Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st/4th Territorial Bn, Hampshire Rgt, Kut, 1915, Stretcher-bearer and

Dan Morton

Two figures based on the 1st/4th Territorial Battalion of the Hampshires at Kut in 1915. The Lewis gunner is completed and the stretcher-bearer needs about six buckles, fingers on one hand and some cleaning.

The Lewis gunner is a commission and the stretcher-bearer is intended as a gift for a physician. A couple words about the pose of the Lewis gunner. Obviously, he's been shot and is falling over backwards dropping both the Lewis and his bag of ammo. Those of you with really good eyes should be able to pick out a small hole in the left of his chest and a slightly larger one coming out his back.

The figures are both 1/16th scale done in Magic Sculpt and a new putty with the (ummm...) unusual tradename of "Pro-create". No - REALLY, that's what it's called. And mixed with Magic Sculpt it is pretty good stuff to work with. I used the mix to do the topi and back sun-shades for example.

These are to be painted by Roger Newsome, our fellow forum contributor - a really fine figure painter! I should finish next weekend and post them to him. As I'm sure you do - I look forward to seeing him bring them to life with some color!

post-4473-1171227629.jpg

post-4473-1171227644.jpg

post-4473-1171227659.jpg

Comments and constructive critique - as always - very welcome!

All the best,

Dan

Really nice - can't wait to see the finished articles.

Many thanks, fellas!

Which did I start with? Initially I had the idea for the falling Lewis gunner figure, but (to totally confuse matters) he was going to be the stretcher-bearer. But the collector who's commissioned the figure didn't like that and wanted a Lewis gunner. And so...

The falling off the base pose with the figure attached by one leg proved to be easy to build but very difficult to work with as the figure progressed.

A little word about how you build such things. One starts with strong but slightly flexy wire - I use copper welding wire mostly. I drilled completely through the resin cast boot and puttee and ran a thicker and stronger wire than my normal through it. One end went into the base and the other into the putty lower torso. The base is thick and strong resin from another model kit. I bent the wire coming out of the top of the puttee slightly so that it could continue to run up the entire length of the leg and so on and so on. And even so it gave trouble in the rest of the sculpting. The whole attached leg flexes slightly, so every time I tried to put lines or detail or sculpt folds, I had to hold the figure securely in one hand and do the sculpting with the other. Grrrr!~

The stretcher-bearer was no problem by comparison.

Next up, I have a vignette of 2 French Fusilier Marins, 1915 in a trench.

All the best,

Dan

Great work, as usual! You really put life in these... one of thing bothers me;

Were the 2nd Hampshires there? At least The Long, Long Trail says they weren't...

Next up, I have a vignette of 2 French Fusilier Marins, 1915 in a trench.

Sounds nice, i made a comic story of them couple years ago. I recommend using Great War in a Different Light as an inspiration sourse and it provides nice references; here and here.

Many thanks for your comment on the figures and the historical correction.

Altho I'm interested in the history and fascinated by the uniforms and

equipment, I certainly don't consider myself any kind of an authority.

Here's my source -

http://www.1914-1918.net/Poona_div.htm

Is it incorrect?

I would like to ensure the figures are historically accurate.

All the best,

Dan

Many thanks for your comment on the figures and the historical correction.

Altho I'm interested in the history and fascinated by the uniforms and

equipment, I certainly don't consider myself any kind of an authority.

Here's my source -

http://www.1914-1918.net/Poona_div.htm

Is it incorrect?

I would like to ensure the figures are historically accurate.

On the subject of the Fusilier Marins, am I correct that they wore the same dark blue M1898 double-breasted great coat as the Army? By 1915 or early 1916, would they be converting to the 1914 blue-grey greatcoat with 2 small chest pockets? M1915 cord trousers of pantalon-culotte style?

All the best,

Dan

I know what you mean, I spent half the time of my comic book projects searching background information. i din't want someone to point out that "that unit wasn't there that time..."

Bombay Brigade

so they had left...

1st Bn, the Sherwood Foresters

2nd Bn, the Hampshire

2nd Infantry

95th Infantry

So you can simply change the unit :D Problem solved!

About Fusilier Marins... I'll get back to you as soon as I finish eating... :D

I can see where he confusion's arisen. The Bombay brigade was broken up in 1914, with the battalions distributed as follows:

2nd Hampshires to UK (in 29th Division)

1st Foresters to UK (8th Division)

2nd (Queen's own) Rajputs to Suez

95th Russell's Infantry to Persia

There were elemnts of the Hampshires in Kut: the 1/4th (Territorials) had HQ and one company in Kut; both were captured.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Ah, now I understand!!! Duh, it will teach me to read more carefully. Anyway consider the figures renamed 1/4th Territorials Bn, Hampshire Rgt, Kut, 1915. And seriously, thanks for the correction! I've just finished the figures and will clean them tomorrow and get them ready to ship to Roger Newsome for painting. He's supposed to paint them during his next shore leave. So - more fun to follow.

As to the Fusilier Marins, could the web site administrator please move the posts regarding them to another topic [which I'm about to open]? I'd like to ask some questions and put a couple more photos on.

All the best,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the finished Lewis Gunner. Thanks to Dan for allowing me to paint this figure.

Roger.

HantsLewisGunner010.jpg

HantsLewisGunner011.jpg

HantsLewisGunner012.jpg

Roger

Absolutely stunning - top draw.

Glyn

Thank you very much Glyn. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Roger.

Very nice. Very nice indeed. ;)

The finished 1/4 Hampshire Regiment stretcher bearer. Mesopotamia 1915

Roger

Hampshireregt.jpg

Hampshireregt-1.jpg

Thank you very much and quite well travelled too they will have been across the Atlantic twice :D

Roger

Thanks Gunboat!

Let's see....how many figures would we have to sell for me to quit my job and make 'em full time, Roger move to the US to save on postage...uh...carry the one and minus the five.....:)

All the best,

Dan