Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help ID projectile please

Guest albrown

Can anyone provide a positive ID on this projectile it is post WW1 .I have been told it is a 3lb vickers tank round,but i have not been able to get any photos or drawings to confirm this.It Measures 45mm X 135mm in coroded condition so in good uncorroded condition it was probably 47mm which is the right size for a 3lber.The hotchkiss base fuze is stamped with dates of 1929 and 1932 ,also with the royal lab stamp and government broad arrow .There are no other marks ..Any further info on this round would be appreciated

That is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Prototype for a discarding sabot? Except of course it does not discard. That massive (for the caliber) drive band, base fuze on a small caliber. If I couldn't see it I would think some one was having you on! Oh, just a thought, what about the navy? a means to increase the velocity of an AP shell, it does have that chunky look that their stuff has.

Brings to mind the 3.67 Hotchkiss shell for a 14-pounder James rifle.

Mick

thanks for your responses guys keep them coming.I would like to add that there may have been a cap on this round to make its shape more streemlined,although none of the rounds have been found with one,

Allbrown

I would really like to know what it is, so could you post when /if you find out? Its been bothering me all afternoon. The 3 pdr inter war tank gun, had a flat top practice round.

Interesting cut away of what looks like a HEAT round. But the look of the round is it is not HE and a solid shot round, it obviously missed the hard target it had been fired at!

It looks like a field gun round, will do some digging and get back to you. I have seen this variety of round before.

Cheers,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest albrown

Hello all.ive finally got a positive id on this round.For those that are interested it is a 3lb 2cwt practice round for the vickers medium tank.These rounds contain a small amount of powder which would give off a small flash and smoke to show where the rounds had landed/hit the target .The round is pictured on the right,to the left is the mk2 practice round

Thank you Patrick for the id and picture