Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fact in Fiction?

swerve

Hi All

A recent thread resulted in an excuse to peruse old comics and I was particularly interested in couple of stories - unfortuneatly the thread didn't provide any further info - I've provided the background to these tales in the hope that someone may have a little more detail / accuracy? As a new member I apologise in advance if this breaches any protocol!

L/Sgt Walter Simpson of Lincs Regt awarded VC for his part in a bridge capture on the River Cojeul near Etaing 2/9/1918. Story states that his real name was Arthur Evans but did not give further detail. Quick look on forum produced this old thread, [link no longer working]

Story of Private Harold Fleming won MM on Easter Monday 8/4/1917 at Vimy Ridge. Returned home to Vancouver after the war only to return and serve as Mech. Quartermaster-Sgt in WW2 - served alongside his son Ray a Sgt Tank-Commander who won his own MM in Holland in Sept 1944.

Major EA Wood later Brigadier-General, famous for carrying a broken lance as a form of walking-stick ? - his service saw him command the 6th Batt. of Shrops. Light-Infantry - won the DSO with 3 bars and died aged 100 in 1967.

Regards

Sean

Re Maj EA Wood

strongly suggest that you PM Annette Burgoyne (forum member 6th Shropshires)

Stephen

Hi Sean

I got an email saying you have sent a PM titled E A Wood, to my old user name but I no-longer use that one and can't remember the password, so can't see the PM. What would you like to know about Brigadier Wood.

Annette

Hi Annette

The story of Brigadier Wood was featured on an early 70's Victor Comic I was reading. It was very "broad-brush" but I got the impression that there would be a lot of interesting info in the detail.

Do the bare facts I posted stack up? there was also no explanation of how his awards were won.

Anything you could offer would be welcomed - please feel free to direct me to existing sources I don't want you to have to turn biographer!

Regards

Sean

Hi All

A recent thread resulted in an excuse to peruse old comics and I was particularly interested in couple of stories - unfortuneatly the thread didn't provide any further info - I've provided the background to these tales in the hope that someone may have a little more detail / accuracy? As a new member I apologise in advance if this breaches any protocol!

L/Sgt Walter Simpson of Lincs Regt awarded VC for his part in a bridge capture on the River Cojeul near Etaing 2/9/1918. Story states that his real name was Arthur Evans but did not give further detail. Quick look on forum produced this old thread,

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...?showtopic=3629

Story of Private Harold Fleming won MM on Easter Monday 8/4/1917 at Vimy Ridge. Returned home to Vancouver after the war only to return and serve as Mech. Quartermaster-Sgt in WW2 - served alongside his son Ray a Sgt Tank-Commander who won his own MM in Holland in Sept 1944.

Major EA Wood later Brigadier-General, famous for carrying a broken lance as a form of walking-stick ? - his service saw him command the 6th Batt. of Shrops. Light-Infantry - won the DSO with 3 bars and died aged 100 in 1967.

Regards

Sean

Hi All

L/Sgt Walter Simpson of Lincs Regt awarded VC for his part in a bridge capture on the River Cojeul near Etaing 2/9/1918. Story states that his real name was Arthur Evans but did not give further detail. Quick look on forum produced this old thread,

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...?showtopic=3629

Regards

Sean

hi sean cullen

saw your message ref water simpson, real name arthur evans, vc and dcm. i am researching both his early life and service years and i am getting very confused. what was the link you mentioned. i tried it but the web page was unavailable.

regards

jim murphy

hi sean cullen

saw your message ref water simpson, real name arthur evans, vc and dcm. i am researching both his early life and service years and i am getting very confused. what was the link you mentioned. i tried it but the web page was unavailable.

regards

jim murphy

Hi Jim

Not certain why link to thread doesn't work - I see that you have managed to find it anyway - good luck with the search, I'd be curious to know the reason for name change - but equally I feel that if this guy didn't want the reason known why should I pe privvy to it? - don't know if I've explained that too well! - I think I would want the undoubtably brave actions of this fella to stand alone and not to have them "tainted" by any possible issues with his past - I'm too sensitive by half - obviously there may be a 101 reason as to the name change and it may be nothing contentious - how far have you got in your research?

Sean

Hi Sean

I do not have much time at moment, but the man was a nutter, and before anyone starts, I mean that with affection, he was one of the best officers that served in the Shropshire.

He started the war as a Major and on command of "A" Company, 6th K.S.L.I., which land in F/F on 21st-22nd July 1915. He took Command of the Batt. on 6/10/15.

I'll give you more on his awards, once I have time to type up info.

Annette

Thanks Annette!

I got the impression that he was a bit of an eccentric / "nutter" - you say tomato... :D

It was also clear he was a capable officer - look forward to hearing morewhen you have the chance.

Regards

Sean