Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Walk along the railway line

Kathie

I read somewhere that as walk - on duckboards I think - is being constructed from Tyne Cot to the railway line and then along the railway line going to Zonnebeeke.

Has it been constructed??? Has anyone walked it? How long does it take?

Kathie

Hi

Last year at November we walked from the Ariane, up to Tyne Cot using the old railway line, now cycle track, or road where it is no longer railway line.

It's now a cycle path where it leaves the road, and puts you very close to the old entrance of Tyne Cot Cemetery where the coachs are no longer allowed.

Its been done very well with several excellent orientation tables, with photos of 1914-1918 illustrating where you are, then and now, such as at one at a railway crossing, two bunkers etc. (These where north of Zonnebeke Square)

Can't say how long it takes to walk, we walked up in the morning (after having bought provisions in the morning), so left say 10.00 am, stopped off several times, for cemetery visits, check features on old maps, etc, and had lunch in Zonnebeke square, around 12.30. Finished the walked up to Tyne Cot, did our business in the Cemetery, went back to, and around Zonnebecke museum, then caught a nice clean bus back to Ypres and the Ariane.

Didn't see any duckboards, but we did have to navigate around a large muddy building site, but where wearing walking boots.

It was a great walk and makes you appreciate how close Tyne Cot is to Ypres, also the vista that day was great for photos.

I can recommend it. It should be on the cycle route brochure in the information centre at the cloth hall, email them, they've got a got website.

Hope this helps, pm if you have more questions

Mart

Sounds a great route, how far do you think it is ?

Also, can you post a copy of the route on this site ?

Mick D

Hi Mike

I will attempt to trace the route on a map, and figure out the distance. It will take a little time, got to find a online map or scan one.

It was a great route, and doing Zonnebeke Museum, followed by bus just complemented the walk and Tyne Cot - set one up for a steak and Triple Karmellite in Den Anchor....(after the gate of course)

Regards

Mart

Hi Mike

I've emailed the cloth hall for a copy of the Westhok cycle map, it will have an up todate roaf layout.

When that arrives - Paint...

Regards

Mart

PS Whats your bike, I think you might need one with fatter tyres for this route!

Hi Mike

I've emailed the cloth hall for a copy of the Westhok cycle map, it will have an up todate roaf layout.

When that arrives - Paint...

Regards

Mart

PS Whats your bike, I think you might need one with fatter tyres for this route!

:D

It sounds a good route. I have crossed it a few times when cycling but never doen it. May give it a try in April.

We have found that the Ariane bikes get you anywhere. Although when I take me mountain bike, I only use one gear :rolleyes:

stevem

Can anybody tell me where this railway ran to, why & when was it closed

My thanks

Chris

Mart,

the bike on my picture is a carbon fibre giant TCR with carbon fibre everything else ! I used it to compete in triathlons, but for various reasons I'm backing out of the sport into mountain biking.

I am due to get a new one this weekend but would use a hire one from the Ariane, as the countryside around Ypres is cyclists dream, not a 1 in 5 hill to be seen !

Mick D

Excuse me for butting in here people's :)

My grand father was with the 5th Australian Broad Gauge Railway Operating Company and I know he was in Belgium and France. Other than that I know nothing.

Is there anything that anyone can tell me about the Australian operations?

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Fremantle

Thanks so much for all information. I had forgotten about Ariane bicycles - I am a cyclist but my partner is not so dont know if we will cycle. However, I had planned to walk and would still like to do so. I will check Ypres Museum details for route.

What I wanted to do was

1. Park car at Dochy cemetery and then take path off the side and walk west/south back to Frezenberg along path to retrace as far as possible the 20th September 1917 - Beck, Borry and other farms and etc. Back to Dochy.

2. Then to Zonnebeeke - park car, musuem, maybe by then picnic lunch.

3. Walk along new (?) route to Tyne Cot and back.

4. Drive Vancouver Corner, and Vladslo.

5. Supper at Ariane.

6. Menin Gate.

My recollection of time is that all this is possible. But depends on how long the Zonnebeeke- Tyne Cot walk is.

Also we may need an hour for a nap ( having just spent fifteen hours cramped large bodies into back of plane). As you can see we dont ( unlike the Brit members of the Forum) have to diarise about six hours for lifting elbows in pubs on square.

Am I out of sync with timing here anyone?

No comments on being out of sync with what nb - ie not trying Belgian beer.

Kathie

Kathie,

Sounds like an active day.

I haven't done the new walk....but distance-wise, Zonnebeke to Tynecot should be achievable in approx 30 minutes walk each way I'd have thought.

Personally, I'd get your partner on a bike. It's a great compromise when time is limited and you're trying to cover reasonable distances. Far superior to driving....and it's gets you away quicker from the sometimes unfriendly farm dogs

I really like the Zonnebeke museum (need at least an hour there to do it justice, probably two). If the weather's nice, you can sit by the side of the fishing lake in the museum grounds and meditate on the moonscape and powdered rubble that once existed all around. Unless you want to bring your picnic lunch with you, there's a great deli on the other side of the road outside the museum park (and north about 100 metres) that'll make you up whatever you fancy. Really friendly, clean place.

Unless you're already booked into the Arianne....I'd give a thought to staying at Varlet Farm which is a great location for the area you're interested in....and also a great place to stay as we discovered for the first time last year. Clean, comfortable, good company. I think you can get bikes there. You can still supper in Ypres and do the Gate.

