Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Walking with the Anzacs

Mat McLachlan

Hi all,

Forgive me if this sounds like blowing my own trumpet - this is more a public service announcement for those of you on the forum who have asked me about this. (Moderators: if this contravenes the forum's 'no advertising' policy, feel free to edit or delete.)

After two years of hard work, my guidebook to the Australian battlefields of the Western Front has finally been published. It's called 'Walking with the Anzacs' and will be available in bookshops Australia-wide in March (published by Hachette). All the major Australian battlefields are covered, plus cemeteries and other sites of interest.

Drop me a PM or email if you'd like more info.

Cheers,

Mat

Congratulations Mat. Since a few of us are going from here in Aus during July/August, I imagine this will be a 'must have' along with Holts and Laffin.

Any particular bookshops we will find it in (or can we secure autographed pre-release copies cos' we know the author! :lol: )

Tim L.

Thanks Tim. I should be able to arrange a handful of copies for any forum members who are interested - should save you a few pennies at the bookshops. I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Mat

PS: Autographed copies also come with a free centrefold of General Haig dressed in drag...

Matt,

Well done, I could have done with it last year as I wandered about Villers-Brett.

As already discussed with you, put me down for the autographed edition without the drag part :rolleyes:

Peter

I found this:

Walking With the Anzacs

Matt McLachlan

ISBN 0734409079 (978-073-440907-2)

RRP March 2007

Headline Paperback C (234x153mm)

Walking With the Anzacs aims to become the new essential companion for Australians visiting the Western Front. Each of the 14 most important Australian battlefields is covered with descriptions of the battles and Australia’s involvement in it. The book presents a well-illustrated walking tour across the old battlefields. The tours are designed along easily accessible walking routes and show readers battlefield landmarks that still exist, memorials to the men who fought there and the cemetaries where many of them still lie. In this way the visitor will see the battlefield in much the same way as the original Anzacs did, and gain a greater appreciation of the site’s significance. Importantly, the tours are not written for military experts, but for ordinary visitors whose military knowledge may be limited. The tours also focus on the human element of the battle, with quotes revealing the experience of war for the common Aussie digger.

I have omitted the price but this is the url

Walking with the Anzacs

Peter

Thanks for the link Peter (oh, and thanks for the LH diaries - they make very interesting reading)

Mat,

Would love a copy with or without the Haig centrefold.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Matt - congratulations on the publication. You must have worn out a few pairs of Blundstones on the research! I'd love a copy, but I live in Paris (I'm from Perth, but have lived here for a decade and visit the Aussie battlefields often). I'd be happy to pay postage & packaging etc, so is that a 'can-do'? Fell free to PM me mate.

Stu

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Stu, we'll work out a way to get you a copy. Shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Cheers,

Mat

Nice one mate!

I used the Polygon Wood and Pozieres guides from your website when we went there in 2005, they were invaluable.

Funny story about that, wandering bloody road heading towards Pozieres, we came across a fellow Aussie heading in the opposite direction. So we stopped and had a chat and I happened to notice that in his hands he also held a printout of your guide :)

Will definately pick this up for the next trip.

Congrats Mat - If possible - I'd love an autographed copy too - ta, Frev.

PS. I'm sure I'll find someone I can pass the centrefold on to!

Thanks again for all the positive comments. I'll get a bundle of books from the publisher for forum members.

Surfheart: Thanks for the info - it's gratifying to hear that the web guides have come in handy! I actually had to stop producing them as part of the publishing deal, which is why the website only carries the two tours. The Polygon Wood tour in the book is fairly similar to the one on the website, although I've refined Pozieres quite a bit - the walk to the front line along Sausage Valley is certainly interesting, although I've since decided it's a bit impractical, particularly the walk back to La Boisselle! The guide in the book focusses more on the battlefield than the approach route. Hopefully it works well.

Cheers,

Mat

Matt

Pleased to hear the good news and congrats too. Always keeping an eye out for this type of information, so its on my shopping list. If you could save a signed copy for me please I'll send my details in a PM.

Chris

G'Day Matt,

Like every other Aussie on the Forum (or so it seems) I would love to have a copy of your work (again preferably autographed) please send me email or PM as to how to obtain one.

Regards

Pop

Me too please Matt ... and signed of course :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Matt,

If possible I'd also like a copy, If you could tell me how its done.

I have a fairly interesting account of how one of my great uncles spent 1916, he was a machine gunner in the AIF

WalterontheGun.jpg

before a destinguished career in the RFC, I put some of his airplane photos on another post a while back, the quality of these are pretty good as I have the negatives.

avro.jpg

Also my grandfather was with the 7th F.A.B. AIF and I have some copies of their war time publication called 'Yandoo' which is quite comprehensive with maps and photos etc, one is an 8th of August barrage map showing gun positions and range lines etc, I'm guessing these 'yandoo' books are quite common are they?

all the best Mark.

Congratulations Mat on getting your book published. I sounds like sales are going to be good. Are there plans to make it available in 'all good book shops' in the UK?

Neil

Hi Mark,

Could you tell me what year that you refer to with 8th August.

Cheers

Kim

Kim, it would be 1918 just east of Hamel is the front line (the red and white dotted line), this is a scan;

mapp.jpg

this image doesn't enlarge very well, but the jpeg image of it on my computer blows up so its easily readable, better than looking at the actual thing, and it gives positions of field artillery batteries; 520 guns in action in Aust Corps front on the 8th even lists what they were. Some were English under control of the Aust corps. One gun was 14" and another 12". If there is another way of posting the map clearer someone might let me know. Its from a comprehensive little book of three printed by members of the 7th Field Artillery Brigade who bought a duplicator in S/Africa on their way to Europe for the purpose.

Mark