Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Jimmy the donkey

alanclimb

I remember seeing this grave in the park when I was a kid, I came across it in the tree by accident and thought that I had found a secret that no one knew about, Has anyone got any info about jimmy, he was supposed to be quite a caracter. I know that a couple of years ago they repaired the grave and re dedicated it, Anyone know more

Thanks

Alan.

Sorry for posting so much, but I have only just found this site and it is a goldmine of knowledge

Any pics would be great

Alan

Don't aplogise that whats the forum's for. You are also informing others by posting.

Try these:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/ViewArt...rticleID=422221

http://www.carstairs.org.uk/cams/jimmy.htm

Dave

hey ,hey ,hey..what's this...did the grave get sorted out or not..any one know...??

I see the news item was from 2002 so a while ago...

if anyone does find out i'd be interested ..

Thanks Andy

Yes it did. full ceromony lots of people and important dignitaries, unfortunately I missed it .But did see the grave a week later, all clean re bedded and new plaque. Will look great when the flowers grow. A remarkable animal that made the lads in the trenches smile, not something that they did a lot of. I would love to know more about him.

He was apparently the only decorated donkey in the world

Alan

The gravestone was sent away to be cleaned and the lettering retouched by a stonemason.

It cost £250 and was paid for by a grant from the Friends of War Memorials.

Another interesting connection:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/ViewArt...rticleID=421405

Dave

From a newspaper clipping we have in Jimmy's 'Personnel File' :) it seems that his grave was refurbished sometime in September 2003. There was a big ceremony held on Sunday the 21st where some old Cameronians laid wreaths at his new grave.

I have before and after shots of the grave if anyone wants them - but there a bit big for on here.

Barrie

I went along to Central Park in Peterborough today and the memorial is not back, just a sign from the Park Warden saying "Taken away temporaily for refurbishment". So its not back yet.

Mark

From a newspaper clipping we have in Jimmy's 'Personnel File' :) it seems that his grave was refurbished sometime in September 2003. There was a big ceremony held on Sunday the 21st where some old Cameronians laid wreaths at his new grave.

I have before and after shots of the grave if anyone wants them - but there a bit big for on here.

Barrie

well that is very odd. I am sure that it was all done and everything. I wonder if there was some fault with it and it has had to be taken away again.

Very odd. Has anyone else any info about this or jimmy's life

Alan

Aparently his mother was an injured german donkey and the troops helped deliver jimmy and he beacame their unofficial mascot. He used to greet the returning soldiers by lifting his leg in salute, It must have given the lads a little light relief from the misery.

Alan

first time Ive heard of him

He was well know after the war in the peterborough area, he was bought by the RSPCA to help promote collection days etc, he was treated very well and given a field to live in when he retired, he lived to be very old. He was decorated though I don't know what award he was given.

Information about him is thin but there must be a lot more out there.

Alan

Sorry Alan,

I didn't get a chance to send the stuff to you but i'll try and forward it on when i'm back in the office on Monday. There doesn't seem to be a mention of Jimmy in the 1st Bn war diary for some reason :(

Barrie

Thanks Barrie

If the infor that you have about jimmy is to big for here I would love to have anything in his file. you could email it to me if you can, PM me and I'll give you my email.

Alan

• 1 year later...

Mark - thanks for posting the photos.

Has anybody got to the bottom of the military decoration made to Jimmy?

His three overseas stripes?

Steve.

His three overseas stripes?

Steve, he was a donkey, not a zebra ... :D

I'm not normally susceptible to sentimental animal stories, but this one is the exception to the rule – even allowing for the highly unlikely claim that his mother was a German pack mule.

That's three overseas stripes on his forehead..... I'm not imagining things.... Am I.... again?

Steve.

That's three overseas stripes on his forehead

and his Donkey Commemoration Medal :blush: