor and latterly Adjutant for this OCB based at Prior Park, Bath.

I have a short booklet published when the unit was disbanded in February 1919. It lists all cadets gaining commissions through the battalion (1,543) by regiment into which they were commissioned as well as those still in training in Feb 1919 (387)

It also contains rolls of honour, and honours won by officers commisioned there. The are several b/w photos of the opulent surroundings in which they lived.

Lookups offered but would probably need regiment, no service numbers are given for those being commisioned from the ranks.

• 3 months later...

Hello 'punjab612',

Thanks for the offer of lookups re: 18 Officer Cadet Battalion. I would be most grateful if you could have a look to see if there is any mention of Charles Henry McCaughey, Durham Light Infantry, commissioned April - May, 1918. Thanks again.

Regards

Ron

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the link, I knew it was early 1918 but couldn't think just when. How long would he have been at the Officer Cadet Battalion, 6 months or a year ? Thanks again for your help, the drinks are piling up now !

Regards

Ron

any mention of Charles Henry McCaughey, Durham Light Infantry, commissioned April - May, 1918. Thanks again.

Ron

Hi Ron

There are two mentions of your man

1. In list of cadets commissioned from DLI

post-8000-1180795103.jpg

2. In list of Wounded

post-8000-1180795143.jpg

Hope these are of use to you. If you would like some pictures of and general info about No 18 OCB, PM me with your e-mail and I will send them. Might be tomorrow before I can pull them together though

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks very much for your replies to both my requests. I would be most grateful for any pictures or general information about No 18 OCB, I'll PM you with my e-mail address. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

One for me too, please, Peter.

Second Lieutenant Ewart Marlow

6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment.

- Born on 11th August 1895 at Desborough, near Kettering, Northamptonshire.

- Son of Jesse Marlow, Secretary at Desborough Co-Op Society, and Mrs Ann Marlow.

- Educated at Wellingborough Grammar School.

- An assistant iron-ore mine and estate manager prior to enlistment.

- Resident at "Iseleigh", Desborough during the war

- Enlisted on 29th November 1915 and posted as a Private, Reg. No. 3056, to 3/1st Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars.

- Posted as Private, Reg. No. 42095, to "A" Squadron, 5th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry at Aliwal Barracks, Tidworth on 8th February 1917.

- Applied for a commission in the cavalry on 19th February 1917, but not succesful.

- Renumbered with Royal Bucks Hussars number H/206370 in 1917.

- Admitted to hospital with mumps between 26th March and 10th April 1917.

- Applied for a commission in the Infantry on 11th September 1917.

- Joined No. 18 Officer Cadet Battalion at Bath on 8th February 1918.

- Trained as a Cadet and commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on 26th June 1918.

- Posted to 3rd (Reserve) Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment.

- Posted to 6th (Service) Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on ..............

- Won Military Cross at Ronssoy between 18th and 21st September 1918 for leadership of two platoons during attack, taking of prisoners and consolidation of positions.

- Severely wounded in the left arm and left shoulder by a splinter from a trench mortar round that also fractured the left scapula at Vendhuille on 29th September 1918.

- Evacuated to England via Le Havre and Southampton on 7th October 1918, landing on 8th October 1918.

- Admitted to 2nd Southern General Hospital on 8th October 1918.

- Posted to 3rd (Reserve) Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment in February 1919.

- Passed fit for General Service at a Medical Board on 2nd June 1919.

- Relinquished commission on completion of service as a Second Lieutenant on 1st September 1921.

Military Cross:

London Gazette - 8th March 1919 and 4th October 1919

"For marked gallantry and able leadership during operations 18th to 22nd September, 1918, near Ronssoy. On the evening of 21st September he handled two platoons with such skill that the operation was a great success. His quickness in dealing with the situation after the capture of 48 prisoners, and the rapid consolidation contributed very largely towards enabling this post to stand out against the enemy's immediate counterattack."

Probably, a "just for the record", as I have a fair bit on him, already...

I would be interested in any other Northamptonshire Regiment cadets that passed through No. 18 OCB.

The above also demonstrates that 4 and a half months is pretty accurate!

Steve.