Sounds a great itinerary.

David

A place that allways makes me shiver when I walk through. The old railway track leading to the railway cutting and DEFY CROSSING. a few minutes forward from here and you are at the place where those pictures where taken showing Australian soldiers in "funk holes" with dead and wounded lying about. Literally Hell on earth.(AWM Neg E3864) taken on the 12th October 1917

post-13272-1172069716.jpg

Has anyone been able to find a link to a site which shows this route?

I've tried everything I can think of but can't find it!

Mick D

Has anyone been able to find a link to a site which shows this route?

I've tried everything I can think of but can't find it!

Mick D

I am not sure if there is one. I use the cycling map of the area. Ypres Info shop have them.

stevem

Hello

Sorry for the delay in my posting back, I emailed the Ieper information centre and they sent me the maps. They sent it to my work address, it was forwarded to a collegue, and I picked the post at the end of last week, so happy at getting maps...... and then it was just general tourist information.

So I went to google earth and tried adding a path, its my first try. The route is the spidery red line.

First map is scale with the route starting out at a certain round about come corner, we walked all the way in the morning from the Ariane as per an earlier post, had lunch Zonnebeke, then Tyne Cot, then back to the Museum, then back to the Ariane/ Cloth Hall by Bus. Leave the car in the car park at the Ariane and enjoy the walk.

Second map is the top bit, and new cycle path in larger scale.

Third map is 3D .....

Like the bike Mike D, I flouder around on a Specialized Endruo Pro, went out this morning for 1 hour 45 minutes, came back totally muddy. I have cycled around Ypres, I can recommend it, but don't do as I do, I had just tighted my spd pedals before going, tested the bike in the Ariane carpark, came to a standstill, couldn't unclip, no helmet etc, straight over, the Ariane carpark is hard!

Regards

Mart

IZ1.jpg

IZ2.jpg

IZ3.jpg

Thanks Mart,

I've left the rigid back world and parted with my carbon beauty, I now have an S works epic !

Anyway, the photos are really good, they show what I was trying to envisage, I'll plot the route onto my own maps. I have used the Ariane before for accommodation, but not their bikes, are they OK?

Also is the path surfaced and easy to follow ?

(PS done the same with my pedals, pride hurts doesn't it)

Mick D

Hi Mike

I havn't used the Ariane's bikes, I'm sure that they'll be very acceptable, but boys who ride around on loverly toys such as S works epics might be a little disappointed! Have you got 2 sets of wheels?

Path surfaces are good, many are tarmac, the old railway is still being surfaced with some form of chippings, but was muddy where work was happening. Also at junctions cars expect bikes.

Tomorrow I'm going to ring/email the Ieper information people, I saw a whole raft of new cycle tracks around Ieper and am sort of planning another cycle trip. Its so cycle friendly, also my normal group of muckers who I go with in November have requested for me to start planning a cycle ride for the retreat from Mons, I think they've seen too much Richard Holmes on horse at the Western Front, and think bikes are a bit like horses, I've said yes, aslong as we do it on two tandems. Though the wag amongst use keep requesting us to also re-enact the cyclists rushed to assist the Portugese Corps, the Portuguse histories talk about a gallent fight, the British regimental refers to them cycling up to the front dumping their bikes and rushing to the front lines, the Portugeuse running back, jumping on the bikes and legging it. Seeing the Portuguese Cemetery one cannot but feel sorry for the poorly equipped trained, etc, so far from home, being hit by one of the German Hammer blows in 1918 and legging it on bikes, leftby magic, I would have.

Have you got lights yet, my parents upgarded mine at Christmas to a HID from lumicycle, the best lights, and best customer service!. Also bought off ebay a new Camelbak (off ebay) , with 22l of storage, so you can see, I'm, itching to get cycling around Ieper.

Nows wheres my allen key to tighten my SPD pedals....

Regards

Mart

Thanks Mart,

I've left the rigid back world and parted with my carbon beauty, I now have an S works epic !

Anyway, the photos are really good, they show what I was trying to envisage, I'll plot the route onto my own maps. I have used the Ariane before for accommodation, but not their bikes, are they OK?

Also is the path surfaced and easy to follow ?

(PS done the same with my pedals, pride hurts doesn't it)

Mick D

The bikes are fine. I have used my MB and their 'sit up and beg'. I prefer theirs for the area as i can blend in with the natives :D You get panniers for Lunch, cameras etc. I use Fietsroute-Network van Groen West-Vlaanderen - The blue and orange ones. Also a good little one - Cycle Guide - The Ypres salient - from Ypres to Boezinghe - along the front line area - to St Eloi and back to ypres 35 ks.

stevem

Mart/ Steve,

Is it worth taking your own bikes as opposed to using the hire ones, don't suppose the Ariane would be too chuffed to have a filthy bike dragged through reception, whereas I could park theirs outside and let them worry about the theft of it !

Mick D

Mick

We locked up 4 mountain bikes in the garage at the corner of the car park, the garage with the overhang double doors, and were offered hose pipes etc to wash them.

Stevem has used the Ariane's bikes, they sound excellent.

You and I have the usual problems with expensive bikes, thieves, a friend of mines got an Ellsworth, he never stops worrying!

Regards

Mart

I would like to thank those kind members that sent me information on the ABGROC.

Bright Blessings

Sandra