Hello Peter,

Thanks very much for your replies and for the pictures and information about No 18 OCB, it is much appreciated. I would be most grateful if you could have a look to see if there were any men from the West Riding (Duke of Wellington's) Regiment and the West Yorkshire Regiment who received their Officer Training at 18 OCB. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

I would be most grateful if you could have a look to see if there were any men from the West Riding (Duke of Wellington's) Regiment and the West Yorkshire Regiment who received their Officer Training at 18 OCB.

Ron,

The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

Cadet Listing

post-8000-1180958965.jpg

Honours gained since leaving Battalion

None listed

Roll of Honour:

Killed in Action:

2/Lt H. M. Marsden

Died of Wounds:

2/Lt W. R. Best

2/Lt S Johnson 5th Bn

Wounded:

2/Lt H Wiles

2/Lt T. G. Kite

There is also a least one staff officer listed in the extracts I e-mailed yesterday

Peter

When was the unit formed? Stephen

Formed on 26th November 1916 and disbanded on 20th February 1919

Peter

I would be most grateful if you could have a look to see if there were any men from the West Riding (Duke of Wellington's) Regiment and the West Yorkshire Regiment who received their Officer Training at 18 OCB. Ron

Ron,

The Prince of Wales Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)

Cadet Listing

post-8000-1180964147.jpg

Honours gained since leaving Battalion

None listed

Roll of Honour:

Killed in Action:

2/Lt F G Baker

2/Lt F Drake

Died of Wounds:

2/Lt S. T. Swaby

Wounded:

2/Lt. C. R. Firth 5th Bn

2/Lt. L. Metcalfe

Forum member elliot#1 has been enquiring about his Gt Gt Uncle 2/Lt L Metcalfe, might be worth contacting him for further info.

Peter

One for me too, please, Peter.

Second Lieutenant Ewart Marlow

6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment.

Steve.

Steve

Two mentions of your man

1. Honours Gained by Officers of the Staff and Cadets after leaving the Battalion

2/Lt. E Marlow MC The Northamptonshire Regiment

2. List of Cadets

The Northamptonshire Regiment 2/Lt E Marlow

He may well have known my Grandfather Captain George Thorneycroft who an Adjutant and Officer Instructor of the Battalion at that time.

Peter.

Hello Peter,

Thanks very much for the lookups regarding The West Riding & West Yorkshire Regiments. Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Peter,

Thanks for posting the West Yorks listings for Ron.

Just as an aside, do you know what happened to the 387 cadets still training when the war ended?

Did they complete the course and get commissioned or was the training terminated?

Thanks,

Nigel

Just as an aside, do you know what happened to the 387 cadets still training when the war ended?

Did they complete the course and get commissioned or was the training terminated?

Nigel,

The short answer is not a clue!. The publication merely lsits those in training at 11/11/1918 by Company (of the OCB) with no mention of their background etc. I suppose it should be possible to trace some of those with least common names through LG or service records etc.(Another item on my todo list) Unless that is some kind pal knows the answer!

Peter

Am I right in thinking these are all infantry commissions?

I may have a few to check but for now I suppose none are into 14th or 20th hussars or 5th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry?

Am I right in thinking these are all infantry commissions?

Correct, they are all infantry commissions.

Peter

Nigel,

The short answer is not a clue!

That's me told then eh, Peter? :D

Thanks

Nigel

That's me told then eh, Peter? :D

Nigel,

A slightly more constructive answer this time! Have managed to track doen a few of the cadets through the LG and found

"The undermentioned Cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts, under the provisions of the Royal Warrant dated 30the Dec 1918, promulgated in Army Order 42 of 1919"

I will start a new thread to see if any pals are aware of this Order.

It seems therefore they were given temporary commisions what happened after that though I have yet to discover.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Peter,

I'm sorry for my tardy reply to your last post, I have missed it somehow until now.

I now have a request for you if that's ok?

Is there any mention of a Cadet J Ross, or a Cadet W Mitchell. I have no idea if they were 18 OC Bn men, or which regiments they were destined for, but their names appear on my local roll of service.

Thanks,

Nigel

Is there any mention of a Cadet J Ross, or a Cadet W Mitchell. I have no idea if they were 18 OC Bn men, or which regiments they were destined for, but their names appear on my local roll of service.

Nigel

Have drawn a complete blank on Ross but there is a 2/Lt W R Mitchell serving as a Cadet in 'C' Coy as at 11/11/18. As he is still a cadet there is no mention of the unit he was presumably commissioned into after this date.

Peter